Brandon owners: Bees safe (1 Viewer)

Sub

[h=1]BRANDON OWNERS: BEES SAFE[/h]Thursday 25th July 2013, 10:21
The owners of Coventry’s Brandon Stadium have released a statement confirming the Bees can race there until at least 2023, despite reports Coventry City Football Club have reached a provisional agreement to buy the site.
The venue was put up for sale by owner Avtar Sandhu, and the Sky Blues have emerged as favourites to secure a deal. Their interest comes as they bid to move back into the city after relocating from the Ricoh Arena to Northampton due to concerns over their rental costs.
Any plans to develop Coventry Stadium will almost certainly face opposition from residents in the Binley Woods and Brandon area due to the high volume of traffic which would have to negotiate the villages’ narrow roads every matchday.

Attempts to sell the £1 million stadium could also be blocked by HM Revenue and Customs, who have declared it a frozen asset, claiming it is part owned by convicted money launderer Jatinder Singh Batth. Sandhu disputes this and says he is the sole owner of the Brandon facility.
Bees owner Mick Horton recently confirmed he has signed a four-year agreement to run speedway at Coventry Stadium until the end of 2016.
Coventry Stadium’s owners did not confirm the identity of the site’s prospective purchasers, but they say speedway, stock cars and greyhounds will continue to be staged there until at least 2023.
Their statement reads: “The freehold remains available for sale and whilst we have had several parties show interest in securing the freehold for the site, only one has continued to show interest given the existing leases for speedway, greyhounds and stock cars.

“The confidential nature of negotiations needs to be maintained. As such, we will not confirm or release the details of the potential buyer. However, to stop further speculation from fans of the various sports which take place in the stadium, these will all continue to operate at the Brandon site until 2023 and hopefully well beyond that date.
“When we have further news regarding the land deal to release, we will do so. Until then, we hope the above statement will reassure the public of our intentions to see the anchor tenants at the stadium continue to operate for many years to come.”

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
so how does that fit in with Les Reids previous exclusive?

All smoke and mirrors?
Joint use of same arena?
Room along side?
Fairy tales?

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
would it not have been a good idea if les reid had picked the phone up to the Bees to find out what the situation was and to have included this statement in a balanced report in the first place ?

Grendel

would it not have been a good idea if les reid had picked the phone up to the Bees to find out what the situation was and to have included this statement in a balanced report in the first place ?

Not as headline grabbing then though is it?

dongonzalos

Not that I think they will build one. However all those events could continue and you could build a new stadium.

More likely though you would bid for it or buy just to make your threat more realistic whilst trying secure the Ricoh.

SkyBlueScottie

The latest announcement has been made by the current stadium owners, what power do they have to ensure any new owners sticks to the terms of the current leases?

mrbluesky87

Who's to say they dont build a new football stadium with a speedway track inside??

All they would then have to do is move the bees for 3 to 5 years (Birmingham or Wolves) while the new stadium is built:jerkit:

CCFC PimpRail

The latest announcement has been made by the current stadium owners, what power do they have to ensure any new owners sticks to the terms of the current leases?

It's probably just a ruse by the alleged owners to stir up publicity and overplay its value in front of other potential buyers.

But there is that Rugby club next to the Binley Rd/A46 roundabout.....

theferret

Who's to say they dont build a new football stadium with a speedway track inside??

All they would then have to do is move the bees for 3 to 5 years (Birmingham or Wolves) while the new stadium is built:jerkit:

I don't know if the area inside the track is big enough for a pitch, but say it is, what would stop them moving to Brandon as early as next season - before any development work? It holds what, 7000, and would easily be passed by the FL. I don't know if it would constitute change of use, but I suspect not, in which case there is nothing anyone could do about it.

SkyBlueHomer

I don't know if the area inside the track is big enough for a pitch, but say it is, what would stop them moving to Brandon as early as next season - before any development work? It holds what, 7000, and would easily be passed by the FL. I don't know if it would constitute change of use, but I suspect not, in which case there is nothing anyone could do about it.

