Clean Sheet Statistic (1 Viewer)

dongonzalos

Where is this prolific Alan Shearer type forward coming from, that no other team has noticed him, and why would they come to a little team like us, when other teams bigger than ours would be after them? Real world we have what we have, we are where we are.

Robins thought McNulty was that man. He wasn’t.
Before we signed Adam Armstrong you would have said the same. Leon Clarke. DMC.
You forget that at this level we are a big team. If a striker from above is going to be loaned to this level the Ricoh is a decent place to come. Easily the best at this level.
If we want to sign a striker again they are going to want to play at CCFC if they are this level.
Money appeared from nowhere to sign a CB on the deadline day. That could happen again or we may need to sell a player such as Willis to buy a striker.
I know some are not happy with him but I would take a million fir Will and play Davies if it meant we could get a striker.
It’s lazy just say where is this Alan Shearer.

Nick

Administrator
You keep going on about some sort of superhuman striker who will be able to be in the place of both the striker and the left wing back attacking a corner. You don't seem to grasp that we are in League 2 and we are struggling to break teams down. Sitting there and saying "a top striker would have scored" is a bit obvious, but when it's a left back getting the chance, a striker or midfielder I'm not sure a top striker would be in all of their positions in the first place.

League 2 strikers will need a good couple of chances minimum per goal, they will never have a ratio of 100% so will need service. A good example of that is the Luton strikers at the weekend who missed a couple of sitters.

We aren't going to sign a target man who is going to win every header against defenders, outrun defences and be a top finisher.

We saw at the weekend what happens when we actually play players in with decent balls. People were annoyed against Colchester because we resorted to whipping crosses in with McNulty and Beavon when their defenders would have headed them out all day every day, while Biamou was sat on the bench who could have been a nuisance. So that was down to tactics.

Watch McNulty and Ponticelli and the runs they make, also watch Biamou when he plays how he drags defenders about and will create space for the other striker who is with him.

I am saying post pictures and screenshots from the video rather than just rely on 3rd or 4th hand information to form opinions. I did when you tried to make out that nobody was making runs, I showed you players making great runs into space but getting overlooked. You then made up that if they had scored goals then people would pass to them instead.

Instead, you seem to be sat there typing about some sort of dream striker that obviously every team would want. It still begs the question that when we have 2 defensive midfielders sat on the defenders toes who is going to feed them and play them in when teams park the bus.

It's simple, we need to create more decent chances for our strikers / attackers and sort out the decision making going forward. It's pointless trying to rely on one chance per game and expecting them to score, give them 3 or 4 and they will score one.

Nick

Administrator
Robins thought McNulty was that man. He wasn’t.
Before we signed Adam Armstrong you would have said the same. Leon Clarke. DMC.
You forget that at this level we are a big team. If a striker from above is going to be loaned to this level the Ricoh is a decent place to come. Easily the best at this level.
If we want to sign a striker again they are going to want to play at CCFC if they are this level.
Money appeared from nowhere to sign a CB on the deadline day. That could happen again or we may need to sell a player such as Willis to buy a striker.
I know some are not happy with him but I would take a million fir Will and play Davies if it meant we could get a striker.
It’s lazy just say where is this Alan Shearer.

So what happens if we get a Folivi or Andre Wright on loan? There is no endless conveyor belt of strikers to keep replacing them if they don't score every game because they have only had 1 chance.

Liquid Gold

So what happens if we get a Folivi or Andre Wright on loan? There is no endless conveyor belt of strikers to keep replacing them if they don't score every game because they have only had 1 chance.
Adam Armstrong wouldn't score many in this side because we haven't been making the right chances.

Nick

Administrator
Adam Armstrong wouldn't score many in this side because we haven't been making the right chances.

Which is the point I made the other week about creating chances and he wouldn't have had a sniff in some games as we wouldn't be putting him through on goal so he could use his pace and then finish.

letsallsingtogether

Which is the point I made the other week about creating chances and he wouldn't have had a sniff in some games as we wouldn't be putting him through on goal so he could use his pace and then finish.
Yes but he also made a lot for himself.
Wasn't all just got and run.

Esoterica

This is just the Colchester game as an example. I choose this game as It is arguably the game that most would say exemplifies the point that we lack creativity and create no chances. The game that shows that it is not the strikers but the formation and style of play.

