Bobby thomas and liam Kitching (2 Viewers)

shmmeee

I disagree that Eccles is better, and I wouldn’t say square peg given Lati plays there internationally.

The main reason however is because neither Eccles nor Sheaf (who I would argue is more of an out and out midfielder rather than a pure CDM) can drop into centre half if and when needed, so the it gives the formation more flexibility when in and out of possession.

It should also allow our other midfielders to be a bit less focused on defending and therefore create more for the more attack minded players

Sheaf has played CB before and IIRC did OK, but memory is hazy

fernandopartridge

I disagree that Eccles is better, and I wouldn’t say square peg given Lati plays there internationally.

The main reason however is because neither Eccles nor Sheaf (who I would argue is more of an out and out midfielder rather than a pure CDM) can drop into centre half if and when needed, so the it gives the formation more flexibility when in and out of possession.

It should also allow our other midfielders to be a bit less focused on defending and therefore create more for the more attack minded players

Sheaf can't drop into centre half, ignoring that he did exactly that last season when we had an injury mid game.

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

yeah Sheaf did ok when he dropped in at CB, and to be fair used to play there for Arsenal but he’s far more effective as a box to box midfielder in my opinion - what I maybe should’ve said is that playing Lati there leaves our more effective midfielders to do their jobs without worrying about dropping back

from what I’ve seen so far this season Sheaf has the ability to play a Hamer-esque pass and has been our best and most consistent midfielder, so with a bit of pressure taken off him with a defensive midfielder in there too who knows how much better he’ll get

SBAndy

Diamond, which is essentially what you’re suggesting, could be interesting. Pivots to a back 3 when required. My preference would still be to play 2 AMs and 1 striker, but don’t know if I’ve ever seen a system like that in action. A 41221 without wingers.

shmmeee

Diamond, which is essentially what you’re suggesting, could be interesting. Pivots to a back 3 when required. My preference would still be to play 2 AMs and 1 striker, but don’t know if I’ve ever seen a system like that in action. A 41221 without wingers.

Less a diamond and more a sort of upsidedown house?

steve cooper

Which is very similar to how England lined up in the 1966 world cup final IIRC, except they played the system with 2 strikers, and a back 4.
With Stiles DM, Charlton AM, and Peters & Ball between them.

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

Diamond if you’re playing two up top, otherwise it’s two central or attacking midfielders depending on how you play it

need at least one other decent midfielder either way, and maybe one more proven up top

Matt smith

We’ve spent 4.5 million on a right back 😂

agree re Thomas and Kitching, but surely Milan has to play

and I think Joel is our best signing for what it’s worth

hamil99

Facebook User
You’d think so but apparently MvE doesn’t know how to play RB according to some.

MvE needs to start playing better when he's on the pitch before there's any discussion of where he could play. Honestly the guy just needs to let loose, knock the ball upfield and ghost past people, instead of continuous sideways or backward passes. He's got the talent!

Hincha

MvE played full back for sc Heerenveen last season. There is no doubt he can play there.

The reason he didn't against Stoke is because MR wanted solidity in the back 4 after conceding so many recently & his poor form.

He also shoudn't get his spot back because he cost 3.5m and Lati was free. Needs to prove his worth and learn to effect games more.

skybluecam

Where does Binks fit into this? Think he’s played really well, better than Thomas imo.
They're not really competing for the same spot in a 4 back if MR wants his CBs playing on their strong side.

Don't see him getting much game time for the foreseeable, unlucky as he was playing well.

Chris1987

Kitching is showing why Robins was so keen to sign him. He adds a lot to the defence. Helps that he has Bidwell at LB but the defence looks like they all know their role . Collins adds confidence with the centre backs knowing that he's going to come for crosses

shmmeee

Really impressed with Kitching’s passing from the back. Saw the stuff I liked about Rose in L1, proper thoughtful penetrating passes not just short or lump it.

Reactions: AOM

JulianDarbyFTW

I thought Kitching was MotM by far tonight, but reflecting on it, Bobby Thomas was very, very good too. Thomas had his wobbles early on and I wondered if this level was slightly above his ability given that he'd never played above L1 before, but he's maturing every game. We seem to have a knack of finding defenders who need fine-tuning, and then getting them purring, and I'm starting to think Big Bob might turn out to be a very astute signing.

Users who are viewing this thread