Match Thread Chesterfield - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 2nd Sep (1 Viewer)

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Robins:

Can tell that we've been in a 3 game winless run

Passed without too much quality

Rod Injury - been out for a while but is back on training field. Was expecting him to be out for 12 weeks due to initial diagnosis but since heard better news
Good news on Rod McDonald , but we need striker's when is sick note going to be fit !

Last edited:

letsallsingtogether

Before the game I was talking to a chesterfield couple.
They said take it easy on us you will not play a poorer side all season.
Well we did they should thank us for that.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Heard you on the texts Nick!

We haven't scored in however many hours and we're playing two holding mids. Madness.

Is Andreu not match fit or something?
Yeah and Clive Eakin said I wish people would phone in if they want to have a rant, instead they just send in random text . :jawdrop:

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Before the game I was talking to a chesterfield couple.
They said take it easy on us you will not play a poorer side all season.
Well we did they should thank us for that.
And after the game that same couple said , we will not play a poorer side all season . haha .

ccfcway

I know. You can't understand some people can you? There is absolutely nothing to be frustrated about.

no, not really.

My main frustration is we are league two as opposed to what I know which is being in the top flight. I'm used to losing 2 games in 5, hell, used to losing more than that.

It's very early stages in the season and already most new signings have been called a waste of time.

Its a very long season and we haven't kicked into gear yet. We either trust MR to get it right or replace him, and frankly, if that happens any time soon, I'm done.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
It is only 5 games but nobody was demanding no points dropped. Our last 3 results are 2 losses and a draw against 10 men. 0 scored and conceded 3. That has to be a cause for concern.

Over a season that would be 55 points, nowhere near top half let alone promotion. In fact teams have gone down on 50 and 51 points in the not too distant past.

We've got a huge problem scoring goals and if you look at the options we have to change things its hard to see where they're coming from unless Ponticelli comes in and bags 20.

Ah, this is where I was quoting MR Post match. Thought I didn't recognise any post I'd made calling someone an idiot.

theferret

Some people are getting hysterical. Just calm the fuck down.

The players who were being called wankers were just one last minute scrambled goal away from being cheered off. I've never been one to get precious about players being booed - they're big boys, but today was a bit much this early in the season imo.

ccfcway

Some people are getting hysterical. Just calm the fuck down.

The players who were being called wankers were just one last minute scrambled goal away from being cheered off. I've never been one to get precious about players being booed - they're big boys, but today was a bit much this early in the season imo.

couldn't agree more. Why on earth fans are booing players after 5 games (where we have won 2 and drawn 1) is completely beyond me.

God knows what the new signings think they have come into when fans are like that this early into the season

stupot07

I think its difficult to blame the partnership of McNulty and Beavon, to me they're untested because we provide them with absolutely nothing from our midfield. No balls into their feet, no lay offs.

I tend to agree, and its exactly what Benno and others have been saying. We just don't create enough chances and that goes down to the deep midfield and the lack of another wing threat.

We're in league two, league two strikers need 4-5 chances per goal, if they scored every 2-3 they wouldn't be playing in this league. So we need to create more.

Personally I would play Thomas and McNulty given the choice, but I actually thought the Beavon and McNulty partnership clicked when Beavon came on second half on Tuesday, but that was with thr midfield much higher up and Andreu playing some nice little one twos with them.

Unless we get a mcgoldrick or an Armstrong who can score goals from nothing, a proven 20 goal a season league two strikers will struggle to score when we don't create chance.

