CCC statement a disaster for Sisu and CCFC (2 Viewers)

OyJimmy

I can't help but think today's move by the council opens the door for another football club to play at the Ricoh. Realistically only a football club will want to consider a stadium with a capacity of 32000. A rugby club will never get near those numbers. No one is going to roof in the Ricoh it will need a new tenant.

If the door is now open to another football club Eg Cov United for example than Sisus incompetence will have led to the creation of a 2 club City. Cov fans will no doubt be split over this some preferring to wait 5 years or so for CCFC to build a new ground. Whilst others get behind a new club.

A well supported club starting 10 leagues down will have the money to climb the leagues quickly. In 5 years time it could conceivably be only 5 leagues down.

Sisu can't afford for this to happen. CCFC could face falling gates and a new rival. Time for Sisu to find another buyer who can do a deal with the council or the city of Cov faces a grim 2 club future.

Hobo

SISU are running the club it is all down to them. Do a deal for the Ricoh or build new? Both requires money? One cheaper than the other? Can they afford either?

Grendel

I can't help but think today's move by the council opens the door for another football club to play at the Ricoh. Realistically only a football club will want to consider a stadium with a capacity of 32000. A rugby club will never get near those numbers. No one is going to roof in the Ricoh it will need a new tenant.

If the door is now open to another football club Eg Cov United for example than Sisus incompetence will have led to the creation of a 2 club City. Cov fans will no doubt be split over this some preferring to wait 5 years or so for CCFC to build a new ground. Whilst others get behind a new club.

A well supported club starting 10 leagues down will have the money to climb the leagues quickly. In 5 years time it could conceivably be only 5 leagues down.

Sisu can't afford for this to happen. CCFC could face falling gates and a new rival. Time for Sisu to find another buyer who can do a deal with the council or the city of Cov faces a grim 2 club future.

If cov utd really was it fisher and co will be wetting themselves with laughter - 200 fans in a 32,000 stadium with no hope of paying the match day costs.

OyJimmy

More like 15000 fans turn up for the first game and gates then drop to about 5000. Which would be about 4000 more than Sisu get

mark82

If cov utd really was it fisher and co will be wetting themselves with laughter - 200 fans in a 32,000 stadium with no hope of paying the match day costs.

Depends how it's marketed. Some may go for it. Ridiculous either way.

chiefdave

Wouldn't assume that the stadium needs to be operating at anywhere near capacity for it to be viable to be used. You could open 1 stand, less staff etc and make it work if someone like Cov rugby wanted to move there (not that I think for a minute they would want to move). In my opinion they won't be too bothered about getting another club in to replace CCFC, the running costs when not in use must be minimal, they will already have security, utilities etc for the rest of the complex so no issue there. The groundsman is shared with Higgs so not really an issue there either. They can just keep it ready to go for occasional events and concentrate on the other aspects of the business.

Might also make the stadium more attractive to those interested in using it if it's not got someone playing there every other week. Free diary to pick from, access to the ground for any setup, training days or any other need and of course if it's a football event (U21s or something similar) a city starved of football.

tonyok

The death of CCFC, well done Sisu and their superfans. No doubt the 90% "minority" of fans are to blame, enjoy Coventry Cobblers FC and still CCFC for the muppets!

ccfcway

What about if they can get hold of those vital matchday revenues ?

You know, the ones SISU have at Sixfields, as opposed to renting the Ricoh where they would get 10k more than they currently do ?

ccfcway

400k for a 3g pitch, which could be used all year round and not damage the surface, meaning it could become a "community" asset.

I wonder if its being considered ?

J

Jack Griffin

I know its been said before,Watch out for developements in the Nuneaton F C problem.

Ian Neale was on radio earlier & pretty much poured cold water over that speculation.
However it remains a possibility if someone is prepared to gamble & move rapidly while SISU have stranded the club in Northants.

chiefdave

However it remains a possibility if someone is prepared to gamble & move rapidly while SISU have stranded the club in Northants.

You mean move them to the Ricoh? Wouldn't be keen on that unless their fans supported it. If they got promoted and needed somewhere short term as their ground wasn't up to standard that's one thing (and even then I'd only support that if their fans did) but moving them permanently is the same thing SISU have done to us isn't it?

tisza

If Man Utd fans attempt at setting up a new club has met with such limited success what makes people think a Cov Utd could work on any level?

J

Jack Griffin

Probably on the basis that Man U didn't move, whereas Cov City have.

I assumed that was an ironic comment as FC Utd have had season after season of promotions and are now on the verge of building their own stadium & moving out out Gigg Lane & will probably get into the Conference (North Division) in the next few years, their crowds average about 1600.

shmmeee

Costs depends very much on the size and timing etc. I think that's a bit of a red herring, after all other organisations have managed to rent the Ricoh for smaller events than L1 football.

