Capital One Cup (1 Viewer)

Kingokings204

Crap fixture isn't it really. A much better team and we are at "home" great

torchomatic

Wouldn't make any difference. Even if it was Liverpool, United or Chelsea there'd still only be 1500, wouldn't there? </sarcasm>

Crap fixture isn't it really. A much better team and we are at "home" great

torchomatic

Kingokings204

Wouldn't make any difference. Even if it was Liverpool, United or Chelsea there'd still only be 1500, wouldn't there? </sarcasm>

Wouldn't a lot of locals go though so may not actually be Cov fans. I agree though. More fans would turn up.

Just Cov v Cardiff. Isn't a thriller is it.

torchomatic

Otis

Wouldn't a lot of locals go though so may not actually be Cov fans. I agree though. More fans would turn up.

Just Cov v Cardiff. Isn't a thriller is it.

Very true, Could be a fair few of Northampton neutral locals go just to watch this one game.

Terry Gibson's perm

It would not matter to me if we got one of the big sides at Sixfields I still wouldn't go, before anybody says it I didn't go to Arsenal last season either.

torchomatic

Ah, I can see where this is going and can predict the "day after" threads...."yeah, so there were XXXX there, but I bet most of them were from Northampton...."

Something to look forward to.

Very true, Could be a fair few of Northampton neutral locals go just to watch this one game.

Kingokings204

Ah, I can see where this is going and can predict the "day after" threads...."yeah, so there were XXXX there, but I bet most of them were from Northampton...."

Something to look forward to.

It would be true though and you know it. If Northampton were playing at the Ricoh and they drew arsenal in a cup then I would go. Simple really isn't it.

torchomatic

I'm sure some locals would go, of course. But both you and I know that many on here will insist all the extra people are from Northampton and not Coventry supporters. Now that would also be true and you know it. :whistle:

It would be true though and you know it. If Northampton were playing at the Ricoh and they drew arsenal in a cup then I would go. Simple really isn't it.

Kingokings204

I'm sure some locals would go, of course. But both you and I know that many on here will insist all the extra people are from Northampton and not Coventry supporters. Now that would also be true and you know it. :whistle:

I have no doubts that some Cov fans would go also just because it's a big draw. I wouldn't personally but yes I agree others would.

Sounds like a fantastic match. Shame its at Shitfields. But chances are i'll be going to the hill for this one. So look out for a fat blonde guy and that will be me

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Two CCFC's at Sickfields? Should be fun!

Hobo

It would not matter to me if we got one of the big sides at Sixfields I still wouldn't go, before anybody says it I didn't go to Arsenal last season either.

That's two of us then. I haven't got much appetite for away games next year the way things stand at the minute. SISU have sucked the life out of the club and for me the pride.

mrbluesky87

That's two of us then. I haven't got much appetite for away games next year the way things stand at the minute. SISU have sucked the life out of the club and for me the pride.

Make that 3. No home or away games last year and so will be the same this year regardless of whom we play much to the disappointment of my lad.

Im just hoping for a bloody miracle still as I was at the same stage last year that all will be well and we kick off at the Ricoh.

Neutral Fan

Highly unlikely. If Cobblers were playing Cardiff in League Cup Round 1 I would expect only a couple of thousand locals would watch. So, a League 1 team v Championship team neither of whom are even Northampton?... I can't see any local interest at all.

By way of information, Northampton Saints filled their half of Twickenham when they won the Rugby Premiership a fortnight ago. 30, 000 then watched them parade the next day. Northampton is a rugby union town.

Monners

Highly unlikely. If Cobblers were playing Cardiff in League Cup Round 1 I would expect only a couple of thousand locals would watch. So, a League 1 team v Championship team neither of whom are even Northampton?... I can't see any local interest at all.

By way of information, Northampton Saints filled their half of Twickenham when they won the Rugby Premiership a fortnight ago. 30, 000 then watched them parade the next day. Northampton is a rugby union town.

It is also a town with plenty of people football fans - its just that they don't support Northampton, and mostly don't attend games anywhere on a regular basis I suspect (London clubs get most support from those that go). Agreed though, this game will go completely unnoticed

Last edited:

lewys33

So a team that were forced to change their colours are playing a team who were forced to play "home" games in Northampton.

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for nobody to turn up!

Na. Were a football town. Compare the pubs and general atmosphere in the town on Saturday just gone to how they were in the Rugby world cup or for a big six nations game. No comparison. The Rugby team has been brilliantly run since turning professional, hence their success and big crowds. The Cobblers have never been well run (hence the rent deal). I'd expect any team's fans to fill their half of the national stadium when they were playing for the English title, same goes for the parade (similar numbers turned up for us when we won the division three play offs by the way).

A football team in this town that was run in the same way in the equivalent position (top half of the premier league, winning trophies, playing in europe etc) would be getting bigger crowds than 14,000. It shows when we get any small modicum of success, all the Liverpool/United fans in town remember who their home town team is and get on board which is fair enough I suppose. What would be interesting is if Coventry got one of the big teams in a home cup game at sixfields, although I know when my brother in law tried to get a ticket for the Wolves game last season in the Coventry end (he's a wolves fan living in Northampton) they wouldn't sell it to them as he wasn't on their data base and had a Northampton postcode.

Moff

I wouldn't say 30,000 out of a population of 212,000 makes it a Rugby town, although the Rugby club are well run and now successful. I have been to see the Saints and its a good set up.

As Lift Tower has said the town is pro football as well as Rugby, and if the Football club was well run I would agree with him that they would have better crowds, as sadly as it hurts me to say it Leicester seem to run both well.

I live in hope for CCFC and Cov Rugby Club, to achieve what our Leicester rivals have done..although that hope is nearly all drained.

RegTheDonk

It's the Capital One Cup first round...not the Champions League! What were you expecting, Real Madrid?! When you consider half of the teams outside of the Prem, it's not a bad tie for the 1st round!

An interesting game is MK vs Wimbledon. Probably the most passionate tie of the round, if not the most glamorous.

Hobo

I wouldn't say 30,000 out of a population of 212,000 makes it a Rugby town, although the Rugby club are well run and now successful. I have been to see the Saints and its a good set up.

As Lift Tower has said the town is pro football as well as Rugby, and if the Football club was well run I would agree with him that they would have better crowds, as sadly as it hurts me to say it Leicester seem to run both well.

I live in hope for CCFC and Cov Rugby Club, to achieve what our Leicester rivals have done..although that hope is nearly all drained.

Coventry once run both well too....and like Leicester had a good speedway team!

Users who are viewing this thread