Match Thread Cambridge United - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 16th Sep (1 Viewer)

Bristol sky blue

Willis has never been great in the air. When we play teams like Cambridge who have two lumps up front I'd suggest dropping him for Davies.

100% agree.
Davies is going to be very useful this year against teams who lump it up to the big men up front.
Willis should not be an automatic starter in my book. If opposition has a pacy striker, he should play though.

fernandopartridge

100% agree.
Davies is going to be very useful this year against teams who lump it up to the big men up front.
Willis should not be an automatic starter in my book. If opposition has a pacy striker, he should play though.
We must do more to stop the cross coming in mind you, much easier to do than defend a cross once it's made

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

smileycov

Facebook User
I was behind him, (20foot, where the pitch ends and stand starts!!!) slightly to his right. I felt he may have come and took it on, however that said, marking was very poor which left him isololated and he had no chance once header came in.

The Lurker

we played well yesterday. but as so many times already this season we fail to take chances. we rely on jones and the duke for goals. Beavon is not a goal scorer nor is vincenti.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

The fact we let Ikpeazu score is worrying. Always bound to happen after I opened my mouth though.

Another loss at Cambridge is frustrating!

Hobo

Just seen the goals on the box-could Burge have done better with both?

But probably three or four other players at fault before you start looking at him.

Esoterica

Wondered when he would get te blame.
Burge does have a part to play in the first goal. Starts to come for a cross that's questionable whether he's going to reach it, changes his mind and retreats so he's on the back foot when the ball goes past him. I reckon he'd save that if he'd stayed on his line in the first place. That said it was the last of a series of mistakes of which others were far more culpable for the goal.

Here's a couple of screenshots from the build up to the first goal. First Stokes lets Vincenti tear over to the guy in possession and instead of Stokes picking him up himself they both end up going over to the same guy and leaving the crosser of the ball completely free. He's got to communicate better with Vincenti there and tell him to step on to the other man:

stokes.png Go forward 2 seconds to the 2nd screenshot:
Doyle hasn't tracked the crosser either, just jogging into the zone instead of going to the man.
Stokes is doing nothing because he's not taken control of the build up and is now caught in no mans land.
Vincenti is now marking the wrong man.
The arrow to Willis shows how badly he ball watched/misjudged the cross because he starts of here correctly goal side and shoulder to shoulder with the guy

willis.png

robbiekeane

Not been to many league one/ two grounds but I thought that place was shocking.

Away fans had to literally walk through a cow field to get in, and there were no signs or anything to point you that way so ended up going in the main entrance then having to go back out and all the way round.

Poor girl at half time had to open all the plastic bottles of beer then pour them into plastic cups. Odd. People were getting pissed off but clearly just doing what she's told. Then they ran out of beer.

Agree with much of what's been said tbh. We were asleep for their 1st goal and the rest of the first half was shit. Second half looked much much better. Jones is our best player but worryingly our only attacking outlet. If he gets munched we are in trouble. Even if he doesn't, can he play another 40 games or however many we have...?

We could've scored 4 in the second half and generally wen were the better team. Another day we would have won that but hey that's football onto next week

Esoterica

The other thing I would say too for that first goal is look how deep we are in the first screenshot. Almost on the edge of our own box for a ball played out wide right. If we're 10/15 yards higher then Stokes would already be on the man and the original pass is no longer an option. It's been part of the problem all season and contributes to that big hole in midfield. Can't keep relying on Robins half time team talk to get it fixed because we've only started playing in the 2nd half for the last 3 or 4 games and we will get games like yesterday where mistakes ending up costing us.

Last edited:

Grendel

Given how some rated Willis he should easily cope with this league. He still makes basic errors - we should have took the money and run

Adge

Given how some rated Willis he should easily cope with this league. He still makes basic errors - we should have took the money and run
Not just for him-Stevenson and Haynes too if there was ever money offered.

Adge

But probably three or four other players at fault before you start looking at him.
Yes indeed. For the first Burge had decided to try and come for the ball but then changed his mind and in it goes.

stevefloyd

Weren't at the game so can't comment much. Glad Duckens got a goal, 2 in 2 starts so proving to be a good goal scorer atm.

I'm really concerned when we concede first, every time we've done so, we've lost. That needs to be addressed. Ideally, I'd like us to get a big comeback win vs Exeter.
Ideally I would like us to not concede and thump Exeter

Otis

I agree. I just think he's okay. Do think he can fulfill a role here, but if other clubs want him I think we should have taken the money. Definitely not at all irreplaceable.

Esoterica

I agree. I just think he's okay. Do think he can fulfill a role here, but if other clubs want him I think we should have taken the money. Definitely not at all irreplaceable.
He should be leading that back 4 though as last year's captain but we've been too deep since that ball over the top caught them out at Yeovil which lead to O'Brien's 2nd mistake. After half time of every game since, Robins sends them out higher up the pitch and we play much better. Willis needs to be taking the responsibility for sorting it out during the 1st half. Would definitely like to see Davies and McDonald together against teams with an aerial threat. Is Davies right footed?

steve82

I like Willis though in my opinion I fear his skill set isn't quite suited to league two physical big strikers, and more so over the winter months when things become more direct and played in the air more.

We've already seen a physical Chris O'Grady of Chesterfield have the better of him all afternoon tho thankfully failed to link up play with his strike partners and now again yesterday dealing with Ibehre and Ikpeazu.

On the ground I've no issues with him, he's quick and good in the tackle and he's a match for anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread