Match Thread Bournemouth Match Thread (7 Viewers)

To be fair, they're in a decent position this year. Lack of crowds won't hurt them too much as it's a tiny percentage of their revenue. They have to go back up this year though otherwise suspect they'll drop back to their natural level. No issue with Bournemouth. Good little club who've had some investment which saved them from obscurity. Unfortunately it's an example of everything that's wrong with modern football (I'm sure their fans won't agree though) - money rules everything.
Tend to agree about what's wrong with modern football. I admit I am a Bournemouth fan but one resident in Cov for over 30 years and who spent a fair few Saturdays at the Ricoh before the Northampton jolly kicked in. I won't buy Sky so didn't watch the game tonight but just wanted to point out that 5 of the 17 on the Bournemouth Team sheet have come through our Academy. As far as money goes we have shifted 11 players off the payroll since the end of the season and the rest are all believed to have relegation clauses in their contracts. In one sense we were down to the 'bare bones' tonight - don't laugh - with at least three or four probable starters out with knocks. Most of us expect Josh King - absent tonight - to be gone for 10m / 15m before the window closes.
To state the blindingly obvious, I hope you stay up and start off by beating Brentford.

David O'Day

How we got to premiership!

By spending 10x what we have paid for our first XI, grassroots as fuck.

Today you had a midfielder that cost more than that on their own. You got to play championship manager with the unlimited money cheat on. Good team, awful club.

Last edited:

SlowerThanPlatt

Tend to agree about what's wrong with modern football. I admit I am a Bournemouth fan but one resident in Cov for over 30 years and who spent a fair few Saturdays at the Ricoh before the Northampton jolly kicked in. I won't buy Sky so didn't watch the game tonight but just wanted to point out that 5 of the 17 on the Bournemouth Team sheet have come through our Academy. As far as money goes we have shifted 11 players off the payroll since the end of the season and the rest are all believed to have relegation clauses in their contracts. In one sense we were down to the 'bare bones' tonight - don't laugh - with at least three or four probable starters out with knocks. Most of us expect Josh King - absent tonight - to be gone for 10m / 15m before the window closes.
To state the blindingly obvious, I hope you stay up and start off by beating Brentford.

Lerma was your best player on the night. Is he going to move on?

afcb1

It doesn't sound much now, but at the time it was a lot. You can understand why teams do it, the prize (financially at least) is so big. I think I actually prefer this level to the premier league as a fan (or I will once we re-establish ourselves). Just wish they'd ditch parachute payments and introduce some sort of wage cap. At some point some of these historic clubs will go pop as some of the spending at this level is unsustainable.

It was a hell of a risk but simply worked mainly because of Eddie Howe. The owner has been here for years, he part owned the club then added money incrementally and fully backed the manager. If it was Forest, Derby or Leeds people wouldn't raise an eyebrow but it was little old Bournemouth so lets get the knives out I guess....

Not fussed about the PL....five seasons and you get the same pattern and thats survival or mid table. We actually finished 9th and that will probably go down as our highest ever finish. Wages get bloated to simply survive, our wages were £100 million last season for the club.

Getting turned over at the Etihad year on year, soul destroying. That said last season we beat Chelsea away, Man U at home, narrowly lost to Spurs and Liverpool away, drew with Arsenal at home and stuffed Everton away yet still got relegated..

mark82

Brighton Sky Blue

£100 million for getting relegated, £40 million for Nathan flipping Ake, £45 million in parachute payments for this season alone etc etc. It's the perfect example of how fucked the game is

afcb1

By spending 10x what we have paid for our first XI, grassroots as fuck.

Today you had a midfielder that cost more than that on their own. You go to play championship manager with the unlimited money cheat on. Good team, awful club.

You know fuck all about our club....which is blindingly obvious

Brighton Sky Blue

If it was Forest, Derby or Leeds people wouldn't raise an eyebrow but it was little old Bournemouth so lets get the knives out I guess....

Those are clubs with actual crowds at least but all 3 turned into piss takers as well-they aren't viewed much better on here

mark82

It was a hell of a risk but simply worked mainly because of Eddie Howe. The owner has been here for years, he part owned the club then added money incrementally and fully backed the manager. If it was Forest, Derby or Leeds people wouldn't raise an eyebrow but it was little old Bournemouth so lets get the knives out I guess....

Not fussed about the PL....five seasons and you get the same pattern and thats survival or mid table. We actually finished 9th and that will probably go down as our highest ever finish. Wages get bloated to simply survive, our wages were £100 million last season for the club.

Getting turned over at the Etihad year on year, soul destroying. That said last season we beat Chelsea away, Man U at home, narrowly lost to Spurs and Liverpool away, drew with Arsenal at home and stuffed Everton away yet still got relegated..

It's fun playing the big teams. I guess the ideal situation (finance aside) is to be a bit of a yo-yo club so you get the best of both worlds. Winning things regularly and experiencing those big days out (when big days out are a thing again).

mark82

Those are clubs with actual crowds at least but all 3 turned into piss takers as well-they aren't viewed much better on here

In fairness, we've seen the results of spending beyond our means to get back to the premier league and it all going wrong. We probably have a different perspective to most other clubs and their fans.

Brighton Sky Blue

In fairness, we've seen the results of spending beyond our means to get back to the premier league and it all going wrong. We probably have a different perspective to most other clubs and their fans.

It was also over a decade ago that we last did it and nowhere near on the same scale. We have also had more misfortune since that time than most other clubs combined-doesn't alter the reality that titch clubs like Bournemouth owe it all to a rich guy's generosity and have since become too big for their boots.

