Chief Scout Role (1 Viewer)

chem90

Does this role still exist? If so, IMO it should be ATs. I would say he has built a capable team just unfortunately was unable to manage it. This is not based on feeling sorry for him following his dismissal, I genuinely believe he has the attributes.

Jimmy Hill's Chin

I think there's too much bad blood between Thorn, SISU, Fisher and the players for him to be appointed Chief Scout. Also I can't imagine the new manager would be too chuffed to have Thorn still around on the scene. We need a clean break. Bobby Gould might be a better bet for scout, he did afterall pluck a certain Stuart Pearce from Wealdstone Town and Trevor Peake from Nuneaton Borough to name but two.

Grendel

Why does he have a reputation for a great scout?

And if he was so great why have we had poor squads since he has been here and why was he ever our scout anyway?

chem90

Why does he have a reputation for a great scout?

IMO this summer transfer window has shown what he can attract for next to nothing in cost. Obviously you'll agree/disagree depending on your opinion of the standard of squad we posess. He is clearly not Graham Carr of Newcastle but unfortunately we are now one of the "lower league teams" that scouts come to scour through to buy talent on the cheap. So if you base his ability as a scout on that then he would be looking at Conference and grass roots level for cheap talent.

Colonel Mustard

I'm just thinking that he was scouting for 3-4 years while we were a Championship club, but not too many of the signings in that period have gone on to have Premier League careers. I remember our old European scout, Ray Clarke, had a positive genius for singling out cheap players on the continent who would have an immediate impact at the highest level.

sky_blue_up_north

We are all scouts....

Users who are viewing this thread