Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (27 Viewers)

Frostie

Agreed, deaths and hospital Covid inpatients is what they’ll be keeping a close eye on in coming weeks.

Indeed. Cases alone is not a surprise & not the major issue.
Hospitalisations were looking concerning even before "Freedom Day" though...

Screenshot_20210719-135947~2.png

COV

Vaccine passports apparently.

Or immunisation records as we’ve called them since the dawn of international travel.

Why don’t they say that, from what I’ve seen they’re just kicking off with police and demanding that Boris Johnson be incarcerated

shmmeee

Why don’t they say that, from what I’ve seen they’re just kicking off with police and demanding that Boris Johnson be incarcerated

Well that’s what I saw people on Twitter defending it saying. Seen elsewhere it’s an anti vax protest.

Fuck knows. I doubt the people there know.

Reactions: COV

Philosorapter

One would have thought that a reasonable way to limit deaths and hospitalisations would be to limit infections?

I think there are two schools of thought on this but I could be wrong.

1.) Get the wave over now in Summer instead of Autumn/Winter.

2.) Herd immunity etc.

Does opening up the country once folks have been vaccinated or about to be lead to enough of a lessening of the link between covid and hospitalisations?

We're definitely going to find out.

COV

2.) Herd immunity etc.

Does opening up the country once folks have been vaccinated or about to be lead to enough of a lessening of the link between covid and hospitalisations?

I was being a bit facetious tbh, but the point stands- opening up fully now is a massive gamble and nobody knows how it will pan out. Our track record isn’t the best is it.

shmmeee

In all seriousness, fuck knows. I have a feeling best bet once everyone’s vaxxed is to accept the increased load on the NHS and fund accordingly. What else can you do?

Can’t just sit around hoping it gets less serious surely? And if you are you’d want more mutations not less wouldnt you?

Evo1883

2.) Herd immunity etc.

Both 1 and 2 IMO , I guess they are hoping we will be in a good place come autumn .

Obviously it feels like it would be better if us alongside our neighbouring countries all came out of this together .. probably not practically possible but what do I know , I'm just a lorry driver

shmmeee

Still don’t get how you get to herd immunity with a virus that you can catch more than once. May be missing something obvious.

Evo1883

Still don’t get how you get to herd immunity with a virus that you can catch more than once. May be missing something obvious.

I still don't understand when there will ever be a correct time to go back to normal if we also don't reach 100% vaccination , which we never will .

Because surely no matter when that time is , which we've deemed to be now , cases will blow up

NorthernWisdom

And if you are you’d want more mutations not less wouldnt you?
I don't know enough which way it works - if easier infection means a virus doubles down on its killer potential, or if it works harder and becomes more deadly if it finds itself constrained (and attendantly the other way too, because the goal is easily transmissable, not much harm - and that *will* happen at some point)

Frankly, it's too hot for me to concentrate enough to read up and find out, as well :p

COV

That bit has got me too, I thought it was simple but reading about it yesterday- it isn’t. Apparently it’s technically impossible to get full herd immunity with a virus that mutates like this and which you can catch repeatedly. So it’s not ‘herd immunity’, it’s ‘herd tolerance’ as the effects won’t be as bad. But who knows for sure.

Evo1883

That bit has got me too, I thought it was simple but reading about it yesterday- it isn’t. Apparently it’s technically impossible to get full herd immunity with a virus that mutates like this and which you can catch repeatedly. So it’s not ‘herd immunity’, it’s ‘herd tolerance’ as the effects won’t be as bad. But who knows for sure.

So basically a similar situation to flu .. we know it's going to kill people and you can catch it more than once , but we vaccine the vulnerable and hope for the best , it still takes the lives of 10s of thousands every year ..with a vaccine

shmmeee

I don't know enough which way it works - if easier infection means a virus doubles down on its killer potential, or if it works harder and becomes more deadly if it finds itself constrained (and attendantly the other way too, because the goal is easily transmissable, not much harm - and that *will* happen at some point)

Frankly, it's too hot for me to concentrate enough to read up and find out, as well :p

First principles would suggest a virus needs to keep its hosts alive longer to spread more. But this one is already pretty contagious before it kills people so who knows.

Philosorapter

I've seen projections, where the mean of the current wave peak is about in the middle of the Autumn and Winter hospitalisations peaks before cases rescind.

if the modeling is off then anything can happen.

Last edited:

shmmeee

Build up a residual protection, so that eventually said virus is less potent?

That’s not herd immunity though, which kills off the virus cos it can’t get to a new host.

I think you’re right though. Vaccines and anti viral improvements probably the way to go.

NorthernWisdom

First principles would suggest a virus needs to keep its hosts alive longer to spread more. But this one is already pretty contagious before it kills people so who knows.

Sorry, too quick shorthand phrasing. I meant if, at present, the virus finding it easier, or harder, to infect other people, and what effect that would have on it (i.e. it has a barrier due to vaccines atm - is it likely to head for a breaking version that provides a mere snuffle, or post-apocalyptic plague?)

I feel very much like we need a spot of cake or death, please.

COV

So basically a similar situation to flu .. we know it's going to kill people and you can catch it more than once , but we vaccine the vulnerable and hope for the best , it still takes the lives of 10s of thousands every year ..with a vaccine

The thing I read said it’s not like flu, but it never explained why, or I didn’t understand it- it’s all a bit much when the experts get talking. But I agree with you I think

Evo1883

The thing I read said it’s not like flu, but it never explained why, or I didn’t understand it- it’s all a bit much when the experts get talking. But I agree with you I think

It's not like flu , it's more contagious and has the potential to cause more damage .

I mean covid is strange in a sense that many people can have it and have no symptoms

Flu , I'm pretty sure you know when you have the flu

Both have more effect on the elderly , both in hospital admissions and deaths

Mind you as we all know there have been some pretty serious flu outbreaks in the past

Evo1883

Pedant alert
The father of the bride walks her up the aisle. It's your job to walk her down the aisle!!

giphy.gif

hill83

Just ordered a bev at the bar in the city arms. No masks. Sick of it already. Waited 5 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread