Champions league semis and final (1 Viewer)

Liquid Gold

Few things to note of that

- it's incredible that a team of Man City's wealth have to put a CB up front because they've got nobody
- City should have seen that game out without a bother, own worst enemies
- Fernaninho is so far past it it's unbelievable. If he doesn't come on they win
Imagine letting 7/8 minutes turn into 3 minutes added on and then not even letting that play out

SBT

89mins of dirge tonight, Madrid just don't know when they're beaten though & fair play to them. Losing Walker was a massive blow for City.

My point was more on the bigger picture rather than individual games though. People are finally starting to see how parachute payments etc. are destroying competition in the EFL, will having the same 2 or 3 English teams dominating European football every year not have the same effect too?

I think it’s ridiculous hyperbole to say that elite football has been “destroyed” by football’s wealth distribution problems (which have existed in some shape or form for decades now). I won’t pretend that the Champions League interests me all that much, but the quality is undeniable and the knockout stages have been consistently exciting for many years. Where’s the evidence that fans are losing interest?

Ironically it’s the country with the most progressive approach to wealth distribution in football which seems to have produced the most predictable of the major leagues.

lifeskyblue

Ah well , hope Liverpool beat them .they really are not that good how the fuck they've won this over 2 legs is baffling but that's football

Yes how they beat PSG, then Chelsea (in 2nd leg) and now Manchester I just don’t know. I think Liverpool will be more switched on as a team…and straight running of Mane and Salah will be effective. But Alexander Arnold will struggle defensively v Vinicus. And I bet Van Djck clatters benzema early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kieranp96

Klopp is far superior to pep, if I was a Man City fan I’d be furious they had it in the bag until they got sleepy and pep took off literally any player they have that’s classed as a “game winner”

Liquid Gold

I think it’s ridiculous hyperbole to say that elite football has been “destroyed” by football’s wealth distribution problems (which have existed in some shape or form for decades now). I won’t pretend that the Champions League interests me all that much, but the quality is undeniable and the knockout stages have been consistently exciting for many years. Where’s the evidence that fans are losing interest?

Ironically it’s the country with the most progressive approach to wealth distribution in football which seems to have produced the most predictable of the major leagues.
Which league are you talking about wealth distribution here mate? I got a sneaking suspicion you're talking about Germany where they have a progressive ownership approach but nothing to do with wealth distribution as 1 club's revenue completely outstrips the others.

Evo1883

Again , 11 years is a long time without a champions league when you consider the teams and money available to you.....pep

The CableGuy

Liverpool need to be ruthless against this lot. If they play against Madrid like they played the 1st half vs Villarreal then Real will bury them.

I can see Liverpool doing the Quad now. City will do well to recover from this and win the title.

Brighton Sky Blue

Few things to note of that

- it's incredible that a team of Man City's wealth have to put a CB up front because they've got nobody
- City should have seen that game out without a bother, own worst enemies
- Fernaninho is so far past it it's unbelievable. If he doesn't come on they win
Imagine letting 7/8 minutes turn into 3 minutes added on and then not even letting that play out

If Haaland signs as expected at least one of those problems is solved. Liverpool should take Madrid to the cleaners in any case

SBT

Which league are you talking about wealth distribution here mate? I got a sneaking suspicion you're talking about Germany where they have a progressive ownership approach but nothing to do with wealth distribution as 1 club's revenue completely outstrips the others.

Yeah it was Germany - so is their wealth distribution system overall more or less progressive than the EPL’s?

Brighton Sky Blue

Would rather have that than a battle of the tycoons. Affordable tickets, still good quality football, good atmospheres too.

Did chuckle at some people saying it’s a bad thing that an oil baron isn’t allowed to come in and ‘level the playing field’ in the Bundesliga

Liquid Gold

Yeah it was Germany - so is their wealth distribution system overall more or less progressive than the EPL’s?
From the breakdowns I can see the team that finishes bottom on the PL get 63% of the income the team that finishes top of the league get.

In the Bundesliga that figure is 41%.

Liquid Gold

Would rather have that than a battle of the tycoons. Affordable tickets, still good quality football, good atmospheres too.

Did chuckle at some people saying it’s a bad thing that an oil baron isn’t allowed to come in and ‘level the playing field’ in the Bundesliga
I'm not disagreeing. I love the 50+1 system.

The league isn't about equal distribution though, it's completely dominated by 1 team with the most resources instead of 4/5 teams with external funding.

Brighton Sky Blue

I'm not disagreeing. I love the 50+1 system.

The league isn't about equal distribution though, it's completely dominated by 1 team with the most resources instead of 4/5 teams with external funding.

That one behemoth has done it on merit and built a commercial monster. Dortmund pull in bigger crowds and could put up a proper challenge but always recruit up and coming talent while Bayern horde established stars.

You’re right on sharing the money around anyway though I do wonder if the Bundesliga were offered the obscene kind of TV deals that the EPL is how that might change. Burnley’s turnover would probably be pitiful by comparison without the £100 million boost. And in turn the reason why the bigger TV deals come here is arguably because we whored out the most to people willing to pay the most money for big name players.

A bit mind boggling

stupot07

Grealish been terrible.
He reminds me of Wilfred Zaha when he went to United. Brilliant as a big Fish in a little pond, but just not good enough to really make the cut at a top top club.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

"He can't be trusted, blah blah." I think skin colour plays a part as well, and this is before Musk opens the 'free-speech' door.

Well I think that is a bit of a silly take, especially the bit about Elon Musk.

I take the view that Pep doesn't actually trust him very much. I've noticed a pattern with big games and he generally doesn't start him.

Brighton Sky Blue

"He can't be trusted, blah blah." I think skin colour plays a part as well, and this is before Musk opens the 'free-speech' door.

It is possible to just not be a fan of a player independent of being a bigot. Grealish has been ripped pretty consistently since he signed, Maguire got sent death threats from his own fans etc.

Kieranp96

It is possible to just not be a fan of a player independent of being a bigot. Grealish has been ripped pretty consistently since he signed, Maguire got sent death threats from his own fans etc.
Just looking for a scape goat maguire hasn’t actually been that bad compared to the rest of united team 😂,

FulltimeWum

Quite telling when Man City had a corner during extra time and Grealish stood outside the box waiting to hit a worldie. His teammates needed him in the box pushing and barging or a least being a presence.

Tommo1993

My main concern would be Trent Alexander Arnold up against Vinicius. Walker is a much better defender, and faster.

FulltimeWum

My main concern would be Trent Alexander Arnold up against Vinicius. Walker is a much better defender, and faster.
Virgil Van Dyke has made 3 tackles during the whole of this year's competition. I'm sure he can spend a few moments tackling him.

David O'Day

He was excellent when he first came on and was a bit unlucky not to score twice. Disappeared after that though

He's a good player but just doesn't fit into that team. He slows the play down so much

SBAndy

He's a good player but just doesn't fit into that team. He slows the play down so much

Thought he was exactly the right player to come on at the time he did - City with a 2 goal advantage and looking to run down the clock. Also got into some decent positions but once they were under the cosh he started getting back to his old Villa ways.

mark82

He was excellent when he first came on and was a bit unlucky not to score twice. Disappeared after that though

He had 2 good runs. If he scores then maybe we'd talk differently. I was maybe a bit harsh saying he'd been terrible but he was giving the ball away a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread