Boom or bust in L1, L2 and National League (1 Viewer)

steve82

The domestic season is coming to a close and were right at the business end now.
We all know the situations at the top but at the bottom it all but looks like Chesterfield are gone, they are 7 points adrift of Grimsby with 12 points available.
Barnet are next on 37pts before Grimsby on 42pts. Forest Green hit another slump after a excellent January/February and need another win to all but be safe. Next are Morecambe on 44pts.
Unless Chesterfield or Barnet hit unbelievable form they both look to be gone from L2.

Heading to L2 from the national league looks to be Macclesfield who are a win away from claiming the title. Anyone from 11th up can still claim a play off spot in a new play off system. Anyone of Tranmere, Aldershot, Sutton, Boreham, AFC Flyde, Ebbsfleet, Wrexham, slimmer chances fall to Dover, Bromley and Dag & Red.

Falling from L1 are already doomed Bury with MK Dons 42pts, Northampton 43pts, Rochdale 46pts currently occupying the 4 relegation spots at the minute Oldham sit 1pt outside on 47pts, Walsall are not safe next on 48pts, AFC Wimbledon on 49pts and Oxford on 50pts. Those are the sides in obvious danger of falling to L2.

At the top Wigan 90pts sit with a 3pt cushion over Blackburn 87pts in second with both sides having 4 games left to play with Tony Mowbray’s Blackburn having a massive game on Sky tonight against the controversial forum boo boy Steve Evans Peterborough at Ewood Park

Blackburn need the win to keep pressure on Wigan or its advantage to Wigan who travel to Fleetwood Saturday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

steve82

Well I’m a Steve Evans man, and I like a underdog so a upset will do me.

Incredible side to have for L1 Blackburn have. TM sticks with his 4231 formation still. Armstrong starts wide right tonight. Domanic Samulel and Peter whittingham on the bench.

skybluetony176

Just looking at last seasons final league 2 table and man it’s a lot lot tighter and competitive this season. Top 3 is looking to be much the same points wise but forth to seventh is completely different. 70 points was enough to secure playoffs last season and if we win tomorrow night we will have the same points total as fifth last season.

As it stands I think 2 more wins will see us safely in the playoffs especially if we win on Tuesday but even that might not be enough this season.

This seems to happen a lot with us. Seem to remember that the season we finished 8th under Mowbray our points tally would have secured us a playoff place the season before. As the saying goes, if we didn’t have bad luck we wouldn’t have any luck.

steve82

Northampton look in a lot of trouble, had a high turn over of players under Justin Edinburgh in the summer before jimmy floyd hasslebaink came in. He failed in January with his signings and they need a huge upturn in results.

Should we fail with promotion I look forward to a local derby with them having not beaten them in our last three clashes

steve82

Blackburn go in 1-0 down at half time after a o.g from the resulting corner of a real top draw save from a George Cooper free kick.

A big second half required from Blackburn to stay in the title race

Last edited:

Sky Blue Harry H

.....and the comeback is complete Blackburn 2-1 v Posh - cue Evans moaning about the referee, dour Mowbray and the money Blackburn have spent !

Make that 3-1 ! (Bradley Dack - good player in the lower leagues)

Londonccfcfan

Just looking at last seasons final league 2 table and man it’s a lot lot tighter and competitive this season. Top 3 is looking to be much the same points wise but forth to seventh is completely different. 70 points was enough to secure playoffs last season and if we win tomorrow night we will have the same points total as fifth last season.

As it stands I think 2 more wins will see us safely in the playoffs especially if we win on Tuesday but even that might not be enough this season.

This seems to happen a lot with us. Seem to remember that the season we finished 8th under Mowbray our points tally would have secured us a playoff place the season before. As the saying goes, if we didn’t have bad luck we wouldn’t have any luck.

Agree with a lot of that. Apart from just 2 wins required. Mansfield will win all 3 remaining. Just got a very bad feeling about it.

steve82

Blackburn remain in the hunt for the title taking the lead late on in the 83rd minute and a 93rd minute goal to wrap up the points against Peterborough to win 3-1

Blackburn’s quality shone through in what was a very entertaining game.

Blackburn should be walking that league with the depth and quality of the squad. To be able to bring on Peter Whittingham, Domanic Samuel and Amari Bell as substitutes is a dream for some sides in the championship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve82

.....and the comeback is complete Blackburn 2-1 v Posh - cue Evans moaning about the referee, dour Mowbray and the money Blackburn have spent !

Make that 3-1 ! (Bradley Dack - good player in the lower leagues)

Great game that was. Dacks absolute quality in L1

Sky Blue Harry H

Agree with a lot of that. Apart from just 2 wins required. Mansfield will win all 3 remaining. Just got a very bad feeling about it.

For me, it's all about Mansfield's away game at Yeovil - we saw that Yeovil are no mugs and as it's their final home game of the season I'm expecting a performance from them. If we beat Lincoln at home though, I think we'll get in the play offs regardless.

skybluetony176

That’s a fair point. Maybe three wins then;) might also mean that the Lincoln game is going to be the pivotal game of the battle for the playoff places. All of a sudden I’m less confident than I was 10 minutes ago.

Londonccfcfan

That’s a fair point. Maybe three wins then;) might also mean that the Lincoln game is going to be the pivotal game of the battle for the playoff places. All of a sudden I’m less confident than I was 10 minutes ago.

Shit sorry mate. One min 'm very confident then I'm not.

If Mansfield win all 3. My concern is we will have to win 3. As 2 wins and 2 draws won't be enough. All because of GD and that stupid game vs Yeovil.

ccfcway

Blackburn should be walking that league with the depth and quality of the squad. To be able to bring on Peter Whittingham, Domanic Samuel and Amari Bell as substitutes is a dream for some sides in the championship.

This the Whittingam that Cardiff let his contract expire, Samuel who has scored 2 goals in the championship in his entire career and Bell who has played one game in the championship ?

steve82

This the Whittingam that Cardiff let his contract expire, Samuel who has scored 2 goals in the championship in his entire career and Bell who has played one game in the championship ?

In a L1 game yes, they will perform in the championship for sure.

Londonccfcfan

League 2 to league 1 isn't much of a gulf.

But league 1 to championship is a stratosphere of difference.

How well has A Armstrong done in championship. Scores goals for fun in league 1. Step up is huge.

Sky Blue Harry H

League 2 to league 1 isn't much of a gulf.

But league 1 to championship is a stratosphere of difference.

How well has A Armstrong done in championship. Scores goals for fun in league 1. Step up is huge.

I agree- big difference, but AA showed me enough to think he can cope easily in the Championship - he has been saddled with poor teams in Bolton/Barnsley previously.

steve82

why would those 3 perform well in the championship yet on the bench in league one ?

It’s a squad game. Amari Bell is a excellent player. Top end L1 for sure. Donanic Samuel will only get better. Whittingham played his career at that level and might be able to cut it still.

My point was to be able to bring that sort of quality on from the bench is excellent

Londonccfcfan

I agree- big difference, but AA showed me enough to think he can cope easily in the Championship - he has been saddled with poor teams in Bolton/Barnsley previously.

If he was 9 inches taller he would be playing premier league.

I'm afraid his limit or potential is a very good championship player at best. Which is big compliment.

ccfcway

It’s a squad game. Amari Bell is a excellent player. Top end L1 for sure. Donanic Samuel will only get better. Whittingham played his career at that level and might be able to cut it still. My point was to be able to bring that sort of quality on from the bench is excellent

I think TM has done a good job and will keep them safe in the championship next year. no doubt at all they will need to strengthen though, its not quite the galacticos that some make out

smileycov

Facebook User
Not if one of the two was against lincoln I feel. Besides, I just can not see a very poor Mansfield side winning 4 on the trot. No way

Londonccfcfan

Not if one of the two was against lincoln I feel. Besides, I just can not see a very poor Mansfield side winning 4 on the trot. No way

Looking on their forum, they are blaming the result vs us at their place as the turning point in their season.

We were miles behind them then in the table, and were about minutes from dropping even further back. They were fighting for autis then.. And that point away certainly had opposite effect on us.

How quickly things change.

Sky Blue Harry H

any others??

Get your point (LOL !) but I was referring to sides he had played for in the Championship - think it was only Barnsley and Bolton ?, both of whom were struggling. Think he would be fine at a middle/upper level Championship team. He has a touch of class.

clint van damme

Looking on their forum, they are blaming the result vs us at their place as the turning point in their season.

We were miles behind them then in the table, and were about minutes from dropping even further back. They were fighting for autis then.. And that point away certainly had opposite effect on us.

How quickly things change.

Was a turning point for us as well. Amazing how a few moments can influence the outcome of a whole season.

Users who are viewing this thread