Breakaway/Phoenix Club (1 Viewer)

In the current situation, do you support a breakaway/phoenix club?

• Yes, I would support a breakaway/phoenix club

Votes: 42 43.3%
  • No, I don't support a breakaway/phoenix club

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • Currently undecided

Votes: 24 24.7%

• Total voters

mark82

There has been much talk of a breakaway/phoenix club being set up now that we have been moved to Northampton (i.e - https://www.facebook.com/Coventry1883).

Simple question, in the current situation, do you support the creation of such a club?

Senior Vick from Alicante

Most definateley, ACL have to reject the CVA and banish SISU and what's left of the club permently out of Coventry. They chose to go so never let them back while SISU are attached a new club could absorb what's left of the old.

Astute

None of these.

If we get liquidated I will support whatever starts up once the dust settles. Whilst there is a CCFC my club will be CCFC. Don't mean I have to go to the 'home' games though.

slyblue57

No.
I suggest those that would, go and support their "new team" and the rest of us will
continue and try to get "our"team back.
Pusb

mark82

No.
I suggest those that would, go and support their "new team" and the rest of us will
continue and try to get "our"team back.
Pusb

Getting the team back is out of our hands, a breakaway/phoenix club would be something in our control. Not saying it is necessarily the right thing right now.

It could help exert pressure on SISU too.

slyblue57

"Getting the team back is out of our hands, a breakaway/phoenix club would be something in our control. Not saying it is necessarily the right thing right now.

It could help exert pressure on SISU too."

Well it ll be easy to dump that team too when the real City team come back to Coventry. Must be great to just pick and choose teams to support !

mark82

"Getting the team back is out of our hands, a breakaway/phoenix club would be something in our control. Not saying it is necessarily the right thing right now.

It could help exert pressure on SISU too."

Well it ll be easy to dump that team too when the real City team come back to Coventry. Must be great to just pick and choose teams to support !

Not sure anyone is doing that. If people wanted an easy option or just change clubs then there are plenty of other options. People who do this would consider it a continuation of CCFC rather than a different club.

mark82

What about Cov sphinx playing a few games at the Ricoh would get them more cash = better team = football league

Don't think people would necessarily view sphinx as their club. Personally, being a fan of non league football, I encourage anyone who can't/won't go to Northampton to give one of the local non league teams a try. A good fun afternoon out, and the club will appreciate it too (whether it is Sphinx, Copsewood, Leamington, Rugby, RC Warwick, whoever your local team may be).

Edit: the argument against Sphinx or any other playing at the Ricoh would be the costs. Not just the stadium costs but there are policing costs/rates which are out of their realm.

Astute

I have lived in quite a few places since moving away from Cov. I have tried watching other local teams. My heart isn't in it with other teams. Same laugh on away days.....then the game starts. There is only one team for me. And whilst that team exists they will be mine.

My youngest lad has the initials CCFC. I hope we can keep the initials if we have to start again. Wife is worried I might want to change his name if not :D

Otis

This is another question that is not black and white.

IF we play in Northampton and STAY in Northampton for 3 years plus, then the answer is yes.

I can't just support a new club though if everything is up in the air and we may or may not be coming back to the Ricoh.

stupot07

This is another question that is not black and white.

IF we play in Northampton and STAY in Northampton for 3 years plus, then the answer is yes.

I can't just support a new club though if everything is up in the air and we may or may not be coming back to the Ricoh.

Yep you are right it's Not black and white, e.g some night support a breakaway temporary but switch back to ccfc on their return with the breakaway being their 2nd team....makes the team look well supported initial but then it will tail off.

RogerH

Sphinx might be happy just the way they are and don't wish to be taken over as a replacement CCFC.

The guys from Cov Utd have said that they would be prepared to change name and colours if appropriate. I think I read that they had acquired the rights to the AFC Coventry name ?

The advantage of a brand new club, possibly at the Ricoh, with our potential support is that we would gain admittance to the Pyramid at a higher level much like Chester did.

If PH4 Hoffman and Elliott were involved, they could buy into the Ricoh, and send a clear message to SISU that they will NEVER own all or part of the Arena.

I think it would be good for all parties to get together and discuss the implications for all the clubs.

tbh444

They don't have to be mutually exclusive options - I'd happily watch a CCFC team in Coventry set up by fans but at the same time continue the battle to rescue the franchised club, if we get it back then great, the non-league outfit can either continue as a recreational thing or be disbanded. I think the trust should be thinking hard about backing such a venture at this stage.

stupot07

They don't have to be mutually exclusive options - I'd happily watch a CCFC team in Coventry set up by fans but at the same time continue the battle to rescue the franchised club, if we get it back then great, the non-league outfit can either continue as a recreational thing or be disbanded. I think the trust should be thinking hard about backing such a venture at this stage.

Why would you start something just to disband it?

Personally I think the Trust shouldn't be backing such a venture.

tbh444

Why would you start something just to disband it?