However just some of the comments below show also that we were getting decent crosses into the box.
My belief is that we can still keep this defensive solidness that comes from our formation and nick 1-0 wins from games like this if you have the right striker. Who may not get many chances. He wont get the unrealistic 6-7 chances that some are asking for. He may only get 2 or 3 chances. He gets himself in the right spot when the cross comes in. He does not hesitate when the ball drops to him. He makes such good runs that he forces the through ball to be played to him. He consistently scores and this affects the phycology of Jones and the Duck that their first thought Is to look for him, their second thought is to shoot. He gets a reputation and starts to get man marked by two defenders leaving space for others to exploit.

That is how I feel the right striker would turn this defensive solidity and draw into three points more often than not.

This was the hardest game to choose others games would be much easier to find such quotes......

Sky Blue PeteWell-Known Member
Great play by duck no one there to tap in

ccfcwayWell-Known Member
great play by nazon, gets to the line, cuts it back to 6 yard box and no one there

shmmeee said:
See the problem is we don’t create chances so no pointicelli in playing any striker.
stupot07Well-Known Member
We had 3-4 decent balls in the box tbf. Shame the only 2 strikers who attack crosses are on the bench.
torchomatic and Nick like

( a decent goalscorer can attack crosses and score with their feet, not just one or the other)

According to CWR when Nazon crossed it across the box the nearest player we had to it was a holding midfielder. Tells you a lot about why we’re not scoring right there.

( a goalscorer would be there)

Adams very critical of McNulty today,
Saying he should be getting in the box.

sw88Chief Commentator!
Ball into the box, headed down, McNulty hesitates and by the time he connects the chance has gone

(In a game like that where clear cut chances are not plentiful you can’t afford to hesitate)

Kingokings204Well-Known Member
Haynes misses a glorious chance at the death

(Not a striker but would a decent striker, with their movement get a glorious chance like Haynes did)

As I say the worst game for me to find examples to make my point yet they are still there.

I believe that striker is out there and I think come January if we are in the mix near the play offs we will sign him.
Episode 423 of The Dongo Files - The Striker is out there!
That 'chance' that Duck created was him beating three players. It was great play until that point but then he leathers it across the 6 yard box without even looking up. It says much more about Duck than it does our strikers. The way the move panned out, from a throw on the far side, Duck doing a 180 and skinning 3 players, there was never going to be a player where he played the ball. On top of that Colchester had 8 players inside the box of which 3 were inside the 6 yard box.
Using people's comments based on radio commentary to back up your own analysis of a game you've not seen is ridiculous. It's 3rd hand!

chiefdave

Where is this prolific Alan Shearer type forward coming from, that no other team has noticed him, and why would they come to a little team like us, when other teams bigger than ours would be after them? Real world we have what we have, we are where we are.
Realistically every club is looking for that player and if they can consistently bang goals in they won't be sticking around L2 for long. We're stuck now until the window opens but even then your options are limited. Someone with a track record will either be someone on the way up we'll have to pay a hefty fee for or someone on the way down looking for a nice payday. That means we're looking at a loan or someone stepping up for the U23s.

mrtrench

So we are agreed that we need world class strikers and midfielders? As luck would have it, I'm playing poker this evening. Will send the funds over first thing tomorrow.

dongonzalos

Episode 423 of The Dongo Files - The Striker is out there!
That 'chance' that Duck created was him beating three players. It was great play until that point but then he leathers it across the 6 yard box without even looking up. It says much more about Duck than it does our strikers. The way the move panned out, from a throw on the far side, Duck doing a 180 and skinning 3 players, there was never going to be a player where he played the ball. On top of that Colchester had 8 players inside the box of which 3 were inside the 6 yard box.
Using people's comments based on radio commentary to back up your own analysis of a game you've not seen is ridiculous. It's 3rd hand!

Sorry I will have to remember that if I listen to a match because I can’t go that means I can’t have an opinion on it.
Using other people’s quotes about such chances is just an easy way of highlighting it.

dongonzalos

Realistically every club is looking for that player and if they can consistently bang goals in they won't be sticking around L2 for long. We're stuck now until the window opens but even then your options are limited. Someone with a track record will either be someone on the way up we'll have to pay a hefty fee for or someone on the way down looking for a nice payday. That means we're looking at a loan or someone stepping up for the U23s.

