Children in Need (1 Viewer)

letsallsingtogether

If you have watched Children in need tonight, you would have seen Gary Barlow go to Zoe's Place.

If you were failed to be moved then you are not human.

So for one day only lets put our differences to one side.

If you are not going to the match on Sunday then please support the showing at the Ricoh and show them what we Coventry Fans are really like,

Lets fill the venue as all proceeds go to Zoe's place and the Children cancer fund.

I am going to Bradford but will Donate to the fund.

PUSB One family one Club.

Covstu

watching the England game but I think the same bit was on last night about zoe's place. I thought it was a local charity but it seems to be a lot wider than that, great cause. I might go to the Ricoh on sunday, it would be great to be back into a game with a decent atmosphere!!

TurkeyTrot

We had someone from Zoe's place at our launch today. They have a number of hospices around the country. Zoe isn't a person, it means something in some language or other. (I read it on the net a few weeks ago but have forgotten) I also read it costs something in the region of around 36k a week to keep a place open. The lady was saying this morning that sometimes they have to turn children away due to the finances (they open 3 days a week at the moment I think) last year the money donated by children in need allowed them to open 3 days instead of 2.
After a recent trust event I took the remainder of the toys to the one in Coventry. The nurse asked me if I wanted a look 'round, I declined because I'm a coward. I have so much respect for those who choose to care as a vocation, whether that's caring for the elderly, young, sick or homeless, I'm not mentally strong enough. I figure giving a few quid or donating a few toys etc eases the conscience but at the same time someone benefits ultimately.

Steve.B50

I know what you mean, I would struggle seeing these kids in pain and would have made an excuses not to go inside , however we have to remember that for some parents its part of there lives.
Let's support this charity and as already said let's support the game on Sunday as every little matters.
I am going to Bradford but hope those who go along and support the team and the charity at the Ricoh enjoy the day.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Call me a miserable old git, but I have never watched Children in Need or any other similar show. They're on far too long, and only so called "celebrities" (who have millions in their bank accounts), who want to show how "great" they are by doing all this worthwhile fundraising, appear all bloody night long. Sorry, I'd rather watch the England game - even though I'm a Paddy - than watch this! I donate to many charities of MY choice. I don't need this shoved down my throat every year!

letsallsingtogether

Who is shoving children in need down your throat I made a suggestion that if you wanted to go and watch the football then the Ricoh would be a good place to go and that the charities would benefit. I'm a miserable Old Git but at least i'm lucky my children are fit and healthy.

Call me a miserable old git, but I have never watched Children in Need or any other similar show. They're on far too long, and only so called "celebrities" (who have millions in their bank accounts), who want to show how "great" they are by doing all this worthwhile fundraising, appear all bloody night long. Sorry, I'd rather watch the England game - even though I'm a Paddy - than watch this! I donate to many charities of MY choice. I don't need this shoved down my throat every year!

mark82

I was moved. I moved from my armchair to reach for the TV remote so I could switch over!

Whilst I agree with what you say about some celebrities doing it to self promote and respect your right not to watch there is a fine line you need to tread to avoid being disrespectful to people who have been personally affected by such things, some of whom may be on here.

There is a time and place, even on an Internet forum, to keep opinions to yourself.

Delboycov

I was moved. I moved from my armchair to reach for the TV remote so I could switch over!

Why don't you try watching the piece about Zoe's Place in Coventry and the amazing work they do and the effect that work has on the kids and their families in this city before coming out with flippant comments like that HH? You might just have been moved as the OP suggested...I certainly was.

Btw I hardly ever watch CIN for much the same reasons as you but that particular piece about a place which is on our doorstep (I know not yours) really did humble me...

Last edited:

cyril

I will be fighting on a semi professional boxing show at Rialto reborn in coundon next sat 23rd
I am donating my purse to this charity.
There will be a charity auction too with a proceeds going to the charity in honor of the young city fan that recently died.
There will be a handful of city players there too so hopefully we can raise a few quid and watch a great night of boxing

Cheers

Delboycov

I will be fighting on a semi professional boxing show at Rialto reborn in coundon next sat 23rd
I am donating my purse to this charity.
There will be a charity auction too with a proceeds going to the charity in honor of the young city fan that recently died.
There will be a handful of city players there too so hopefully we can raise a few quid and watch a great night of boxing

Cheers

Nice one Cyril! My daughter was good friends with young Ross...such a sad loss and Zoes place do such amazing work so fair play to you for that. I'll certainly try and get along to that and will spread the word with mates.

