Cardiff Match Thread (1 Viewer)

LJC_CCFC

Yes. Did you?

Yep , these were the problems

Clarke and Pugh aren't wing backs, yet at times are our only attacking threat. They along with the two forwards find themselves in forward areas but have no midfielders to link up with.

The midfield three don't know what their exact roles are, and only have each other to pass the ball to, before ultimately going backwards.

The whole structure is wrong and as a result we invite pressure on, whilst allowing the other team to dominate the ball.

When we occasionally get forward, they're aren't enough bodies in advanced positions for us to create anything.

These are good players, they just haven't a fucking clue how to play this system. Play 4-4-2 and we would reap the rewards. 5-3-2 just restricts a teams ability to attack. Even the Dutch got it wrong in the WC against Costa Rica, if they'ed set up in a 4-3-3 they would have won the game easily, by setting up in a 5-3-2 they allowed Costa Rica possession and a foothold in the game

Chez78

It's not mid season and hes changed formation, hes had all pre-season to work on it, granted, I understand what you mean.

It doesn't matter if they weren't his first choice, he has a budget and he has to work within that, these are his signings, some from a higher level. He's said he signed Swanson & O'Brien to play on the wings, our current formation doesn't allow that, he has signed the wrong players for the formation he wants to play. Even then, if we were to play with wingers in a 442 then we still lack a target man.

IMO Tudguy and Pugh should never have been signed. It's like someone has offered him these players, hasn't really thought it through and is now adjusting to fit these in.

Your right it's not mid season it's the very start and because we ain't hit the ground running we're acting like it's the end of the world, for Christ sakes utd started shit every year for about six years and so did Everton. And I'm not debating they are his signings I've already questioned McQuoid,webster, and other Pressley additions, but it's what we can attract plain and simple surely you don't think top quality players are queuing up to join.

Look I agree with you on his formation choice, lack of tempo, plying people out of position but just not prepared to call for the sack on two gams that I actually expects to loose. For the record I think we'll loose the next one and at best we can hope for a draw, I still think we'll scrape mid table and with what we have to work with that would be half decent.

LJC_CCFC

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that if - man for man - we're not as good as our peers; we'll lose irrespective of formation

That was a reserve Cardiff side, who we just allowed to come onto us. If what you're saying is true, how come all of those shocks happened yesterday?

Mary_Mungo_Midge

These are good players, they just haven't a fucking clue how to play this system. Play 4-4-2 and we would reap the rewards. 5-3-2 just restricts a teams ability to attack. Even the Dutch got it wrong in the WC against Costa Rica, if they'ed set up in a 4-3-3 they would have won the game easily, by setting up in a 5-3-2 they allowed Costa Rica possession and a foothold in the game

I'm sorry, any comparison you make between World Cup players and their formations and the quality of player we currently have is like tying to compare Usian Bolt to a Morris Dancer.

Yes, formations make a significant difference; but the players on either side need to be of equivalent quality. After Christmas last year; ours weren't. As a body, they are now significantly weaker. That's your fundamental problem.

Go into a pub. Find a decent old boxer. Orthodox. Tell him you'll fight him in the car park as long as he fights southpaw. He'll kill you. Understand where I'm coming from?

Kingokings204

I didn't go tonight but I have purchased a season ticket for this season (and had one last season.)

For me, it has nothing to do with cheap tickets or blaming the council or supporting sisu. It is all about supporting the team. I thought long and hard about whether to renew my ticket and it was a very difficult decision to make. I hate this as much as everyone who chooses not to go, and I very much "do see it". To suggest otherwise is just plain wrong.

I still respect your choice to go. It's a free country. I was having a rant and rightly so.

I'm sorry but If I was part of 993 fans I would think again. You see it and I see it but what we see differs. I find myself in the majority and I am happy about that.

It wasn't exactly a great advert for is or the capital cup. Coventry will never be on the tv again I assure you. That was laughable. Dave jones couldn't stop pissing himself. He is right. I find myself laughing more a nervous embarrassing laughter sadly.

LJC_CCFC

I'm sorry, any comparison you make between World Cup players and their formations and the quality of player we currently have is like tying to compare Usian Bolt to a Morris Dancer.

Yes, formations make a significant difference; but the players on either side need to be of equivalent quality. After Christmas last year; ours weren't. As a body, they are now significantly weaker. That's your fundamental problem.

Go into a pub. Find a decent old boxer. Orthodox. Tell him you'll fight him in the car park as long as he fights southpaw. He'll kill you. Understand where I'm coming from?

Dinosaur opinions Goodnight

Mary_Mungo_Midge

That was a reserve Cardiff side, who we just allowed to come onto us. If what you're saying is true, how come all of those shocks happened yesterday?

If it's all down to formation again, that beardy fella in the stand must love folk like you, as it's all Pressley's fault; and he's got off scot-free. Again

Marty

Your right it's not mid season it's the very start and because we ain't hit the ground running we're acting like it's the end of the world, for Christ sakes utd started shit every year for about six years and so did Everton. And I'm not debating they are his signings I've already questioned McQuoid,webster, and other Pressley additions, but it's what we can attract plain and simple surely you don't think top quality players are queuing up to join.