Let’s see what happens.
People didn’t expect us to get Andreu abd we did so I am sure there will be a surprise out there.

Nick

Administrator
Sorry I will have to remember that if I listen to a match because I can’t go that means I can’t have an opinion on it.
Using other people’s quotes about such chances is just an easy way of highlighting it.

Maybe don't try and mock others about "always being right" when they point things out, they use screenshots and videos to back up what they are saying rather than just guessing or making things up.

Again, would you try and tell people who have seen a film you haven't what happened based on people's tweets about it, even when they post a screenshot of things in the film to back up what they say?

dongonzalos

So we are agreed that we need world class strikers and midfielders? As luck would have it, I'm playing poker this evening. Will send the funds over first thing tomorrow.

Or just a striker who can consistently score at Division 4 level. My guess is that for Coventry City that’s not a big ask.

Nick

Administrator
Or just a striker who can consistently score at Division 4 level. My guess is that for Coventry City that’s not a big ask.

It really isn't hard to understand.

A League 2 striker will need a few chances per goal, therefore we need to create lots more chances for our strikers to be able to put them away. It's all well and good saying players should be in certain places and your imaginary striker would have scored them, but why didn't James Collins the messiah score on Saturday? Why wasn't he the player with the free volley? Why wasn't he on the end of free kicks? Why wasn't he where Hylton was when he should have scored?

Mucca Mad Boys

This is the most important statistic for us if we're going to be successful this season. As we saw last weekend, the best defence trumped the best attack. The results prior to Luton were obviously frustrating, but, I think for some strikers it only takes a goal before they really crack on, and I hope our attacking players hit a bit of form now. I do think a strong defence is a better foundation to build upon as there's plenty of time for our attackers to hit form.

What I would say is this, I think we need to mix up our tactics against teams lower in the table than us. They'll be many teams who'll play us and would take a 0-0 draw so we need to do something different to score early goals to pressure these teams into attacking to get a goal, then like Luton, a 1-0 turns into 2 or 3 goals to nil.

dongonzalos

You keep going on about some sort of superhuman striker who will be able to be in the place of both the striker and the left wing back attacking a corner. You don't seem to grasp that we are in League 2 and we are struggling to break teams down. Sitting there and saying "a top striker would have scored" is a bit obvious, but when it's a left back getting the chance, a striker or midfielder I'm not sure a top striker would be in all of their positions in the first place.

League 2 strikers will need a good couple of chances minimum per goal, they will never have a ratio of 100% so will need service. A good example of that is the Luton strikers at the weekend who missed a couple of sitters.

We aren't going to sign a target man who is going to win every header against defenders, outrun defences and be a top finisher.

We saw at the weekend what happens when we actually play players in with decent balls. People were annoyed against Colchester because we resorted to whipping crosses in with McNulty and Beavon when their defenders would have headed them out all day every day, while Biamou was sat on the bench who could have been a nuisance. So that was down to tactics.

Watch McNulty and Ponticelli and the runs they make, also watch Biamou when he plays how he drags defenders about and will create space for the other striker who is with him.

I am saying post pictures and screenshots from the video rather than just rely on 3rd or 4th hand information to form opinions. I did when you tried to make out that nobody was making runs, I showed you players making great runs into space but getting overlooked. You then made up that if they had scored goals then people would pass to them instead.

Instead, you seem to be sat there typing about some sort of dream striker that obviously every team would want. It still begs the question that when we have 2 defensive midfielders sat on the defenders toes who is going to feed them and play them in when teams park the bus.

It's simple, we need to create more decent chances for our strikers / attackers and sort out the decision making going forward. It's pointless trying to rely on one chance per game and expecting them to score, give them 3 or 4 and they will score one.

