Burge (1 Viewer)

luwalla

I've backed Burge to the hilt , but that was a shaky performance today. no getting away from it. Don't know what's happened to his ability to come and take crosses...as he was constantly doing it well earlier in the season.

That said, it wasn't Burge who missed a bucket load of chances to shoot at goal today, or didn't capitalise on our 90% possession in first half, against possibly the worse performance ive seen at the ricoh from an away team in along time ( Blackpool looked truly terrible in that first half!) So can't blame him for the loss, that award goes to our lacklustre forward line I'm afraid

Skybluefaz

I've backed Burge to the hilt , but that was a shaky performance today. no getting away from it. Don't know what's happened to his ability to come and take crosses...as he was constantly doing it well earlier in the season.

That said, it wasn't Burge who missed a bucket load of chances to shoot at goal today, or didn't capitalise on our 90% possession in first half, against possibly the worse performance ive seen at the ricoh from an away team in along time ( Blackpool looked truly terrible in that first half!) So can't blame him for the loss, that award goes to our lacklustre forward line I'm afraid
I'd say Wimbledon were much much worse than Blackpool. Blackpool were an organised unit. Reminded me a bit of Accrington.

luwalla

I'd say Wimbledon were much much worse than Blackpool. Blackpool were an organised unit. Reminded me a bit of Accrington.
2nd half yes, 1st half they constantly gave the ball away, had nothing coming forward & couldn't even take a throw in properly!
2nd half it was like a different team came out

Skybluefaz

2nd half yes, 1st half never! constantly gave the ball away, had nothing coming forward & couldn't even take a throw in properly!
Yeah in possession they were dreadful I noticed that when they lost the ball though they dropped in to 5 at the back and shape wise were quite disciplined.

luwalla

Yeah in possession they were dreadful I noticed that when they lost the ball though they dropped in to 5 at the back and shape wise were quite disciplined.
yeah fair play they did drop that way , but god they were woeful at everything else & we still should have scored first half... I said to my son , if we don't score against these then we are in trouble, little did I know what was coming second half ( actually I did, just didnt want to admit it ! )

Otis

2nd half yes, 1st half they constantly gave the ball away, had nothing coming forward & couldn't even take a throw in properly!
Agree. Organised in that second half, but totally disorganised in that first half. They were all over the shop and it was like a knife through butter.

They were dreadful.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Burge and the defence are making more mistakes recently but is this because they're becoming nervous because they've lost all confidence in the strikers scoring and think if we don't keep a clean sheet we've got no chance of winning? Then they let one in and get even worse because they think if we let in another we're not even getting a draw, let the second in and then just lose the will because they feel the game has gone.

Ashdown

I got crucified on here for criticism of the mighty Lee Burge recently but I still maintain he's a liability and the defence in front of him are forever nervous of his lack of domination around his area. He's made some good saves without doubt but overall we could surely find better. Remember that old adage about the spine of the team ?!

eastwoodsdustman

Anyone care to remind themselves of dimi konstantopolous? Good keeper in theory but his decision making was dreadful. It set the defence into a nervous frame of mind as they never knew where he’d be or what he’d do.
You can see it happening again with burge. He’s gone backwards at an alarming rate since Walsall and it shows how fragile he is mentally. Not a good situation for a keeper.

stevefloyd

I still maintain and its not me trying to have a pop at Oggy, but we have 3 keepers currently in the frame for a first team spot and all 3 of them, admittedly I have only seen videos of Addai missing crosses and dropping the ball, are not the best, are we expecting too much from our goalkeepers given the standard we are playing? The coaching must come into some form of questioning because they must have some sort of feedback to give to the manager, Oggy has been given a glorious opportunity of working for so long for us but I think we need a younger sharper goalkeeping coach now, maybe I am wrong but time will tell

Otis

I still maintain and its not me trying to have a pop at Oggy, but we have 3 keepers currently in the frame for a first team spot and all 3 of them, admittedly I have only seen videos of Addai missing crosses and dropping the ball, are not the best, are we expecting too much from our goalkeepers given the standard we are playing? The coaching must come into some form of questioning because they must have some sort of feedback to give to the manager, Oggy has been given a glorious opportunity of working for so long for us but I think we need a younger sharper goalkeeping coach now, maybe I am wrong but time will tell
Oggy is too busy working with the strikers on their shooting.

steve82

Agree. Organised in that second half, but totally disorganised in that first half. They were all over the shop and it was like a knife through butter.

