BT Sport: Hot property Pressley destined for the top (1 Viewer)

The CableGuy

http://sport.bt.com/sportfootball/f...pressley-destined-for-the-top-S11363869122679

Football management is a fashion business. Right now, Steven Pressley is the football equivalent of Armani, Mulberry, or Prada.

He’s hot, a must-have accessory. The chattering classes can’t get enough of him.

He’s even got his own TV show, Friday night’s FA Cup tie on BT Sport between Arsenal and Coventry, the side he has shielded from car crash politics and unwanted exile.

The former Scotland defender, whose leadership qualities were determined as a player with Rangers, Celtic and Hearts before a successful managerial apprenticeship at Falkirk, has flourished in adversity.

Pressley knew what he was walking into last March, when he arrived at the Ricoh Arena. Coventry were careering towards administration, with their parent company heading to liquidation and ejection from a stadium which hosted the Olympic tournament less than 18 months ago.

He has been bold, releasing 19 players from last season despite a transfer embargo that has only just been lifted. He has been principled, in defining and then trusting a group of unheralded young players to deal with a ten-point penalty.

He prepared assiduously, studying development systems at Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund. The unrealised ambition and the unceasing energy of youth is central to his high-intensity, high-pressing game.

His squad is small, and leavened by exemplary senior professionals like Andy Webster and John Fleck. His problem is the double-edged nature of success.

Asset stripping and opportunism increasingly shapes modern football. Coventry, who play their home matches in Northampton and continue to be hampered by owners who lack credibility and authenticity, are vulnerable to the predators.

Despite the absence of the outstanding Callum Wilson, with a shoulder injury, the Arsenal match, one of the highlights of the fourth round draw, will inevitably focus wider attention on their emerging players.

Pressley, too, is coveted. He is deemed to share the hunger of his players, and his mastery of a tight budget has impressed many Championship chairmen and chief executives. Interest is growing, and will inevitably lead to approaches.

There is a great, and growing, tradition of Scottish managers. The game is dying, slowly, in their homeland, which cannot provide a suitable outlet for their talent. But of one we can be certain: Steven Pressley won’t let the Brotherhood down.

ecky

Well done BT
Sisu fail to appreciate what they have and I wouldn't blame him for moving on...in the mean time let us enjoy what he is doing for the great name of CCFC

Sky Blue Kid

A good article, but with one untruth, and one omission...................CCFC were NOT being ejected from the Ricoh, and SP made his name playing for CCFC. Otherwise, as I've stated, a good article.

Well done BT
Sisu fail to appreciate what they have and I wouldn't blame him for moving on...in the mean time let us enjoy what he is doing for the great name of CCFC

Unfortunately SISU will actually understand what a diamond Waggot found for them. And being a precious jewel they know, and we know, at some stage they will cash in. But lets enjoy his leadership whilst we can. And who knows maybe he will see his contract out to full term and by which time lets pray that SISU are just a bad memory.

thaiskyblue

Unfortunately SISU will actually understand what a diamond Waggot found for them. And being a precious jewel they know, and we know, at some stage they will cash in. But lets enjoy his leadership whilst we can. And who knows maybe he will see his contract out to full term and by which time lets pray that SISU are just a bad memory.
sounds good to me.

_brian_

Well done BT

Exactly! I can't remember the exact occasion or quote, but I'm pretty sure I've read that Fisher-wisher-woo-waa, when asked whether he appreciates what we've got in Steve Pressley, just shrugged his shoulders and rolled his eyes, whilst accompanying this action with a gentle tut!!!*

(*As I can't recall the incident, it is very probable that this is a figment of my imagination, born from a time when I've been really, really mad at what's going on and felt the need to create imaginary scenarious to fuel my wrath!!!)

Delboycov

"Asset stripping and opportunism increasingly shapes modern football. Coventry, who play their home matches in Northampton and continue to be hampered by owners who lack credibility and authenticity, are vulnerable to the predators"

I'm sure they're consulting with the lawyers right now!

Captain Dart

I'd love to see SISU take on BT sport.. that might be like a welterweight facing up to a heavyweight..

"Asset stripping and opportunism increasingly shapes modern football. Coventry, who play their home matches in Northampton and continue to be hampered by owners who lack credibility and authenticity, are vulnerable to the predators"

Your probably right. SISU Towers best legal beagles will be beavering away. But by now they will have worked out that what was stated -

"Coventry, who play their home matches in Northampton" is actually True and therefore not open to litigation.

"Coventry, who continue to be hampered by owners who lack credibility" is also correct and an honest statement and therefore not open to litigation.

"Coventry, who continue to be hampered by owners who lack Authenticity" is an honest assessment & Opinion and therefore not open to litigation.

"Coventry are vulnerable to the predators" well that's always been the case so again hard to litigate against.