Personally I think the Trust shouldn't be backing such a venture.

but then 90% of City fans have no team to support (as City fans) possibly for 3+ years? Perhaps some aren't bothered about that but many are. The next best option might be say watching Sphinx, but as someone said they are not City, a fan-run club would be far more appealing IMO

Astute

but then 90% of City fans have no team to support (as City fans) possibly for 3+ years? Perhaps some aren't bothered about that but many are. The next best option might be say watching Sphinx, but as someone said they are not City, a fan-run club would be far more appealing IMO

We do have a team to support as things stand. The rest of it is down to how you feel about the situation.

Colin1883

City are my team...

City are my kids team...

The only way we would follow a phoenix club is if the present club goes tts up and dissolved completely... even then it wouldn't be the same...

stupot07

There are plenty of teams - sphinx, copsewood, cov united, Bedworth, leamington, nuneaton, vs rugby, etc.

A temporary mids combination div 2 team are not city.

mark82

There are plenty of teams - sphinx, copsewood, cov united, Bedworth, leamington, nuneaton, vs rugby, etc.

A temporary mids combination div 2 team are not city.

More City than those other teams. Would have city songs, city fans, city colours & will be in Coventry. They would be more CCFC than CCFC in actual fact ;)

Monners

None of these.

If we get liquidated I will support whatever starts up once the dust settles. Whilst there is a CCFC my club will be CCFC. Don't mean I have to go to the 'home' games though.

Agreed - if it transpires that we go out of business, then that is time to start a new club. At the moment we are still there so we have to deal with it one way or another - for those of us who don't live in Cov and haven't since the 70's in my case, CCFC is the only link with the city (which is in my soul - and that of my Northampton born kids), Sphinx, Utd and Leam are meaningless.

Pack out the away games - sort somethig with other clubs regarding supprt for us, and find an appropraite way to "protest" for want of a better word at Sixfields tp emabarras the football league.

Some more "out there" comms from the SBT would be timely - leadership please as we are coming across as being increasingly more desperate and disperate.

Cheers
Neil

Monners

Agreed - if it transpires that we go out of business, then that is time to start a new club. At the moment we are still there so we have to deal with it one way or another - for those of us who don't live in Cov and haven't since the 70's in my case, CCFC is the only link with the city (which is in my soul - and that of my Northampton born kids), Sphinx, Utd and Leam are meaningless.

Pack out the away games - sort somethig with other clubs regarding supprt for us, and find an appropraite way to "protest" for want of a better word at Sixfields tp emabarras the football le

Some more "out there" comms from the SBT would be timely - leadership please as we are coming across as being increasingly more desperate and disperate.

Cheers
Neil

soz for the typos - a bit emotional at the moment

mark82

Pack out the away games - sort somethig with other clubs regarding supprt for us, and find an appropraite way to "protest" for want of a better word at Sixfields tp emabarras the football league.

Cheers
Neil

Only problem with waiting is that it could just be delaying by 3/5 years. In that time a new club could be half way up the non-league pyramid.

Now, whether a true phoenix club formed after any liquidation would be given a higher league placing (than a club found now) is a different matter.

stupot07

Only problem with waiting is that it could just be delaying by 3/5 years. In that time a new club could be half way up the non-league pyramid.

Now, whether a true phoenix club formed after any liquidation would be given a higher league placing (than a club found now) is a different matter.

To me setting a club up now is a breakaway not a Phoenix club, and if ccfc return within 3 years there will be a lot of time, effort and money wasted by setting up then disbanding a breakaway club.

Monners

A fair point - but difficul at the moment of ex pats to get our heads around it - you may well be right, but the key point really is that we have to demostrate a united front s it were. so if a new club was formed with best intentions I would support it I suppose.

Incidentally - I lived in Kettering for ten years after leaving Cov, and used to follow the Poppies when I couldn't get to HR. Touch me - I'm lucky!

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

If and when CCFC are finished I would support a new club although Ive changed my mind about 20 times i want a Phoenix then a breakaway totally fucked up because I love the City however one thing is certain no way am I setting foot in Sixfields ever.
One more thing where do people get that a Phoenix club would be as low as Midland Combination you are wrong

mark82

If and when CCFC are finished I would support a new club although Ive changed my mind about 20 times i want a Phoenix then a breakaway totally fucked up because I love the City however one thing is certain no way am I setting foot in Sixfields ever.
One more thing where do people get that a Phoenix club would be as low as Midland Combination you are wrong

Breakaway club would be Mid Comb 2, if CCFC liquidated and reformed as newco would not start so low. However, if there was any gap (i.e. miss a season) would have to go to the bottom as Rushden did (and Leamington before).

shy_tall_knight

My problem is that SISU defy all logic / common sense, they may be happy to keep the sly blue cobblers for 5 years at Northants and they may be non-league by then (i used they and not we as don't feel they're my club anymore).

A fans based team may put the pressure on SISU to come back to cov and I don't trust the FL either as they may consider Bedworth or Rugby as Coventry and allow a cheap & nasty 12,000 stadium to be built there. If the original cov come back then the phoenix team may fold but don't think we can afford to wait 5 years on Sisu if their previous 6 years are anything to go by.

Users who are viewing this thread