Cold calling (1 Viewer)

NorthernWisdom

Given no fucker has my landline number (only have it for the broadband!) at least I know if it rings, it must be a cold caller.

Usually ignore them, sometimes answer. Thing is, what can I do to make it amusing? Pretending to be deaf's the best one usually, had some bloke yelling down the phone at me for a good half hour...

But any other tips to while away the minutes and piss the devious spamming lying cocks off?

Nick

Administrator
Just go along with it for ages, then say "Oh, you mean windows on the house? I have some already thanks" :)

The IT ones are the best "This is microsoft you have been hacked". They are always good for a laugh.

Terry Gibson's perm

Just go along with it for ages, then say "Oh, you mean windows on the house? I have some already thanks" :)

The IT ones are the best "This is microsoft you have been hacked". They are always good for a laugh.

The it ones my wife tells them they have rung Nuneaton Police station and what do they want, I say just let me turn the computer on and then have a lovely chat while they try to get connected and then I pop it next to the tv for a bit or give it to my oldest boy who asks them who they are and then has a chat with them while they keep saying is daddy there. My old neighbour fell for it and connected they cleared half his system before he pulled the cable out.

Nick

Administrator
The it ones my wife tells them they have rung Nuneaton Police station and what do they want, I say just let me turn the computer on and then have a lovely chat while they try to get connected and then I pop it next to the tv for a bit or give it to my oldest boy who asks them who they are and then has a chat with them while they keep saying is daddy there. My old neighbour fell for it and connected they cleared half his system before he pulled the cable out.

Yep people do fall for it.

I had one get really angry once, he was swearing at me, shouting at me in indian because I kept him on the phone for 30 minutes and made him think he had tricked me. Was getting him to tell me about why my microsoft laptop had broken and said "Oh, I haven't got a microsoft laptop, it is a macbook" and he went ape shit.

Amber Windows piss me off, had work done by them about 4 years ago. They phone twice a week at least "do you want new guttering", "well you fitted it not long ago, aren't you very confident?". Always ask them to stop ringing, no such luck. If I was really bored and wanted to piss them off back Id keep getting them to send out reps and deny all knowledge when they turn up :)

Astute

Given no fucker has my landline number (only have it for the broadband!) at least I know if it rings, it must be a cold caller.

Usually ignore them, sometimes answer. Thing is, what can I do to make it amusing? Pretending to be deaf's the best one usually, had some bloke yelling down the phone at me for a good half hour...

But any other tips to while away the minutes and piss the devious spamming lying cocks off?

Why do you have a phone connected if you don't use it?

Terry Gibson's perm

Yep people do fall for it.

I had one get really angry once, he was swearing at me, shouting at me in indian because I kept him on the phone for 30 minutes and made him think he had tricked me. Was getting him to tell me about why my microsoft laptop had broken and said "Oh, I haven't got a microsoft laptop, it is a macbook" and he went ape shit.

Amber Windows piss me off, had work done by them about 4 years ago. They phone twice a week at least "do you want new guttering", "well you fitted it not long ago, aren't you very confident?". Always ask them to stop ringing, no such luck. If I was really bored and wanted to piss them off back Id keep getting them to send out reps and deny all knowledge when they turn up :)

I had one call once asking if I wanted a conservatory so I said yes please it will look great on my second floor apartment.

chiefdave

Why do you have a phone connected if you don't use it?

I've got a phone number as part of my Virgin package but I didn't even bother getting it cabled in let alone connecting a phone to it. Only number I have and if it isn't a number I recognise or is withheld I let it go to voicemail.

Otis

Never use my landline its unplugged
Yep. Exactly the same here. Not used it for over two years and just use our mobiles.

On my mobile I have downloaded a should I answer? App. That rejects calls and then sends me a text telling me the number I just had a call from has a negative rating. My phone doesn't even ring in such circumstances. :)

Sky_Blue_Daz

A taxi went into the back of our car in Liverpool a few years back luckily enough no body was injured
But we sorted it all out through our insurance companies
The accident happened on a Sunday morning buy the time we come back to Coventry on the Tuesday we had 4 calls from an independent company trying to convince us to claim for damages
Bearing in mind no one was hurt I wasn't claiming but makes you wonder how the company knew our details

Terry Gibson's perm

We bought a new house and had a new phone line put in on the first evening we had a cold call only us and bt had the number so I wonder who gave them the number.:thinking about:

Nick

Administrator
A taxi went into the back of our car in Liverpool a few years back luckily enough no body was injured
The accident happened on a Sunday morning buy the time we come back to Coventry on the Tuesday we had 4 calls from an independent company trying to convince us to claim for damages
Bearing in mind no one was hurt I wasn't claiming but makes you wonder how the company knew our details

I think insurance companies or police sell the data.

