Champions League to BT Sport 2015 (1 Viewer)

ohitsaidwalker king power

Did I hear correctly on the news this evening- BT sport has cornered the Champions League 2015-and paid £1Billion(?) ITV and BSB lose all rights?
On the bright side-does this mean my Sky Package will be reduced I wonder:thinking about:

AngryAnt

Essentially yes. BT Sport paid 897million (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24879138) for the rights. While their packages are free to broadband customers, they've stated they plan to charge for Champions League.

I doubt the Sky package will be reduced (the money saved will go on "other, better things"). Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing for sports on TV in the UK as remember ITV also lose the rights too.

CJ_covblaze

They're putting out a few freebies every year including the final (crown jewels?). Never the less it's just another example of football (F1, Moto GP, Rugby, Cricket too) being taken away from the common man.

SkyBlueHomer

Terrible deal for football supporters but yet another example of how football authorities are losing touch, from the lack of support by the FA in our predicament to the farce that is the Qatar World Cup.

Hopefully people will refuse to pay extra. I cannot see how it will carry on to be free to Virgin XL package holders when the deal starts.

chiefdave

This has the potential to be another ITV Digital doesn't it? Chap from Sky was saying BT bid more than twice Skys offers. Given that BT have a lot less subsribers (and that number will surely drop when the freebies stop) and some games, inc the final, are free how are they going to make their money back?

sweeno70

they started making their money back years ago by shafting loyal employees out of jobs,also they have a pension fund with a massive defecit that this money should really have been used to fill !!!

torchomatic

I have btsport thrown in as psrt of my virgin media package but not fussed about champions league anyway.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

duffer

This has the potential to be another ITV Digital doesn't it? Chap from Sky was saying BT bid more than twice Skys offers. Given that BT have a lot less subsribers (and that number will surely drop when the freebies stop) and some games, inc the final, are free how are they going to make their money back?

Good point.

From a personal point of view I wouldn't be unhappy to see thing go pop, football's gone mad over money. Doubt we'll (CCFC) see much of that of that £1bn - it doesn't exactly trickle down to the lower clubs does it, let alone grass-roots football where the whole thing starts. Most amateurs and kids still play on dog-sh*t pitches with crap facilities, at least in this country. Sorry, I'm off on one again... ;)

Covstu

clearly wanted to attack Sky sports monopoly on football and creating a foothold where the setanta's failed. The issue is that the Wednesday night games on ITV will all be gone unless you pay, fans lose out again but would assume subscribers would benefit.

Users who are viewing this thread