Ccfc film night (1 Viewer)

cyril

I actually wish I'd made the effort. Sorry deano mate. You deserve more

Otis

But maybe that is telling you something about yourself, Don?

Everything I have ever put on has always had a couple of hundred at least.:whistle:

Though I am of course lying.

Remember once putting on a show at Bedworth Civic Hall. It was a Sci-fi musical I had written.

Booked the hall, poster campaigned everywhere, went on the radio plugging it and even gave Mercia FM 25 tickets to give away in a competition.

745 seater theatre, marketed to death ............. so, how many turned up?

6!

And that included 2 St John Ambulance bods ........ who had to be there.

:facepalm::facepalm:

WillieStanley

Though I am of course lying.

Remember once putting on a show at Bedworth Civic Hall. It was a Sci-fi musical I had written.

Booked the hall, poster campaigned everywhere, went on the radio plugging it and even gave Mercia FM 25 tickets to give away in a competition.

745 seater theatre, marketed to death ............. so, how many turned up?

6!

And that included 2 St John Ambulance bods ........ who had to be there.

:facepalm::facepalm:

SCI-FI MUSICAL??!! 6??!! If ever there was something that catered to all needs its a flippin' Sci-Fi Musical!!! Keep plugging away at that!! I know nothing about it, but already I'm imagining the merch I could buy!!

I used to put on bands at The Jailhouse, more often than not we had bands who would go on to be massive playing to the sound man and bar staff. Bands such as Kaiser Chiefs, Frank Turner, Enter Shikari and Razorlight. If it involves anything other than Jumping Jacks or The Coli - Coventry folk just don't want to know!!

Otis

We are not exactly arty round here are we.

The sci-fi thing was a story I wrote about scientists who invented a machine that would enable people to have 8 hours sleep in just 10 mins. A sort of blast of condensed sleep in an instance.

Based it on the fact that I find it fascinating that we spend a third of our lives asleep.

This discovery is supposed to be greatest invention in the history of mankind, with people being able to work for 8 hours and have 16 hours free social time every day. Happier people, closer families, more time to do everything you ever wanted to do.

Transcends though, that they realise that armies can fight 23 hours a day every day and wars can rage 23 hours every day and rapists can rape and thieves can steal and drug dealers can deal ..... and the scientists then have to accept that the invention can be used for 'bad' as much as it can for 'good' and they set out to therefore destroy it before it reaches the public's gaze.

I toured it round Cov, Leicester, Brum and err .. Bedworth.

Cov people just don't seem that interested in theatre.

You tell someone you are performing in theatre and they think you are gay. Tell people the same in Bedworth and they chase you down the street with pitchforks wanting to burn you at the stake!!

Last edited:

ashbyjan

I know some geezers who spent £45 million putting together a pantomime in Cov - rectruited 11 professionals, lots of rehearsals, lots of tantrums, lots of publicity (much of it unwelcome) many hissy fits as you would expect from artistes, even a very public fallout with their landlord. The theatre was booked, could hold 32,500 - only 9000 turned up!!! Still they tried.

WillieStanley

Haha!!! Yes I know. Although my wife divised a 45 minute monologue set 45 minutes before the death of Nancy Spungen from the view point of Nancy. We packed out Taylor Johns House with it 2 years ago, we were going to take it to Edinburgh but prenancy ensued so we're looking to do it next year!! I've got to say, that was awesome, we made it a whole experience and set it up like a gig, with a merch table, loud punk music in the foyer - we had a blast!! Everything else we've done was a wash out.

I suppose it doesn't help the City that the Belgrade insists on putting on "Oh What A Lovely War" consantly. Somebody should show them this: http://youtu.be/JDEZ2h41t0I

Otis

I like Stewart Lee's slants on life! ;)

Sounds like a great premise you have there. Should keep plugging away at it.

Can't remember the last time I went to the Belgrade. It's all a bit safe. The B2 seems to have much better stuff on, but haven't got round to going yet it has to be said.

If you want challenging theatre round here you need to go to the WAC.

Otis

Ohh, or Theatre Absolute.

Funny really, we have had internationally recognised theatre groups here in Cov, Theatre Absolute, Triangle, Talking Birds and I bet you a pound to a penny that about 75% of Cov folk have never ever heard of them.

Users who are viewing this thread