No where near big enough. UK leg of the speedway GP is held in Cardiff at Millennium Stadium & entire pitch has too be covered up. In fact if I remember right they were saying that it is still a shorter track than some of the European tracks the GP visits.

Maybe they are going to move Speedway, Stox, bangers, & dogs to the Ricoh and we'll go to Brandon.... :)

theferret

No where near big enough. UK leg of the speedway GP is held in Cardiff at Millennium Stadium & entire pitch has too be covered up. In fact if I remember right they were saying that it is still a shorter track than some of the European tracks the GP visits.

Maybe they are going to move Speedway, Stox, bangers, & dogs to the Ricoh and we'll go to Brandon.... :)

I'm not sure the Cardiff comparison is relevant - the area they have to work with there is far smaller than what is available at Brandon.

Like I say, perhaps there isn't enough space inside the track. My suspicion is that it is probably just too small - although I think Odsal Stadium was once used for speedway and Rugby League at the same time.

The area in the centre of the track used to be turfed from what I remember. Just thinking out loud really. Probably barking up the wrong tree.

Coventry-stadium_brandon-4291692.jpg

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
lol les has pissed council off with this headline i see.

what the council and me at the same time our Les is on a real roll isnt he :facepalm: nothing like great reporting ..............

Last edited:

simple_simon

It's probably just a ruse by the alleged owners to stir up publicity and overplay its value in front of other potential buyers.

But there is that Rugby club next to the Binley Rd/A46 roundabout.....

Broad street rugby club is one of the richest clubs in the area, they only moved onto those pitches about 10 years ago.

Less Reid is an idiot, would sell his Mum for a story.

skyblueinBaku

I'm not sure the Cardiff comparison is relevant - the area they have to work with there is far smaller than what is available at Brandon.

Like I say, perhaps there isn't enough space inside the track. My suspicion is that it is probably just too small - although I think Odsal Stadium was once used for speedway and Rugby League at the same time.

The area in the centre of the track used to be turfed from what I remember. Just thinking out loud really. Probably barking up the wrong tree.

I think that Odsal had a very big track. I believe the old Wembley track was about the same size as Brandon, and they had to remove the sides of the football pitch when speedway was staged.

theferret

I think that Odsal had a very big track. I believe the old Wembley track was about the same size as Brandon, and they had to remove the sides of the football pitch when speedway was staged.

Yeah, even looking at the image it doesn't look wide enough. The length is probably OK, but as the football and speedway seasons overlap it probably wouldn't be feasible to accommodate both. There is quite a wide run off area though (see below). Not sure where I'm going with this, but cannot see any mileage in developing Brandon, so thought perhaps their thinking was to use it temporarily without any modifications while they built a new venue, something akin to Brighton and the Withdean. That said, I'm not convinced that even they are convinced any of this is viable.

coventry_brandon_stadium.jpg

Houdi

Brandon is nowhere big enough to fit a football pitch within the track. Halifax at the Old Shay used be the home of Halifax FC and the Halifax Dukes, but that was a far bigger track . Plus of course at Brandon there is the dog track outside of the track, so the fans would be a long way from any pitch. There is no way a football club could play at the current layout.
Odsal used to host speedway as well as Rugby League, however they had to take the corners off the pitch at both ends to accommodate the speedway track.

Last edited:

CCFC_GT

2023? Great news ... gives us time to settle in at Northampton for a while before all the upheaval of moving again.

Warwickhunt

Since when has SISU given a shit about a contract? we had a contract with ACL and where is that now then? A frigging speedway team will be a peice of cake for them to throw out

cloughie

I have heard from within the Brandon camp that our beloved owners sisu have actually invested in a very small share in the proposed buyers company.

Typical smoke and mirrors

Pretending to be buying it. Just to get themselves a minuscule interest and try to ramp the pressure up.

No wonder this wonderful investment hedge fund are still looking to 'buy' another site aswell

Last edited:

SonOfSnoz

Sisu are not stupid! They now want a piece of the Speedway as well as football! Wonder how much that Brody chap is involved in all of this?

Users who are viewing this thread