Look I agree with you on his formation choice, lack of tempo, plying people out of position but just not prepared to call for the sack on two gams that I actually expects to loose. For the record I think we'll loose the next one and at best we can hope for a draw, I still think we'll scrape mid table and with what we have to work with that would be half decent.

No one is calling for his head (well probably some bellend is), simply saying that performance tonight is simply unacceptable and things need to vastly improve and quick, It doesn't help when he comes out and says we played well and have positives to take from the game.

You're right, I don't think top quality players are queuing up to sign for us but he has a budget and has to work within that, just like every other manager.

I'm struggling to think of one signing of his that has been a success.

Chez78

Shocks in cup games surely not!! How many clubs right off the carling cup every year as a headache they don't need. Yes we played a weakend Cardiff team but we are lacking all our goals from last year and we're learning how our new strike/attacking threat works. I feel the frustration but I just can't see why people didn't see this coming

Chez78

No one is calling for his head (well probably some bellend is), simply saying that performance tonight is simply unacceptable and things need to vastly improve and quick, It doesn't help when he comes out and says we played well and have positives to take from the game.

You're right, I don't think top quality players are queuing up to sign for us but he has a budget and has to work within that, just like every other manager.

I'm struggling to think of one signing of his that has been a success.

Can't argue with any of that, I've really tried and hoped to be proved wrong about his signings but so far I've hated them all bar fleck (not sure if that's his), for me and this has been pointed out by plenty more on here his budget is that of a conference team and that's the big problem.

I really do hope he drops the formation but I'm not jumping on the end of the world band wagon just yet.

The Reverend Skyblue

LJC-ccfc , you may know all the stats behind all the research etc , but have you actually played the game.

Its pretty clear you know all the facts and stats, but have you played the game at any decent level, as you can not beat the experience of doing this

skybluetoon

I still respect your choice to go. It's a free country. I was having a rant and rightly so.

I'm sorry but If I was part of 993 fans I would think again. You see it and I see it but what we see differs. I find myself in the majority and I am happy about that.

It wasn't exactly a great advert for is or the capital cup. Coventry will never be on the tv again I assure you. That was laughable. Dave jones couldn't stop pissing himself. He is right. I find myself laughing more a nervous embarrassing laughter sadly.

Last 25 minutes was OK ish, with everything before that being pretty crap I agree. I get the rant, and I'm more than happy with your choice as I nearly made the same one.

I just wish there could be a bit less of the us and them attitude between fans of the same team. I'm not saying that's what you're doing by the way, but it is a common theme on this forum and that's a sad state of affairs.

Marty

Can't argue with any of that, I've really tried and hoped to be proved wrong about his signings but so far I've hated them all bar fleck (not sure if that's his), for me and this has been pointed out by plenty more on here his budget is that of a conference team and that's the big problem.

I really do hope he drops the formation but I'm not jumping on the end of the world band wagon just yet.

I think Fleck was signed by Thorn.

LJC_CCFC

LJC-ccfc , you may know all the stats behind all the research etc , but have you actually played the game.

Its pretty clear you know all the facts and stats, but have you played the game at any decent level, as you can not beat the experience of doing this

Yeah I played the game, I've also watched and studied the game. These are just my opinions from what I've seen, It's obvious that the whole situation with the club atm doesn't help, but to just blindly throw that in as the reason for us under performing is laughable. To put it plainly 5-3-2 with these players doesn't work. 4-4-2 to will allow us to compete in league one as the standard is pretty damn average, gone are the days when you needed to have the quality of a side like Leicester, Leeds, Norwich and Southampton to get out of this league. We've seen that in recent years with the likes of Yeovil and Donny going up, even Orient who had consistently finished just outside the play offs for three years, made the play off final with basically the same squad from previous seasons.

We need to start with:

Allsop

Phillips
Webster (New Cb preferable)
Johnson
Pugh

O'Brien
Thomas
Fleck
Swanson

Tudgay
McQuoid

Then we can actually compete in games

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Few positives tonight. Didn't play well enough for much of the game. Glad it was a cup game tbh!

Haynes has a great cross on him! About time we had someone in the team that can put a good ball across! Just need people in the box to convert the chances as Miller was tonight!

Good to see Miller off the mark. Shame he couldn't do better with his earlier challenge.

OBrien again much involved.

Frustrating to see the ball played backwards a lot! I'm all for passing football, but pass it forwards ffs! Especially at set pieces.

LJC_CCFC

And many 'old timers' reading this might conclude you sound like you've learned everything you 'know' by playing FIFA on your Xbox...[/QUOTE said:
Ahahaha I'm 20 tbf, and I actually think playing FIFA is ruining a generation of football fans as it gives them a warped understanding of the game. Good stereotype to throw out though

Last edited:

letsallsingtogether

Went up the hill tonight as I walked up to the ground I saw a sorry state of a ground.
Couldn't stop laughing that some would actually pay to go into that place.

Spoke to Nigel tonight he was phoned up by Fisher and offered 2 Free tickets to the game.
Fair play to him told them to F Off and came on the hill.
Cracking atmosphere from the hill tonight never stopped for the whole game.

All 156 off us all ages many virgins to the hill well done to you all and well done to the Cardiff fans for joining in the protests. shame more of our own didn't care enough to join in from inside.

Oh and as for the game the less said the better on to forget me thinks.......

Chez78

Yeah I played the game, I've also watched and studied the game. These are just my opinions from what I've seen, It's obvious that the whole situation with the club atm doesn't help, but to just blindly throw that in as the reason for us under performing is laughable. To put it plainly 5-3-2 with these players doesn't work. 4-4-2 to will allow us to compete in league one as the standard is pretty damn average, gone are the days when you needed to have the quality of a side like Leicester, Leeds, Norwich and Southampton to get out of this league. We've seen that in recent years with the likes of Yeovil and Donny going up, even Orient who had consistently finished just outside the play offs for three years, made the play off final with basically the same squad from previous seasons.

We need to start with:

Allsop

Phillips
Webster (New Cb preferable)
Johnson
Pugh

O'Brien
Thomas
Fleck
Swanson

Tudgay
McQuoid

Then we can actually compete in games

Jesus Christ !!! You've studied the game and you'd actually start with McQuoid what did you study fucking champ manager he's bloody awful and at best will manage ten goals. Won't disagree with the formation though and dropping Webster (not hid my feelings on him), calling a formation change ain't hard after what we've seen.

LJC_CCFC

Jesus Christ !!! You've studied the game and you'd actually start with McQuoid what did you study fucking champ manager he's bloody awful and at best will manage ten goals. Won't disagree with the formation though and dropping Webster (not hid my feelings on him), calling a formation change ain't hard after what we've seen.

He's played twice, thought he showed a couple of nice touches when he actually got the ball

junglej13

The front two were so isolated because of how we were set up it's very harsh to slag off McQuoid. Swanson was pretty dire up front but when he dropped a bit deeper he actually showed some classy touches.

ccfc92

The front two were so isolated because of how we were set up it's very harsh to slag off McQuoid. Swanson was pretty dire up front but when he dropped a bit deeper he actually showed some classy touches.

it was the same against Bradford. minimal attacking play, mainly in our own half :(

Kingokings204

Last 25 minutes was OK ish, with everything before that being pretty crap I agree. I get the rant, and I'm more than happy with your choice as I nearly made the same one.

I just wish there could be a bit less of the us and them attitude between fans of the same team. I'm not saying that's what you're doing by the way, but it is a common theme on this forum and that's a sad state of affairs.

Yes sadly we are devided but people have made us devided. I know a handful of people personally who have bought season tickets like yourself and I know they are genuine and their reasons are like yours.

I completely get it and you are still a supporter. We all are. I just this misery ends and we can talk about crap managers and players etc. Not 993 fans and sixfields stadium.

I wish you and the other ST holders genuine luck and have a good time on Saturday and I for one will be cheering on a win from the radio anyway.

Hobo

I think Fisher and Waggott have been a shit strike force over the last few season.

Kingokings204

Miller and tudgay upfront against the blades.

Stop being so defensive. The goals we concede are not die to lack of people behind the ball it's due to individual errors and lack of quality in particular J. Clarke who is awful. Much better at cb for mine.

Needs to be 4-4-2 I think we all agree. I do like Swanson and I brien, 2 good players IMO.

Team against sheff utd.

4-4-2

Burge (impressed me) plus he is ours.

Right back Phillips,
CBs Webster and Clarke,
Left back Haynes.

Right mid Swanson
CMs fleck and o brien
Left mid Pugh.

Tudgay and miller up top.

Agree?

But it can only be this way.There are those that go, and those that will not. We all have our reasons and I find my self in the wont go, which is very hard after 46 years, but I refuse to condone SISU in anyway. and you are in the will go camp. That polarity is how it will be until the end.

What that end may be....we just can guess.

CCFC_Charlie

Haynes and Swanson the positives. Miller took his goal well but he should have buried that first chance. Jordan Clarke can't play RWB, I'd have him in the centre with Johnson and play Phillips on the right. O'Brien signing makes no sense in this formation, he's a winger not a centre mid. Still three players short.

Hobo

Miller and tudgay upfront against the blades.

Stop being so defensive. The goals we concede are not die to lack of people behind the ball it's due to individual errors and lack of quality in particular J. Clarke who is awful. Much better at cb for mine.

Needs to be 4-4-2 I think we all agree. I do like Swanson and I brien, 2 good players IMO.

Team against sheff utd.

4-4-2

Burge (impressed me) plus he is ours.

Right back Phillips,
CBs Webster and Clarke,
Left back Haynes.

Right mid Swanson
CMs fleck and o brien
Left mid Pugh.

Tudgay and miller up top.

Agree?

Swap Pugh and Haynes round for starters,

Chez78

Can't disagree with Swanson and i might agree with McQuoid on the wing never been a striker though, believe me I want him to prove me wrong and will support him all day long when I go. At present though as a striker I'm calling shite until proven otherwise

Users who are viewing this thread