Yes I said we need to sign a super human striker. Who will be left wing back and a striker
Yes I said we need to sign a dream striker.
This is where debating with you becomes pointless.
I am talking about someone who will score goals at league 2 level. That’s all.
When we have that striker when you put 4 decent crosses in at least one of them will either result in a goal or force the keeper into a decent save. Or the striker will create that much carneige that someone else benefits.
A striker on form scoring goals when he makes that movement the other players will be looking form him.
I can only assume you do understand that that happens in Football but you are choosing to ignore that point as it doesn’t suit.
If you want the most extreme example Totenham players the majority of the time are looking for Harry Kane when they are looking to pass into the box.
Please don’t cone back with a lame comment about us signing Harry Kane.
It really is a pathetic way of debating.
Taking the other persons point of view, massively exaggerating what they say and quote them as saying your massively exaggerated version. Which isn’t what they said at all.
Lazy poor way of debating which is why I struggle to bother with you.
I am out of this one with you.
You can have your last sarcastic conmrbt in reply. Rest assured when I don’t bother replying it certainly isn’t because I think you have a point.

Nick

Administrator
Yes I said we need to sign a super human striker. Who will be left wing back and a striker
When we have that striker when you put 4 decent crosses in at least one of them will either result in a goal or force the keeper into a decent save. Or the striker will create that much carneige that someone else benefits.
A striker on form scoring goals when he makes that movement the other players will be looking form him.
I can only assume you do understand that that happens in Football but you are choosing to ignore that point as it doesn’t suit.
If you want the most extreme example Totenham players the majority of the time are looking for Harry Kane when they are looking to pass into the box.
Taking the other persons point of view, massively exaggerating what they say and quote them as saying your massively exaggerated version. Which isn’t what they said at all.
You can have your last sarcastic conmrbt in reply. Rest assured when I don’t bother replying it certainly isn’t because I think you have a point.

Yes but you aren't grasping the comment on why people say things during the game.

Against Colchester we resorted to whipping crosses and long balls up front but we had nobody up there like Biamou who would have made a difference, so it was pointless. It would have been the same if we had tried the same with Adam Armstrong up front, no matter how good he is at finishing or how quick he is it wouldn't have done anything.

The whole "players will only pass if they are in form" stuff is bollocks, you thought it up after you had said nobody makes runs and the strikers movement and I posted screenshots of McNulty making multiple runs into space and not being passed to.

You are typing lots of words again but still not actually saying anything, you go on about pathetic debating when yours is based on 3rd and 4th hand information against first hand with video stills.

It's all well and good you keep going on about "not playing my game" and "sarcastic" replies, maybe just discuss the FOOTBALL. I am not sure why you keep trying to patronise other people who watched the game about what is happening when you are basing it on other people's comments.

Londonccfcfan

Lol...Love it...reading this beats reading the metro on a boring commute home.

Liquid Gold

Does anybody remember the cheat code for a guaranteed 20 goal a season striker?

I believe there has to be exactly 11,000 home fans in the Ricoh then on the 20th minute we have to do star jump, star jump, half turn, clap, half turn clap then boo.

Hobo

He had a spell with us when he wasn't scoring many....doesn't make Adam Armstrong a bad player though. A slow start doesn't make McNulty a bad striker either.

Mucca Mad Boys

Yes but you aren't grasping the comment on why people say things during the game.

Against Colchester we resorted to whipping crosses and long balls up front but we had nobody up there like Biamou who would have made a difference, so it was pointless. It would have been the same if we had tried the same with Adam Armstrong up front, no matter how good he is at finishing or how quick he is it wouldn't have done anything.

The whole "players will only pass if they are in form" stuff is bollocks, you thought it up after you had said nobody makes runs and the strikers movement and I posted screenshots of McNulty making multiple runs into space and not being passed to.

You are typing lots of words again but still not actually saying anything, you go on about pathetic debating when yours is based on 3rd and 4th hand information against first hand with video stills.

It's all well and good you keep going on about "not playing my game" and "sarcastic" replies, maybe just discuss the FOOTBALL. I am not sure why you keep trying to patronise other people who watched the game about what is happening when you are basing it on other people's comments.

I personally think McNulty will do well this year. He’s got a good ratio at this level. Even the best strikers in any league will score 1 in 2 games. So without taking braces or hat tricks into account, half the games you’re left without goals.
Therefore, it becomes evident that not having a ‘top finisher’ wouldn’t necessarily solve our problems. To me, I think we’ve probably been a bit conservative at the minute, because we don’t tend to get 1st half goals. This becomes a problem against ‘lesser’ teams in the division who are happy with a draw and it gives them an opportunity to sneak a goal for a win.

I think Robins has a v solid plan for the better teams in this league, but we need to mix things up against teams who aren’t really going to attack us unless they have to.

Users who are viewing this thread