Astute

Fair play to you Cyril. Lots of respect from me. Wish I could make it but already tried getting the night off work. It is the same day as my youngest lads 4th birthday party. Got to deal with over 20 3 and 4 year olds then go to work for a 12 hour night shift. Can't get anyone to cover me.

For those that would never set foot in a children's ward or hospice. It can be upsetting but also very rewarding. I used to do santa in them every year. Even did it on behalf of the Walsgrave club once. Everyone was saving up coupons from Embassy fags that you used to get. They redeemed them for lots of toys. I did learn a big lesson from the first time I did it though. Some people that don't know me well think I am emotionless. I am the type smiling at funerals. I prefer to celebrate a life and not get upset. But one of the first kids I visited was a lad about six years old. He looked a bit poorly but the smile on his face was something else. He told me what he wanted but his parents had told him santa couldn't get him everything. But he told me what he wanted the most was a shiny red car that moved. I stupidly asked a nurse as I walked away from his bed if he was very ill. She replied it was a minor miracle he was still with us. It was an instant shock to me. I instantly cried my eyes out for the first time since I was a kid. I had to walk away and compose myself. The same nurse came over to me and told me to pull myself together as there was lots of kids waiting to see santa still. I had a latex mask on so the kids couldn't see how upset I was.

When the shops reopened after xmas I went out and got him a remote control red Ferrari. I knew he was going home for xmas but was going to leave it there for him. That was when I found out he passed away christmas day night time in his sleep. But his parents wanted a message of thanks for making him smile and be so happy right at the end. So sad but at the same time makes it all seem so worthwhile. I cried my eyes out again. I am welling up now just thinking about him. The worse thing is there are lots of children in the same situation. And it is left to charities to help as our government prefer to send countless hundreds of millions to other countries that we have to borrow so they can send rockets to mars and forget about our own. Please give what you can. Every little amount can make a massive difference.

Sorry about going on a bit but it upset me a lot when I read this thread at work earlier. It puts the problems with our club into perspective.

cyril

Very touching. Bit embarrassed by what was said on the previous page when you read what you put. Sometimes clever remarks should be for less emotive threads

wingy

Slightly out of character HH!!

Its an Age/Generational thing i think. While he 's wrong on this occassion about the content ,I empathise with his views on some of those involved . I believe I heard last year Wogan takes a Fee ,and If I hear Chris Evans Self promoting about his zillion pound car collection being utilised .
With Charitable work comes Humility ,The Ginger one comes over like the next Jimmy Saville.

jesus-wept

It's not about the celebs on there, it is about those youngsters, especially the ones with little time left. I challenge anyone to watch the piece on those two little brothers with that awful skin disease and then come back on here and knock the program. Most of these charities, centres and child hospices exist from voluntary contributions, collection tins and a program called Children In Need whilst multi-millionaire MPs like that twat at Stratford for example claim 6 grand from the public purse to pay for the electricity that keeps his fucking horses warm in stables and then votes for cuts to similar budgets.

Last edited:

oscillatewildly

Good post Letsall. I'm going to Ricoh tomorrow to not only support the charity but join a crowd (in Coventry) to watch our team play. I understand there are other fundraising things going on at the event so let's not just be content with our £1 entrance charge, any further contributions will be much appreciated, I'm sure.
What a pity HH had to make his ill judged comment. I don't watch the programme either but nobody can be in doubt as to it's cause, surely? Hopefully that head of his is only temporarily lodged up his own hoop and upon removal he will once more see the light.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Whilst I agree with what you say about some celebrities doing it to self promote and respect your right not to watch there is a fine line you need to tread to avoid being disrespectful to people who have been personally affected by such things, some of whom may be on here.

There is a time and place, even on an Internet forum, to keep opinions to yourself.

I HAVE been personally affected by stuff like this Mark. I was brought up - no, dragged up by Coventry Social Services in the 1950's and 60's. I spent 15 years in care, stale and mouldy food, beatings and abuse. I have also written a book about these times, so yes, I feel I'm quite in the right to voice my opinions. It's people like Wogan & Evans who have an estimated fortune of £100million between them that make me sick. Gushing forward on TV saying how great they are raising all this money for CIN. It's the razzmatazz of it all I can't stand. THAT'S why I don't watch it. As I said earlier, I donate to charities of MYchoice. As far as I'm concerned, the NSPCC are a far more worthy cause, but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

letsallsingtogether

Thanks like I said can't make it will be at the game but will send a donation over with someone who is.
Keep the faith

Good post Letsall. I'm going to Ricoh tomorrow to not only support the charity but join a crowd (in Coventry) to watch our team play. I understand there are other fundraising things going on at the event so let's not just be content with our £1 entrance charge, any further contributions will be much appreciated, I'm sure.
What a pity HH had to make his ill judged comment. I don't watch the programme either but nobody can be in doubt as to it's cause, surely? Hopefully that head of his is only temporarily lodged up his own hoop and upon removal he will once more see the light.

