Concerned now (4 Viewers)

Seaside-Skyblue

The model I'm assuming we now have or appear to be working towards doesn't involve holding onto players until they walk out on a free (excluding O'Hare). It's about becoming a conveyor but selling players at their premium and then reinvesting that so we can keep bringing in similar if not better. That probably involves selling them with two / year and half years on their contracts. I know that doesn't always bode well for building teams and striking the right balance will be difficult.

I love Sheaf and will be gutted if he goes, not only a brilliant footballer but appears to come across as a gentleman too but he also deserves an opportunity. If we're going in the direction I think we are then we should start getting comfortable with losing players and look forward to the funding could that bring and the exciting (hopefully) prospects that replace them.

Sent from my SM-A346B using Tapatalk

AFCCOVENTRY

If someone wants to pay top dollar for player that has plenty of years on his contract then fair play. Sheaf might want to leave but he doesn’t hold the cards for a move. I suspect we will respect his decision to move and he will have to respect the transfer value.

Torp is here and we’ve seen glimpses of his quality. His cameo against Utd showed what he’s all about.

Money comes in and we reinvest in more assets. We’ve got to keep building.

SwanLane

Love Sheaf but if he goes, so be it. I won’t be bitter about it as long as the fee is respectable {£10m+}. He’s done a great job for us and seems a decent lad who just wants to get to the highest level he can.

Better to sell him now than in 12 months when he’ll be in his late 20s with 1 year left (probably a lower value). I do realise that he could be instrumental in a promotion campaign but that’s the land of ifs and buts. If there’s a decent offer on the table this summer, club and player will want the deal done.

Without regurgitating any more of what some others have said,……. despite a very disappointing end to the season, we’re in a stronger position with the squad than we were at the end of last season IMO.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

If someone wants to pay top dollar for player that has plenty of years on his contract then fair play. Sheaf might want to leave but he doesn’t hold the cards for a move. I suspect we will respect his decision to move and he will have to respect the transfer value.

Torp is here and we’ve seen glimpses of his quality. His cameo against Utd showed what he’s all about.

That's right. The cards are with us. Unless someone is willing to pay what would be well over the odds, he stays. Sheaf has come back from injury, and as our captain, our form has fallen off a cliff under his watch (again). He now wants to demand a move. That seems to be accepted and well-wished, which is just strange given the frothing over COH who has worked until the end of his contract. I still back us to be stronger next year, we need better leadership anyway, and think we could do better than both COH and Sheaf with a little bit of investment. We're playing in a different category of transfers now, so don't think we should wet the bed any time soon. Think the summer will prove good.

BlueSkiesForever

Not sure the goals argument is valid.

Gyokeres and Hamer scored 33 between them last year.

Wright and Simms have 38 and Sakamoto was was on course to score more than Hamer before his injury.

The issue is depth as others have said but we're in a much better position than previous years. Realistically 5 quality additions and the squad looks more than capable to be pushing top 6. Normally we're talking about needing 9/10/11 players.
Yeah fair enough, with the goals thing I was more thinking about how a quality midfielder like Hamer was so involved in goals and assists last season whereas this season we’re relying on strikers/wingers quite a lot more.

I’m not saying our midfielders should be popping goals in for fun but you’d like to think that they’d get more than only a handful of goals between them across the season. And this isn’t a Hamer-love comment it’s just saying that we need more quality in midfield, particularly on the ball.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
“£1.2 million is around £1 million?” Really?

For someone who’s usually very sceptical on wage numbers when they’re reported, you’re suddenly very trusting in Somerset’s answer to Andy Turner.
Ah, so he was on £23k/week at BC and £25k/week at Chelsea. That's definitely not considerably less!

SBT

Ah, so he was on £23k/week at BC and £25k/week at Chelsea. That's definitely not considerably less!
Court documents from his Chelsea days aside, the numbers are all over the place - we never usually give them credence. The only reason to take them as gospel is so we can stick the boot in on Palmer.

I don’t even rate him anyway, not sure why I’m going to the mat on this one.

Mucca Mad Boys

That's right. The cards are with us. Unless someone is willing to pay what would be well over the odds, he stays. Sheaf has come back from injury, and as our captain, our form has fallen off a cliff under his watch (again). He now wants to demand a move. That seems to be accepted and well-wished, which is just strange given the frothing over COH who has worked until the end of his contract. I still back us to be stronger next year, we need better leadership anyway, and think we could do better than both COH and Sheaf with a little bit of investment. We're playing in a different category of transfers now, so don't think we should wet the bed any time soon. Think the summer will prove good.

COH didn’t choose to stay to the end of his contract, he was off in Jan 2023 had he not done an ACL.

I don’t mind either player wanting to better themselves. Both our 26 and entering their prime so they should be wanting to progress their careers. I genuinely believe both would stay if we got promoted so there’s no ill will to them.