But you're bang on about Cov Utd.

jesus-wept

I know its been said before,Watch out for developements in the Nuneaton F C problem.
Could it all be coincidence ? Nuneaton Town put all their players up for sale, Nuneaton owner Ian Neale ex CCFC V.I.P I believe announces he wants to sell club, council make statement about Ricoh and moving on all on the same day. Could an amalgamation happen ? would it be acceptable ? It could put a pheonix club only one league below Football League status and not nine. Just wondering.

shmmeee

If Man Utd fans attempt at setting up a new club has met with such limited success what makes people think a Cov Utd could work on any level?

There's a few differences in fanbase between Man Utd and city firstly. Most Man U "fans" only watch on TV and would probably support someone else if they were more successful.

The "core support" is obviously bigger than City's but not by the order of magnitude the casual support is.

So those who would feel strongly enough to leave the club are only going to be that core support.

Also, I think they've been pretty successful. 3 back to back promotions then play off finalists last three years. I bet it's been more fun than being a City fan the last 6-7 years. Their crowds aren't a million miles off our own this season either ;)

shmmeee

Could it all be coincidence ? Nuneaton Town put all their players up for sale, Nuneaton owner Ian Neale ex CCFC V.I.P I believe announces he wants to sell club, council make statement about Ricoh and moving on all on the same day. Could an amalgamation happen ? would it be acceptable ? It could put a pheonix club only one league below Football League status and not nine. Just wondering.

No. Just no. I will support a Coventry team, not a Nuneaton team.

While its a nice fantasy from a City fans perspective, it would be abhorrent to actually do.

Otis

Don't believe it would happen for a single second, but surely the biggest nightmare scenario would be for the City to stay in Northants for god knows how many seasons and someone to invest heavily in Nuneaton and move the Boro to the Ricoh.

CCFC 34 miles away and someone elses club playing in Cov. :eek:

Good job it's just pure fantasy.

shmmeee

Don't believe it would happen for a single second, but surely the biggest nightmare scenario would be for the City to stay in Northants for god knows how many seasons and someone to invest heavily in Nuneaton and move the Boro to the Ricoh.

CCFC 34 miles away and someone elses club playing in Cov. :eek:

Good job it's just pure fantasy.

By the looks of it we could be playing in Nuneaton and called Coventry City and they could be playing in the same league in Coventry and called Nuneaton Town.

We could have to go to Cov to play away and play Nuneaton at home in Nuneaton!

stupot07

It wouldn't be a Phoenix club, it would be a nuneaton-cov franchise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

jesus-wept

It would be a bitter pill to swallow but a suitable name change to Coventry something, a winning team with money thrown at it would soon pull punters in, but realistically if that looked to be happening what would sisu do.

stupot07

It would be a bitter pill to swallow but a suitable name change to Coventry something, a winning team with money thrown at it would soon pull punters in, but realistically if that looked to be happening what would sisu do.

And what about the nuneaton fans that helped set up and support nuneaton town from the mid combination after the boro were liquidated. Do they just start their own Phoenix team from scratch again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

jesus-wept

Well th Pheonix rises from ashes and unless something changes and changes quickly only ash will be left.

skybluetom

This statement chances nowt and it's nothing we haven't heard before, lets sum it up: 'We want Coventry back at the Ricoh but won't rule out selling to or moving somebody else in if they come up with a sensible offer.' That is basically what was said which is identical to what we've heard before.

We're stuck where we were before: Sisu won't admit that in reality what ideally they want to do is move back to the Ricoh, then you've got the Council who won't admit that the ground without ccfc isn't viable long term. Lets be realistic, this idea of some type of reformed club starting there is just not gonna happen; it's neither pratical or sensible.

Both sides know this is exactly where the other side stands as well, hence the endless merry go round of statements and counter statements that in reality tell anybody fuck all.

dongonzalos

Soon if SISU are to be believed on top of their current problems they could be faced with CCFC popping into their border.

People should ask their fans what they would want before assuming it would in the majority be a no no.

shmmeee

This statement chances nowt and it's nothing we haven't heard before, lets sum it up: 'We want Coventry back at the Ricoh but won't rule out selling to or moving somebody else in if they come up with a sensible offer.' That is basically what was said which is identical to what we've heard before.

We're stuck where we were before: Sisu won't admit that in reality what ideally they want to do is move back to the Ricoh, then you've got the Council who won't admit that the ground without ccfc isn't viable long term. Lets be realistic, this idea of some type of reformed club starting there is just not gonna happen; it's neither pratical or sensible.

Both sides know this is exactly where the other side stands as well, hence the endless merry go round of statements and counter statements that in reality tell anybody fuck all.

With all due respect I think it's more than that. Previous statements have held out an olive branch, this one says "well, never say never, but basically it's not happening."

Users who are viewing this thread