Beyond the strikers, I look at the midfield and I can't see many goals in there either. Certainly, Doyle and Kelly won't score any more than 2-4 between them tops. Jones will be marked far more tightly and Vincenti....well who knows.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

stevefloyd

Yet to see us this season due to operation can I ask those who went has the squad improved from last season or not?
Well a few games back everyone reckoned we would be world beaters but now the doom and gloom has surfaced and we are now shit, realistically the squad looked to be better, I still think Robins is getting to know the players, personally I think Biamou is a luxury gamble we can't afford and Mcnulty is a slightly better version of Beavon

Johnnythespider

I think it's a little early to press the panic button, my frustration today is more with Robins than the players. For 30 minutes we were playing against 10 men, but there doesn't seem to have been a change in shape or tactics today take the game by the scruff of the neck and get the win, that if we are serious about promotion we should get. I think the players are upto it but Robins needs to find the shape and tactics to suit them.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

eastwoodsdustman

It wasn't great and I think the biggest problem was that we weren't brave enought bringing the ball out of defence. Way too many times Willis and Grimmer especially went backwards and sideways when they had plenty of space ahead of them. Had they done gone forward with the ball then it'd have opened up some space for others.

W

westcountry_skyblue

Give Ponticelli a go,Proven scorer at 18.
A 17 year old just won the game for the taffys fgs!!

mark82

We were crap but the abuse at the players was OTT. I wasn't ready to applaud the performance but the abuse was definitely uncalled for. If we had someone capable of scoring think we'd have won comfortably. The tactics aren't working at the moment. Need one of Kelly or Doyle dropping to allow more creativity. Robins starting to walk a fine line, very close to losing support.

robbiekeane

my frustration today is more with Robins than the players. For 30 minutes we were playing against 10 men, but there doesn't seem to have been a change in shape or tactics today take the game by the scruff of the neck and get the win, that if we are serious about promotion we should get. I think the players are upto it but Robins needs to find the shape and tactics to suit them.
Agree mate

mark82

Give Ponticelli a go,Proven scorer at 18.
A 17 year old just won the game for the taffys fgs!!

I agree. Can't do much worse. McNulty tries hard but seems he's not a goal scorer. Maybe just needs to get going. Seems the type that needs a traditional strike partner and not someone playing behind him. Ponticelli's movement would cause all sorts of issues.

singers_pore

Christ I am going to agree with you.

People surely understand this squad we have is more than good enough to be in the playoffs at least this season.

Disagree with that. McNulty and Beavon are not good enough. Neither is Vicenti.

Irish Sky Blue

A lot of harsh comments on Beaven and McNulty. I just can't see how they are expected to be productive when the service they get is poor. Long balls lumped up to them that they have no hope of winning. I could understand it if we then picked up the second ball from the centre halfs clearance, but that doesn't happen very often. I think that there is a player in McNulty if we can give him decent service. Even in a terrible game like today's he had 4 or 5 decent chances; a good half volley in the first half, a cracking shot which the keeper tipped on to the bar,quite a difficult chance when through on goal at an angle, yes he slid it wide but was travelling at speed and under pressure from the defender. He should have put the header away. He got a lot of unwarranted stick today.
I don't understand why Robin's persists with long balls to small forwards. Has Russell Slade taken control of his brain? Robins showed in his first spell and at the end of last season that he likes his team's to play football. Where has that philosophy gone? Even in the fourth division it should be possible to outfootball other teams to win games. It doesn't have to be hoof ball.

speedie87

I think mcnulty is more than decent and will get his fair share of goals, at least he creates shooting opporunities and is in the right place in the box to get on end of things, beavon however....

Paxman II

I know it's all gloom and doom on here tonight and I myself didn't go to the game, but McNulty is missing quite a few chances.

Just him getting his shooting boots on could make a world of difference to our fortunes.

MR has faith he will come good. I still trust MR.

Yes the stats show he had plenty of efforts on goal. Once one goes in it could, just could open the flood gates for him which is typical striker territory aka Harry Kane, aka Jamie Vardy who have gone without goals then suddenly it all clicks.
Stop worrying folks we will get promoted.

letsallsingtogether

couldn't agree more. Why on earth fans are booing players after 5 games (where we have won 2 and drawn 1) is completely beyond me.

God knows what the new signings think they have come into when fans are like that this early into the season
Just watched the Swindon game on telly they also booed their players off.
Not some thing I do myself but can understand why it go on.
Fans believed all the hype about how we have assembled a title chasing team, I myself was drawn in.
From what I have seen so far we are far from it.
As for what the new signings think, well I am sure they have been booed before at whatever club they played at.
You all talk like it is only Cov fans that do it.

Adge

Just watched the Swindon game on telly they also booed their players off.
Not some thing I do myself but can understand why it go on.
Fans believed all the hype about how we have assembled a title chasing team, I myself was drawn in.
From what I have seen so far we are far from it.
As for what the new signings think, well I am sure they have been booed before at whatever club they played at.
You all talk like it is only Cov fans that do it.
4000 others were also drawn in.

luwalla

It's depressing because we are thinking 'here we go again' but we have pretty much a whole new squad ... look at a team like Wigan when they came down to league 1 , by this time in the season they had lost 3 drawn 1 & won 2 I think. They got promoted as champions , let's not panic yet!

fernandopartridge

It's depressing because we are thinking 'here we go again' but we have pretty much a whole new squad ... look at a team like Wigan when they came down to league 1 , by this time in the season they had lost 3 drawn 1 & won 2 I think. They got promoted as champions , let's not panic yet!
We have only conceded 3 goals which is excellent

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

covcity4life

Noce to see robins echo my comments.

But at.some point he is gonna gonna get some.pelters if we dont sort our play out.

JuFoster

Woke up just now with a headache - good beer in chesterfield!

Aside from Vincenti and Beavon it felt like the team tried pretty hard today so I felt the reaction from fans at the end was too much.

Nazon and Andreu should start ahead of Beavon and Vincenti - so much more dangerous. Beavon had a shocker.

Kelly and Doyle have to learn How to set up differently when we have to attack - too many times today we had 5/6 players not going forward when all we needed was a goal.

johnwillomagic

I think we cannot play or need to play two holding central midfielders in current formation who do not go forward.....simple as that.

Think we should go 4-4-2 in a diamond with Andreau playing at the tip of the diamond. I would like McNulty to play wide just to take him out the firing line a little,
Feel he has worked hard enough to stay in team but Jones and him could add pace on the wings.

Up top no-one has done much yet think I'd start Nazon and Beavon up top initially, there has to be an argument to get Biamou, K.Thomas or Ponticelli more game time.
I think Biamou is a unit so could hold ball up well and has pace something we seem to lack up top.

If Robins insists on two holding midfielders we need to go 3 at the back to accomodate this as forwards far too isolated currently.

Esoterica

I think we cannot play or need to play two holding central midfielders in current formation who do not go forward.....simple as that.

Think we should go 4-4-2 in a diamond with Andreau playing at the tip of the diamond. I would like McNulty to play wide just to take him out the firing line a little,
Feel he has worked hard enough to stay in team but Jones and him could add pace on the wings.

Up top no-one has done much yet think I'd start Nazon and Beavon up top initially, there has to be an argument to get Biamou, K.Thomas or Ponticelli more game time.
I think Biamou is a unit so could hold ball up well and has pace something we seem to lack up top.

If Robins insists on two holding midfielders we need to go 3 at the back to accomodate this as forwards far too isolated currently.
I don't think that would take McNulty out the firing line - he needs a goal from open play for it to click for him, moving him out wide will just make that more unlikely to happen.
Agree on the formation change though. Dropping one of the two holding central midfielders is so painfully obvious that I'm disturbed Robins can't/won't see it. It seems perfect to have Kelly to call on after an hour when Doyle starts getting tired. Doyle is also a large part of the problem for me, he's the biggest culprit for launching the ball long into our forwards having dropped to within 5 yards of our back line. Have to hope that if Andreu gets a chance alongside him Doyle will start playing through him instead because at the moment he makes us very very one dimensional.

steve82

Hopefully MR will tweak the formation and system after yesterday. Too much goes through Micky Doyle and if it don't Willis lumps it long to the opposition centre half.
JJ looks better playing down the left and I'd like to see him play 75% of the game there. Marc McNulty won't have another bad afternoon like that again, 1 of them clear cut chances has to go in, law of averages says he's not that shit to get into them spaces and not convert.

steve82

81723600540bc24e2d3724550f7dfc53.png

Interesting that they have Chesterfield having 61% of possession..... do goal kicks count?

Users who are viewing this thread