Cardiff - 'Palace result should not stand' (1 Viewer)

Otis

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27062091

Cardiff's 3-0 defeat by Crystal Palace in early April should not be allowed to stand, the Welsh club has said in a five-page letter seen by the BBC.

The document, sent by club lawyers to the Premier League, alleges Palace boss Tony Pulis knew sporting director Iain Moody was trying to obtain Cardiff's starting line-up before the game.

The club claims it has proof Moody succeeded and says this breaches league rules. Pulis declined to comment when contacted by the BBC, although Palace previously denied the claims.

Cardiff states that clubs should act in good faith to one another and calls into serious question the integrity of the match.

The club says Crystal Palace cheated and wants the Premier League to take serious action.

Now for me, I can't see this has legs at all. Yep, it was wrong and yes Palace will be punished, but simply knowing a team line up before a game? Can't see how that could possibly warrant a game being replayed.

Here's the Cardiff line up the game before the Palace match;

Marshall
Fabio (Zaha - 36' )
Taylor
Turner
Caulker
Théophile-Catherine
Mutch
Medel (Whittingham - 88' )
Campbell
Bellamy
Gunnarsson (Daehli - 45' )

And here's the line-up for the Palace game;

Marshall
Théophile-Catherine
Taylor
Turner
Caulker
Medel
Zaha (Noone - 62' )
Mutch
Campbell
Jones (Cowie - 78' )
Daehli (Bellamy - 72' )

Last edited:

SlowerThanPlatt

Taking points from a team is possible, but giving a team points would never happen. It wouldn't surprise me if the FA did nothing until the end of the season and if they chose to punish Palace with a points deduction it would be done in a way that didn't affect the league table.

Otis

Agree Stu.

Wrong doing and punishable but hardly warranting a replayed game. That is indeed straw clutching at best.

SlowerThanPlatt

While Cardiff player Aron Gunnarsson is named as the source of the leak in the Moody text, he has denied to the club that he was behind it. His agent, Jerry de Koning, has also denied leaking the team.

:thinking about:

wingy

Reading that ,why did'nt they expose this before the game as the knowledge of It was there.

Would have created a very volatile approach to the game and maybe put the Edge back In their favour .

I'm not so convinced the 3-0 result was unlikely or unexpected TBH.

Users who are viewing this thread