Nick

Administrator
I think some celebs do invest a lot behind the scenes, somebody on comic relief went to visit a man in Africa and ended up buying him a house and changing his life with a job etc.

I can't remember who it was :(

letsallsingtogether

I have to agree with you about the Celebs they could all afford to give a million each.

But my point was to get all City fans together put our differences behind us for one day and local charities benefit from the same time.

I HAVE been personally affected by stuff like this Mark. I was brought up - no, dragged up by Coventry Social Services in the 1950's and 60's. I spent 15 years in care, stale and mouldy food, beatings and abuse. I have also written a book about these times, so yes, I feel I'm quite in the right to voice my opinions. It's people like Wogan & Evans who have an estimated fortune of £100million between them that make me sick. Gushing forward on TV saying how great they are raising all this money for CIN. It's the razzmatazz of it all I can't stand. THAT'S why I don't watch it. As I said earlier, I donate to charities of MYchoice. As far as I'm concerned, the NSPCC are a far more worthy cause, but that's just my opinion.

blueflint

your a miserable old git

ajsccfc

A lot of rich people donate a lot of money outside of these things, and it's proven that celebrity involvement drives up the donations. As mentioned, you're free to watch a different channel.

simple_simon

Am with you on this one, I just went down the gym and had an early night.

Last edited:

WillieStanley

I think the likes of CIN and Comic Relief have a tendancy to cheapen what they stand for. They deal with and broadcast very real and serious issues followed by a news team perfoming Roulin Rouge. I can't stand that. Encourage people in their work place to dress like the teletubies etc when the plight of those they serve is exacerbating.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Anyone see the article about Barlows visit, think it was in the mail? After he tweeted about his visit and that he'd left some memorabilia for the charity to raffle / auction off, some scumbag saw this as an opportunity to make easy money and tried to break in! Although he left empty handed, I hope he's caught and gets a deserved punishment!

I watched part of last nights show. Was particularly moved by the family that lost two young sons within 2 days of each other. Cannot bare to think about what that must have been like :( I

mark82

As I said, I disagree with all the celebrity self promotion as much as you, however, it doesn't make any of the causes behind it less worthy.

Is your book available on general order from somewhere like amazon? If so, have you got a link?

the rumpo kid

Fair play to you Cyril. Lots of respect from me. Wish I could make it but already tried getting the night off work. It is the same day as my youngest lads 4th birthday party. Got to deal with over 20 3 and 4 year olds then go to work for a 12 hour night shift. Can't get anyone to cover me.

For those that would never set foot in a children's ward or hospice. It can be upsetting but also very rewarding. I used to do santa in them every year. Even did it on behalf of the Walsgrave club once. Everyone was saving up coupons from Embassy fags that you used to get. They redeemed them for lots of toys. I did learn a big lesson from the first time I did it though. Some people that don't know me well think I am emotionless. I am the type smiling at funerals. I prefer to celebrate a life and not get upset. But one of the first kids I visited was a lad about six years old. He looked a bit poorly but the smile on his face was something else. He told me what he wanted but his parents had told him santa couldn't get him everything. But he told me what he wanted the most was a shiny red car that moved. I stupidly asked a nurse as I walked away from his bed if he was very ill. She replied it was a minor miracle he was still with us. It was an instant shock to me. I instantly cried my eyes out for the first time since I was a kid. I had to walk away and compose myself. The same nurse came over to me and told me to pull myself together as there was lots of kids waiting to see santa still. I had a latex mask on so the kids couldn't see how upset I was.

When the shops reopened after xmas I went out and got him a remote control red Ferrari. I knew he was going home for xmas but was going to leave it there for him. That was when I found out he passed away christmas day night time in his sleep. But his parents wanted a message of thanks for making him smile and be so happy right at the end. So sad but at the same time makes it all seem so worthwhile. I cried my eyes out again. I am welling up now just thinking about him. The worse thing is there are lots of children in the same situation. And it is left to charities to help as our government prefer to send countless hundreds of millions to other countries that we have to borrow so they can send rockets to mars and forget about our own. Please give what you can. Every little amount can make a massive difference.

Sorry about going on a bit but it upset me a lot when I read this thread at work earlier. It puts the problems with our club into perspective.

could anybody send this to terry wogan,? it might jolt him in to giving up some his £500,000 presenting

Users who are viewing this thread