Ironically I had 2 of those "You have a virus" calls just after I bought something, can't remember what it was now.

Astute

Maybe just a coincidence.

I have had a few of them over the years. I got one a couple of days after getting home from holiday where I fell out of my motorhome wrecking my ankle. Made me think for a few seconds.

The last time I got one I said I had an accident. When asked about it I said I got my cock chopped off. She couldn't stop laughing and ended up putting the phone down :D

Ashdown

I think insurance companies or police sell the data.

Ironically I had 2 of those "You have a virus" calls just after I bought something, can't remember what it was now.

I think the 'compare' sites have been culpable of giving our number out, I'd like to shoot that frigging meercat !

musicmanskyblue

My first question is.. May I ask how You obtained My number?..
Caller... It was provided by a reputable database..
Me... Which database specifically?
Caller.. we're not allowed to disclose the name
Me... So you're calling asking for My private details but are unwilling to disclose yours?... End of call..

On occasion if I have an Acoustic guitar in the room I have been known to ask them to hold and play Greensleeves down the phone until they go away...

SkyBlue_Bear83

Possibly just a fluke, I've never been in an accident and still get those calls asking me to claim.

olderskyblue

Check out Tom mabe murder scene on YouTube.....

olderskyblue

Oops. Really should read other posts first....

oakey

Try flirting with them. Ask how they are, you sound nice, have you got a girlfriend, boyfriend etc. Are you free tomorrow night...
I have never done this myself because I don't have the patience but give it a try and report back

hill83

Don't use my home phone at all, haven't even got a telephone for it so don't get any on that.

dancers lance

We are all falling for one of the biggest scams of all time and that is the home phone line itself! paying £17.99 for something you no longer need but is forced upon you buy these companies is verging on criminal. I have the argument with Virgin all the time, they spew out the same crap, that it is part of their terms of service and it is needed for other things not just the phone. I don't have a home phone connected and virgin has a dedicated, separate broadband line so what do I need it for? they still can't give me an answer. My Virgin bill has just hit £130.00 a month for my package.

Terry Gibson's perm

We are all falling for one of the biggest scams of all time and that is the home phone line itself! paying £17.99 for something you no longer need but is forced upon you buy these companies is verging on criminal. I have the argument with Virgin all the time, they spew out the same crap, that it is part of their terms of service and it is needed for other things not just the phone. I don't have a home phone connected and virgin has a dedicated, separate broadband line so what do I need it for? they still can't give me an answer. My Virgin bill has just hit £130.00 a month for my package.

Correct it it is a scandal we have zero out calls on the phone each month yet have to pay £17.99, I have sky and bt dare not look how much the sky is and the bt is over £40 per month for phone,Internet and the sport luckily my work pay for the Internet part which also gets me free bt sport.

chiefdave

That annoys me with Virgin. Its annoying with other providers but you do need the phone line to get broadband. That's not the case with Virgin. I haven't even got anywhere to plug a phone in and they still charge me.

hill83

There's rumours that having to pay for a phone line for broadband will be dropped soon, but of course the price of broadband will go up so you won't see any difference.

jimmyhillsfanclub

surely you are paying for line rental.....the infrastructure itself....whether you choose to use all the connections included for a home phone or just broadband doesn't affect the fact you still need a line connected to the network.....

I know £17 per month is a rip, but I don't get why people expect to receive their broadband connection for nowt?

NorthernWisdom

surely you are paying for line rental.....the infrastructure itself....whether you choose to use all the connections included for a home phone or just broadband doesn't affect the fact you still need a line connected to the network.....

I know £17 per month is a rip, but I don't get why people expect to receive their broadband connection for nowt?

No and as said, they'll just bump the broadband price up by that amount!

Still, I'd have to start answering my mobile cold calls if I did away with a phone line, and that'd be no good.

CJ_covblaze

If I'm at one of my holiday club venues I pass my iPhone round all the kids to talk to the arseholes for a while (with their parents permission of course, it was actually one of the parent's idea). My record is 32 different children before they hang up!

Last edited:

chiefdave

Virgin doesn't make any use of the phone line for broadband but you still have to pay line rental. I don't even have the phone line cabling physically coming into the house and I still have to pay line rental.

Users who are viewing this thread