The stinking arrogance from their players and staff tonight, along with a few of the fans, makes it more embarrassing to get wiped off the park

afcb1

It's fun playing the big teams. I guess the ideal situation (finance aside) is to be a bit of a yo-yo club so you get the best of both worlds. Winning things regularly and experiencing those big days out (when big days out are a thing again).

Those results were a bonus although Everton was too late. Plenty of dross inbetween trust me.

Anyway I'm biting at posts when I shouldn't be and I apologise...I'll leave it here..best of luck for the season and I wish you well. I really hope you consolidate and get back to where you belong.

all the best

mark82

It was also over a decade ago that we last did it and nowhere near on the same scale. We have also had more misfortune since that time than most other clubs combined-doesn't alter the reality that titch clubs like Bournemouth owe it all to a rich guy's generosity and have since become too big for their boots.

The stinking arrogance from their players and staff tonight, along with a few of the fans, makes it more embarrassing to get wiped off the park

Makes me feel old. Realised it's 20 years since our last season in the premier league earlier. Can't quite believe that. It's been far too long.

Brighton Sky Blue

Makes me feel old. Realised it's 20 years since our last season in the premier league earlier. Can't quite believe that. It's been far too long.

We've been out in the wilderness for ages and tonight was a reminder. Just can't take clubs like Bournemouth seriously despite having no right to do that on the pitch

Liquid Gold

This is a few weeks out of date but shows the insanity of it all. Bournemouth acting like they've got the begging bowl out because they have to sell a few players. Literally 4 players' wages make up our entire turnover

1601682397659.png

Tomh111

The wing backs need to be gambling more, if they don't move up the pitch we've got no out ball, both of them were painfully conservative.

The one time we got Giles forward first half and gave Sheaf an out ball we created a chance (albeit via a great touch from O'Hare)

I mean that's patently untrue. Their 3rd goal came because Giles 'gambled trying to get forward and we turned the ball over and he was out of position.

Hutch11

We were 2nd best understandably but we didn't get tonked so I'm happy

Bournemouth, Watford, Norwich and Brentford are right offs result wise for us but the rest are fair game
We're neither as bad or as good as some think we are
We're good enough for mid table in my opinion

Tartan Specials

Agree with most of what you said there. For fans of a certain vintage Bournemouth would always be a fourth div/third div sort of club (the same way we were always a very bottom of the first div club). It's changed days though and if Bournemouth won the 'rich benefactor' lottery then good luck to them. I'd love to go back to the days of terracing and Ossie Ardilles being just about the only foreigner in the league but those days are gone. Money talks - just right now they have it and we don't, but it's a bit churlish to resent them because of it. Grandad signing off now to put on my brown strip and watch Highfield Road 'videos'. 😀

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Fucking hell. Where have we gained hostility to Bournemouth from? They’re a better team than us. When you spend so many years in the prem your team is likely to be high value. You have to spend that to compete

too much resentment on here for something out for their control. Who cares where they’re bankrolled from. There’s not one person here who wouldn’t say no to anyone throwing their cash at us.

When we came down first time, didn’t we buy a striker for the league record?

bournemouth will go straight back up.

D

Deleted member 4439

The year you were promoted from the Championship you made a £38.3m loss. It's not even up for debate, that's spending beyond your means. It paid off because you made the premier league but it could've gone wrong. It's not exactly a fairytale story though is it, you were bankrolled by a very wealthy individual who was putting money in as loans.

But really no different than most clubs, including Leicester, Chelsea, and Man City. The 'natural order' of clubs based on their ability to get fans in through the turnstiles disappeared 25 years ago. The measure of what it means to be a 'big' club used to be based on supporter constituency alone. Now it's about the ability to bankroll. (Like Bournemouth, Leicester also broke ffp in their promotion year). That's just how it is. Not sure why we are signalling out Bournemouth.

Last edited by a moderator:

SlowerThanPlatt

I would be looking at dropping at Giles for McCallum, for the next 3 games at least when we’re going to have little of the ball like last night. He’s better defensively

AFCCOVENTRY

They were better than us and Robins was out smarted tactically. They completely stopped Dabo and Giles who they know the vast majority of our attacks come from.

This isn’t last season and Robins also needs to adapt quickly in understanding to change formation if you have to at half time or during a game. If teams continue to do the High press we won’t get anywhere.

CCFCSteve

Fucking hell. Where have we gained hostility to Bournemouth from? They’re a better team than us. When you spend so many years in the prem your team is likely to be high value. You have to spend that to compete

too much resentment on here for something out for their control. Who cares where they’re bankrolled from. There’s not one person here who wouldn’t say no to anyone throwing their cash at us.

When we came down first time, didn’t we buy a striker for the league record?

bournemouth will go straight back up.

Agree. They were the better team (as expected). To be fair I felt they were one of those ‘too good to be relegated’ teams so expect them to go back up, probably as champions on last nights performance.

The odd sloppy bit of play by us but not going to judge us against a team like Bournemouth (totally different levels). We’ve held our own in all other games. Sending off was harsh but silly, ref appeared to miss Cook shove which caused the Hamer reaction. Hopefully he’ll learn though

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Agree. They were the better team (as expected). To be fair I felt they were one of those ‘too good to be relegated’ teams so expect them to go back up, probably as champions on last nights performance.

The odd sloppy bit of play by us but not going to judge us against a team like Bournemouth (totally different levels). We’ve held our own in all other games. Sending off was harsh but silly, ref appeared to miss Cook shove which caused the Hamer reaction. Hopefully he’ll learn though
Yeah. The meltdown on here when we lose to Watford will be amazing. Their owners are dodgy with their “loans” from Udinese a few years back

dust ourselves off and go again. We’ll still be fine

Users who are viewing this thread