Bowie is back!! (1 Viewer)

Otis

Heard a clip today. Sounded pretty good.

Be interesting to see what he comes out with. Always innovative and usually at the forefront of things, so can't wait to hear what he's got this time round.

LastGarrison

Heard it on Radio 2 this morning.

Thought it sounded shit. Never been the biggest Bowie fan though so I may be biased.

Otis

Yep.

No doubt your idea of art is bulldogs playing pool.

:D

And if you're not a Bowie fan i am thinking more Manilow, Denver or Diamond. Correct?

lordsummerisle

Love Bowie, but nowadays whenever I see him mentioned in a news article worry that it might be an obituary.

Think i would actually cry when he dies, and only time ever cried before was at the end of The Elephant Man.

Gets me every time that film.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Look forward to hearing the album.

Saw him at Milton Keynes Bowl years ago (83 ?) on the Serious Moonlight Tour ........ held the crowd spellbound...... One of my all time favourite concerts. Good memories :D

Joy Division

Off to play 'Low' and 'Heroes' back to back and remind myself that he used to be relevant.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Heard it myself this morning, and although I was a MASSIVE fan of Bowie, I must say, I was disappointed in this.

Houchens Head

I think he lost a few people when he released "The Laughing Gnome"!

wingy

Look forward to hearing the album.

Saw him at Milton Keynes Bowl years ago (83 ?) on the Serious Moonlight Tour ........ held the crowd spellbound...... One of my all time favourite concerts. Good memories :D
Was there myself OSB ,had a great night but wondered if Spellbound equated to boring .:facepalm:;)

Last edited:

Otis

Well Dumbo and the Elephant Man do have something in common, considering the link of elephants.

Maybe it's elephants that make people cry in movies?

Anyone seen Robert Pattinson's 'Water for Elephants?'Or the horror film about a woman trapped in a car, 'Trunk?'

Tad

Bowie was before my time, but having listened to his stuff, I really don't understand what made him so popular. Has his celebrity status just taken over his work or something? I just don't quite understand the hype around him..

6 Generations

Bowie was before my time, but having listened to his stuff, I really don't understand what made him so popular. Has his celebrity status just taken over his work or something? I just don't quite understand the hype around him..

Listen to "Life on Mars"and to "Heroes" at full blast on your own or with head phones.

Brilliant!!!

Tad

Heroes stands out, but the other two not so much to me. I give him credit for trying to be creative, but being creative doesn't mean its good automatically. Maybe he just doesn't appeal to my music tastes..

Last edited:

Otis

Listen to this.

[video=youtube;9jg4ekLG9Zo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jg4ekLG9Zo[/video]

Bowie at his best.

Houchens Head

One of my favourites is Five Years. Great song!

Tad

Listen to this.

[video=youtube;9jg4ekLG9Zo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jg4ekLG9Zo[/video]

Bowie at his best.

Sorry. I'm just not feeling it. I don't dislike it so to speak, but I don't think much of it. That's all..

Last edited:

Otis

Each and every to their own..

Interesting how people's tastes vary isn't it. I for some reason have followed a linear pattern of what bands and singers have seemingly been deemed 'great' over the past 50 years.

60's - Beatles, Kinks, Stones, Small Faces, Beach Boys, Dylan

70's - T Rex, Bowie, Reed, Nick Drake, Pink Floyd, Pistols, Clash, Buzzcocks, Ramones, Joy Division, Devo

80's - Human League, Kraftwerk, New Order, Depeche Mode, Cure, Talking Heads

90's - Nirvana, Radiohead, Elliot Smith etc.

Be interested to see how other poster's 'family trees' of music tastes pan out.

Also, if there are any 'greats' out there I have missed that warrant a place.

Otis

Yep, liked The Smiths. Wasn't quite a huge fan though.

Some of their stuff I thought was brilliant, some not quite so. Got a couple of albums, but as I say, not an out and out fan.

Paxman II

OMG don't get me started. I wasa DJ in the 80's so could manage a list longer than your arm. Sheffieild was producing bands in the 80's that all had significant impact and later went on to be major producers for other artiste and still are today! So much talent in the 80's unlike today.

Bowie is a legend. This new album is actually pretty good.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Love Bowie.....but the new tune is just....Mehh.

OTIS: Other glaring ommissions:

The Who. Velvet Underground. The Jam. The Specials. Stone Roses. The Orb. Pixies. Portishead. Jesus & Mary Chain. Public Enemy. Beastie Boys. REM. PJ Harvey. Sonic Youth. The Verve. Blur. ......etc. etc. etc..

..god, I wish I'd never started.....too many to list....I'm off to my man-cave.......to the Technics Stereo & Vinyl collection batman.

Last edited:

Tad

Looking into other songs he's sung, and I came across this:

[video=youtube;UDEgPVpvy4o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDEgPVpvy4o[/video]
[video=youtube;gURTP21tPWw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gURTP21tPWw[/video]

Back in the early 00's him and some of his songs was put in a game called Omikron The Nomad Soul. Bowie was actually in the game. The game was released for the Dreamcast and the PC and was made by the same company as the makers of Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit (there called Quantic Dreams). Can't believe I've never heard of this game or this before now ( I follow the games industry ). You would of thought having David Bowie in a game would of got it mentioned back then..

Last edited:

Houchens Head

OMG don't get me started. I wasa DJ in the 80's so could manage a list longer than your arm. Sheffieild was producing bands in the 80's that all had significant impact and later went on to be major producers for other artiste and still are today! So much talent in the 80's unlike today.

Bowie is a legend. This new album is actually pretty good.

Talent? 80's? Do me a favour! Those two words just don't go together!

Users who are viewing this thread