They were dreadful.

Blackpool were poor but like Wimbledon were effective and purposeful in what they did in a attacking intent.

The striker Armand Gnanduillet I’d actually like to have here and seen him over the years and liked what he does, a similar striker to Peterborough’s powerful Ivan Toney and given some decent service could well be a good addition.

However yesterday in the first 45 we controlled the game and tempo allowing Blackpool to press us which then opened Blackpool up despite the “forwards” calls from the frustrated ones it worked well.

It only works well at 0-0 tho and we failed to capitalise on our own ability to open them up. They did that successfully from a set piece and a long ball to Gnanduillet who out muscled Hyam to allow Blackpool to comfortably sit back and compress the game no longer pressing hi effectively shutting the door limiting space limiting our opportunities to dictate the game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Skybluefaz

Blackpool were poor but like Wimbledon were effective and purposeful in what they did in a attacking intent.

The striker Armand Gnanduillet I’d actually like to have here and seen him over the years and liked what he does, a similar striker to Peterborough’s powerful Ivan Toney and given some decent service could well be a good addition.

However yesterday in the first 45 we controlled the game and tempo allowing Blackpool to press us which then opened Blackpool up despite the “forwards” calls from the frustrated ones it worked well.

It only works well at 0-0 tho and we failed to capitalise on our own ability to open them up. They did that successfully from a set piece and a long ball to Gnanduillet who out muscled Hyam to allow Blackpool to comfortably sit back and compress the game no longer pressing hi effectively shutting the door limiting space limiting our opportunities to dictate the game.

I don't think we carved through them at will in the first half. Conor Chaplin's chance we did. Second half we actually created better chances when they were apparently sitting back

Skybluefaz

Anyone care to remind themselves of dimi konstantopolous? Good keeper in theory but his decision making was dreadful. It set the defence into a nervous frame of mind as they never knew where he’d be or what he’d do.
You can see it happening again with burge. He’s gone backwards at an alarming rate since Walsall and it shows how fragile he is mentally. Not a good situation for a keeper.
Spot on. Not having faith in your GK massively hinders you as a defender.

Otis

I don't think we carved through them at will in the first half. Conor Chaplin's chance we did. Second half we actually created better chances when they were apparently sitting back
I think we cut through them several times in the first half. I named them yesterday.

Thomas shot parried by their keeper, Bright dribbled all the way into the 6 yard box and hit it straight at the keeper from a very tight angle, Westbrooke's surge into the area where the keeper saved, Sterling's break into the box where he hit it high and wide. Then there was Chaplin's missed header and Thomas screwed another wide.

We were cutting through them and getting into their box with ease and creating great opportunities.

We could have easily scored three or four.

Skybluefaz

I think we cut through them several times in the first half. I named them yesterday.

Thomas shot parried by their keeper, Bright dribbled all the way into the 6 yard box and hit it straight at the keeper from a very tight angle, Westbrooke's surge into the area where the keeper saved, Sterling's break into the box where he hit it high and wide. Then there was Chaplin's missed header and Thomas screwed another wide.

We were cutting through them and getting into their box with ease and creating great opportunities.

We could have easily scored three or four.
The Chaplin chance was the only example of getting in behind. The Thomas shot, they probably had 8 players behind the ball. Westbrooke chance was from a turnover in possession and he didn't get past anyone and wasn't even in the box. I think we have different ideas about carving or cutting through the opposition.