Now I know what you are thinking ' Yes but that won't stop them trying will it'...... no it won't, but BT aren't a charity and that will!!:thinking about:

Warwickhunt

Why would they cash in on someone who could possibly bring them promotion if not this year then next which will be worth £5million to them long term, No one will pay bore than £750k compensation for him so Otium and Waggott will keep him

runner

That'll make a change then eh ! :D
after all they've not sued anyone for a week !

The CableGuy

Not by phone or email if BT have anything to do with it. :D

Grendel

A good article, but with one untruth, and one omission...................CCFC were NOT being ejected from the Ricoh, and SP made his name playing for CCFC. Otherwise, as I've stated, a good article.

The fact is they were evicted.

Why would they cash in on someone who could possibly bring them promotion if not this year then next which will be worth £5million to them long term, No one will pay bore than £750k compensation for him so Otium and Waggott will keep him

That is the logical and very sensible view Warwick. However during their tenure, logical and sensible have been attributes that have been missing from SISU's capabilities. (Just look at the atrocious transfers of Dann, Fox et al)

Grendel

Grendel....its far too early to be under the influence and talking bollocks, Shouldn't that be after 8.30?

You and most on here mat want journalists to work for the ACL popular front but they do not.

Fact: the club was placed into administration set about by ACL who raised a court order to reclaim unpaid debt
Fact: the club declared administration itself to choose its preferred administrator
Fact: the golden share was transferred to otium through due legal process and the new company could not agree an arrangement with the owners of the stadium so they had to find an alternate ground
Fact: ACL (half owned by the owners of the actual stadium) rejected a CVA incurring a ten point penalty on the club
Fact: we would be in the top 6 without the actions of the said management company.
So, all facts - unfortunately if a journalist wrote these facts they'd be accused of "not knowing the facts" wouldn't they?

Grendel

That is the logical and very sensible view Warwick. However during their tenure, logical and sensible have been attributes that have been missing from SISU's capabilities. (Just look at the atrocious transfers of Dann, Fox et al)

I like the et al bit as Dann and Fox is about the end of it. Perhaps Pressley will leave blame the council and then you'll think he's a wanker anyway.

Delboycov

The fact is they were evicted.

Technically they weren't evicted were they? If I missed that bombshell amongst all the shenanigans at the club I apologise...vacating the premises after being given little option as some believe is one thing...being evicted is entirely another.

You and most on here mat want journalists to work for the ACL popular front but they do not.

Fact: the club was placed into administration set about by ACL who raised a court order to reclaim unpaid debt - Who created the debt?
Fact: the club declared administration itself to choose its preferred administrator Agreed, but that is the arse that is UK administration law, designed to fuck up those who are least to blame
Fact: the golden share was transferred to otium through due legal process and the new company could not agree an arrangement with the owners of the stadium so they had to find an alternate ground Not a legal process the FL have no ability to create civil law, but handed to SISU due to the wholly ineffective governance of our sport by the FL
Fact: ACL (half owned by the owners of the actual stadium) rejected a CVA incurring a ten point penalty on the club Not fact, SISU / Appleton creating admin terms that were unacceptable and putting themselves into admin did that
Fact: we would be in the top 6 without the actions of the said management company. Not fact, we could be in the Championship if not for the actions of SISU. We could be in the top 6 if SISU didn't get us the 10 point penalty by being destructive and mindless
So, all facts - unfortunately if a journalist wrote these facts they'd be accused of "not knowing the facts" wouldn't they? So not all facts accept in your mind. That's why no Journo worth his salary would repeat that bull.

Grendel

Can you do this again in English?

It is in English. Sisu have sold less than 2 players a season for profit so your notion they will cash in is nonsense and the only manager since Jesse Carver to vacate of his own accord blamed the council not the hedge fund hence his slump in popularity on here.

Grendel

I like the "et al" bit, as Dann and Fox is about the end of it. Perhaps Pressley will leave, blame the council, and then you'll think he's a wanker anyway.

I think that is what he meant.

Indeed. He is not the brightest. I will use crayons next time.
I assume "mad" jack will copy this post and store it for future use.

like him or not, they cashed in on robins when we were flying

wingy

There's nothing quite like a large dose of revisionist history writing to elicit a set response ,no doubt followed up with heavily couched rhetoric about being a non fan for not being taken in with the ruse.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Well BT you're really in trouble now because if none of this is true then our owners will sue if not:thinking about:This I have got to see you know BT being "battered :claping hands:in court"

shmmeee

My one hope in all of this is that when Sisu finally go (or see sense, I still hold out hope) Pressley is still here.

He's a once in a generation type of manager IMO. I certainly can't think of one in my lifetime I'd replace him with, and that includes Sillett.

Delboycov

Grendel please forward a link to the eviction stuff...otherwise don't claim as fact something that has never happened....coming from someone that actually agrees with a lot of what you post!

Users who are viewing this thread