Builder needed urgently! (1 Viewer)

Otis

Anyone know anyone?

Like now, this minute.

Terry Gibson's perm

If it is to lay an urgent patio whoever does it check if anything is in the ground first after reading Otis's posts about Mrs Otis

Otis

Now this is going to sound really bizarre (as everything does in the Otis household), but we have a rat in the house. It's actually in our cavity wall!!

We saw it in the bedroom air vent and twice we have seen it go behind the fridge in the kitchen. Pulled the bottom board away from the kitchen unit and the plaster has eroded away at the back of the unit and there is a gap, about 3 inches by 18 inches.

Seen it three times now.

However, we have a small parrot, at least we did. :(

Parrot went walking on the floor and the rat came out, grabbed the parrot and disappeared back down the hole. I kid you not.

Unbelievable!

Council already know and are coming out on Tuesday, but the rat has even come back out again, after killing the parrot. Tried to whack it but it went back down the gap.

Might sound funny but my missus and 11yr old daughter are distraught and in floods of tears.

Need a builder to somehow seal up the gap at the back of the cupboards. Tricky job because the units are all the way and you have to stretch.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Otis

Never ever heard of such a thing and for him to come out and take the parrot ....well I am gobsmacked. :(

Nick

Administrator
Christ, if you aren't on the wind up that's horrible.

Can you not just cover up the gap with a bit of wood and a couple of screws?

Or, do you know anybody who can let you take their dog or cat home for a bit to sort the rat out?

skybluejelly

Or, do you know anybody who can let you take their dog or cat home for a bit to sort the rat out?

That's getting a bit too much like the old lady that swallowed a spider...

Surely you want an exterminator not a builder

Otis

No wind-up. :(

The kitchen units are the problem. All attached to the back wall so you can't get close enough.

Otis

That's getting a bit too much like the old lady that swallowed a spider...

Surely you want an exterminator not a builder
Pest control are coming out. That's not the problem. What in the meantime if it comes out and bites my daughter?

Nick

Administrator
Can you not block it in for now so it can't get out from behind the units?

Do you have any other pets? Get some poison.

steve82

Condolences to you and your family.
A traps the only way of getting rid for sure, poison and he could die in his warm bed in your house.

chiefdave

If you block it up aren't you going to trap the rat in there? You'll end up with a dead rat that stinks.

Nick

Administrator
Have you tried any of the pest control people? Have never dealt with any so don't know the charges.

It must be a bit of a beast to take a parrot..

Not sure where will be open with traps now. I remember at Hoar Park they had some big traps and poison and stuff, I assume for farms and stables.

Otis

Yep, big rat.

Coventry City Council don't charge and they are coming out to kill the rat, but obviously not until Tuesday.

Within 20 mins of killing the parrot it came back up through the hole looking for more food.

We have bought a load of traps to try and kill it tonight.

Found a builder now, he is coming tomorrow to seal up the gap. Too fiddly for me to get to and there are the legs to the kitchen unit and electrical wires in the way too.

NorthernWisdom

Rat inspector is what you need... it won't be alone!

One of the shitholes I rented had rats in between my floor, and the flat below's ceiling. The rat inspector came down, put down poison (said they got called out to this property every few months, at which point I made a mental note not to renew my contract, and find somewhere else to live!!), and for the night afterwards me and my gf were kept awake by the drumming of little feet as they took the poisoned meat back to their nests.

Did dispose of the rats though!

Otis

Rat inspector is what you need... it won't be alone!

One of the shitholes I rented had rats in between my floor, and the flat below's ceiling. The rat inspector came down, put down poison (said they got called out to this property every few months, at which point I made a mental note not to renew my contract, and find somewhere else to live!!), and for the night afterwards me and my gf were kept awake by the drumming of little feet as they took the poisoned meat back to their nests.

Did dispose of the rats though!
Yep, it is the council pest control. They are very good and it will probably be my cousin who comes out, cos he is the boss of the department.

He will bait the whole place. Not sure what happens though if the rat dies in our wall space.

Might not be the best time to throw a party.

NorthernWisdom

Yep, it is the council pest control. They are very good and it will probably be my cousin who comes out, cos he is the boss of the department.

I know who to PM if I get vermin then ;) But surely then he should be out now to do it independently of council, just for fun?

He will bait the whole place. Not sure what happens though if the rat dies in our wall space.

There was no smell from my flood of rats!

Might not be the best time to throw a party.

April 1st was yesterday, btw,

stupot07

I had a mouse in our house last Christmas. Didn't know until I went to wrap the presents and the chocolate coins had been eaten. They had been in the bag for a while, so threw them out, bought some more wrapped them, and low and behold the very next day went to wrap the remaining presents, the little bigger had come back and eaten them too!! Managed to find the whole and block it, but I could here them scuttling around for a week before they decided to bugger off into someone else's house. I couldn't sleep properly for ages.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Otis

I know who to PM if I get vermin then ;) But surely then he should be out now to do it independently of council, just for fun?

There was no smell from my flood of rats!

April 1st was yesterday, btw,
I wish he could come out. All the stuff is locked away at the council unfortunately.

For some very strange reason he is not allowed to take highly poisonous rat poisons home with him.

Terry Gibson's perm

I had a mouse in our house last Christmas. Didn't know until I went to wrap the presents and the chocolate coins had been eaten. They had been in the bag for a while, so threw them out, bought some more wrapped them, and low and behold the very next day went to wrap the remaining presents, the little bigger had come back and eaten them too!! Managed to find the whole and block it, but I could here them scuttling around for a week before they decided to bugger off into someone else's house. I couldn't sleep properly for ages.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

or they are waiting until next Xmas

oscillatewildly

I've had a couple of incidents with mice over the last 12 years or so. I believe in giving everything (mostly) a second chance and had spectacular success with humane traps - Quick trip to the woods and job done. But a rat! No second chance. They have to be killed or permanently blocked out. Good luck Otis, sorry to hear about the parrot.

Users who are viewing this thread