Otis

The Chaplin chance was the only example of getting in behind. The Thomas shot, they probably had 8 players behind the ball. Westbrooke chance was from a turnover in possession and he didn't get past anyone and wasn't even in the box. I think we have different ideas about carving or cutting through the opposition.
How is the Enobakhare one not getting behind the defence? That's exactly what he did.

Skybluefaz

How is the Enobakhare one not getting behind the defence? That's exactly what he did.
Can't find the chance on extended highlights but I think the one you are talking about he did really well to work his way into the area then tried to Meg a defender to get a shot on target. So there was at least one defender between him and the goal. A defender he did not get in behind.

Lamptey

Burge never been my choice, he then has a really good game and you forget about him for a while. He lost that Walsall game for is IMO....

Keeper situation hasn't been sorted since Murphy left, and to think he used to get the odd bit of stick aswell!!!! crazy.

Liquid Gold

I used to be a huge critic of Burge but he won me round eventually last season and the start of this. Last couple of months he's massively gone backwards though. Maybe his contact issue means his head isn't in the right place, maybe he's not a good keeper and just had a good spell. I don't know what to think of him any more.

Otis

Can't find the chance on extended highlights but I think the one you are talking about he did really well to work his way into the area then tried to Meg a defender to get a shot on target. So there was at least one defender between him and the goal. A defender he did not get in behind.
He got behind the defender. There was only the keeper in front of him. Right by the byline, first half. Not the one where he was trying to weave his way through just inside the box.

Hobo

Spot on. Not having faith in your GK massively hinders you as a defender.

True, but not having faith in your defenders can also hinder a goalkeeper.

Magwitch

I’ve always backed Burge still will whilst he’s here but I am coming round to perhaps it’s time for him to move on, but that’s easy to say but who do we replace him with ? we brought O’Brien in and he certainly isn’t better. Go for an older experienced one he’d cost big wages, so we’d have to go for perhaps a prospect out of the fourth division but he has to be better than Burgey. Unless Addai can cut it, now that’s another question.

Gazolba

Burge and the defence are making more mistakes recently but is this because they're becoming nervous because they've lost all confidence in the strikers scoring and think if we don't keep a clean sheet we've got no chance of winning? Then they let one in and get even worse because they think if we let in another we're not even getting a draw, let the second in and then just lose the will because they feel the game has gone.
Or maybe it's the other way around, everyone is nervous because they know we have such a lousy goalkeeper.

steve82

I think having no competition for the shirt has allowed Burge to halt in his performance levels to a degree as his form has dipped since Liam O’Brien’s injury.

Big decision needs making and you could fast track that decision to this week before the deadline on Thursday.
If you weigh it up is he the best value for money in terms of wages, on current terms you’d likely say yes.

However now ask that question on a new improved contract I think personally we could get better value elsewhere to what deal he and his agent may want. So I’d be tempted to cash in this week for what ever we can get however little it may be given he can leave for nothing this summer.

Now going forwards with the few quid pocketed from Burge I’d go all out for Christy Pym of Exeter who is out of contract I believe this summer in similar circumstances to Burge but would command a development fee.

Should we not be able to do that the window I think I’d bring in free agent Jake Keen on a short term deal and give him and O’Brien when fit the opportunity.

Obviously would need a interested club to start the ideal scenario to be done but it’s something I’d seriously consider if clubs were remotely interested now.

cloughie

A good goal keeper should command his 6 yard box organize the defence as he can see what's happening in front of him in . All the top keepers have done it. Which he lacks that those attributes.

Last edited:

PVA

Been one of our better players this season and will leave here to go to a better team than us.

But oh yeah we lost yesterday so everyone's in 'everything and everyone is complete shit' mode.

Otis

Been one of our better players this season and will leave here to go to a better team than us.

But oh yeah we lost yesterday so everyone's in 'everything and everyone is complete shit' mode.
He's definitely been a lot more nervy and reticent since that bad mistake recently.

Users who are viewing this thread