If we secure a big fee for Sheaf I’d like to see us make a marquee signing at CM.

I share the optimism going into the summer, it’s going to be exciting and there’s got to be trust in MR and his team to get the right players in.

Mucca Mad Boys

Yeah fair enough, with the goals thing I was more thinking about how a quality midfielder like Hamer was so involved in goals and assists last season whereas this season we’re relying on strikers/wingers quite a lot more.

I’m not saying our midfielders should be popping goals in for fun but you’d like to think that they’d get more than only a handful of goals between them across the season. And this isn’t a Hamer-love comment it’s just saying that we need more quality in midfield, particularly on the ball.

Robins has mentioned quality after every we’ve played the top teams in the division. That’s a comment aimed at all areas of the pitch.

If we having all action midfielder like Hamer or Sara in this division is gold dust in this league.

Grendel

“£1.2 million is around £1 million?” Really?

For someone who’s usually very sceptical on wage numbers when they’re reported, you’re suddenly very trusting in Somerset’s answer to Andy Turner.

It seems at least 4 other posters acknowledge this as fact as well. The funny thing is an award winning journalist (snigger) needed someone to help him with Google search to find the information. He was paid that at Chelsea (fact)

Bristol had to pay £3.5 for Chelsea to let him go. I’m sure Palmer would then settle for a wage reduction to move from Chelsea to Bristol - well he wouldn’t and didn’t. He rejected Cardiff as they wouldn’t match the wages

Bad day at the Basildon?

SBT

It seems at least 4 other posters acknowledge this as fact as well. The funny thing is an award winning journalist (snigger) needed someone to help him with Google search to find the information. He was paid that at Chelsea (fact)

Bristol had to pay £3.5 for Chelsea to let him go. I’m sure Palmer would then settle for a wage reduction to move from Chelsea to Bristol - well he wouldn’t and didn’t. He rejected Cardiff as they wouldn’t match the wages

Bad day at the Basildon?
Just trying to establish how we’ve become so certain about what we’re paying him - you said it was court documents, turns out it was nothing of the sort. But well done for establishing what his wages were five years ago!

Grendel

Just trying to establish how we’ve become so certain about what we’re paying him - you said it was court documents, turns out it was nothing of the sort. But well done for establishing what his wages were five years ago!

Bad day?

mmttww

The only reason to take them as gospel is so we can stick the boot in on Palmer.

Palmer's haters trying to find fault in this logic...

Arnold Schwarzenegger Reaction GIF

skybluecam

Of course we’re relying on wingers more, we didn’t play any last year! 🤣

harvey098

No, but they may well get paid more than entities in the Championship. At which point it’s not about the playing, it’s about the money. Which may be fair enough. Personally, I wouldn’t have wanted to be regularly shown as incompetent or even merely average at my job (when I worked),

I’m sure you wouldn’t have cared what people thought if you were on £30k / week.

Also he may not be “shown as incompetent”.. I wouldn’t be writing him off at any level. Still young and it would almost be a lack of ambition to not want to progress in your career.

DrPoolittle

Sheaf will decide if he stays or goes, if an offer comes in. Pretty much every club ever can’t hold onto an unhappy player. Absolutely, the club has the right to force the price but that process has it’s limitations.

Assuming an offer emerges, assuming Sheaf wants the move, the club will have to balance negotiating hard for the right price and getting cash for a replacement and enough time to complete a deal.

BlueSkiesForever

Of course we’re relying on wingers more, we didn’t play any last year! 🤣
Yeah of course, I’m just saying it’d be nice if the whole team (bar the defence obviously) had the ability to shoot accurately or chip in with assists. The midfield are literally just there for passes completed atm, they don’t really worry the keeper much, just a lot of faffing around the opposition’s box and losing of the ball.

Basically I think that if we want to aim for automatics or at least a solid play-off place then we need to have a better midfield, and although players like Kelly and Eccles are alright they rarely look like causing the opposition problems.

PVA

Bad day at the Basildon?

Well the Bristol City manager at the time said that Palmer made sacrifices to join them.

Which one can only assume means financially.

Though as you were apparently in the room during the negotiations I'm sure you can shed some light on what those sacrifices were.

Sky Blue Harry H

although players like Kelly and Eccles are alright they rarely look like causing the opposition problems.

Kelly - end of career, Eccles at the front end of his. You do need at least one of these type of players in the team to break up play, hold the team together. It is why England will always have a Rice type to let Foden, Bellingham etc go do their stuff, and why you'll rarely/never see a Maddison, Bellingham, Foden, Grealish type midfield. It's always about getting the right mix. Whether Eccles will need upgrading at some point, perhaps - but he's at the very least a decent squad player.

Users who are viewing this thread