Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (22 Viewers)

shmmeee

This is what I don't get, I've also had 3 and the 3rd one was biontech I think,and that changes something in the gene's or cells so what's the need?

mRNA vaccines don’t change anything in your DNA or cells. Like other vaccines it’s just a method to provoke an immune response. No vaccine is in your system after a few weeks, the entire point is to prime your immune system, not to augment it.

This is a good explainer of mRNA vaccines: Will an mRNA vaccine alter my DNA?

Ian1779

Couple of people I know here in Kent suggest they have it. Just checked out Government website which suggests slight increase since July in cases and hospitalisations but not deaths. To be expected there will be peaks and troughs but let's hope Richie has a plan up his sleeve just in case.
He’s got a plan for himself…. Acquire a stake in a pharmaceutical company and then shortly declare that boosters can be purchased…..

Brighton Sky Blue

mRNA vaccines don’t change anything in your DNA or cells. Like other vaccines it’s just a method to provoke an immune response. No vaccine is in your system after a few weeks, the entire point is to prime your immune system, not to augment it.

This is a good explainer of mRNA vaccines: Will an mRNA vaccine alter my DNA?
Indeed, but the memory cells are what remain from the initial vaccination and provide the lasting immunity. Though we don’t know in this instance how long they hang around for.

shmmeee

Indeed, but the memory cells are what remain from the initial vaccination and provide the lasting immunity. Though we don’t know in this instance how long they hang around for.

Sorry yeah, was more focusing on the belief your genes were changed.

So is the specific issue with COVID that any immunity wanes or that the virus evolves like flu and needs a different response? Like am I still OK against whatever the fuck was before Omicron or what? TBH I’ve not paid a blind bit of attention for ages.

Brighton Sky Blue

Sorry yeah, was more focusing on the belief your genes were changed.

So is the specific issue with COVID that any immunity wanes or that the virus evolves like flu and needs a different response? Like am I still OK against whatever the fuck was before Omicron or what? TBH I’ve not paid a blind bit of attention for ages.
The virus is continuously mutating to be more infectious and/or resistant to immunity (some mutations are more advantageous for one than the other) so that it can keep reproducing. I don't know how quickly COVID does it compared to flu, but that one and the common cold will mutate every year and so we'll keep catching them till we die. For the flu we look to the southern hemisphere to see what strains are becoming dominant during their winters so we can prepare the next round of vaccines. It's kind of a very well educated guess.

With COVID we've got tracking all over the world to identify emerging strains more quickly and thus keep on top of preparing new vaccines. But it'll be pretty much a round the year task from hereon.

shmmeee

The virus is continuously mutating to be more infectious and/or resistant to immunity (some mutations are more advantageous for one than the other) so that it can keep reproducing. I don't know how quickly COVID does it compared to flu, but that one and the common cold will mutate every year and so we'll keep catching them till we die. For the flu we look to the southern hemisphere to see what strains are becoming dominant during their winters so we can prepare the next round of vaccines. It's kind of a very well educated guess.

With COVID we've got tracking all over the world to identify emerging strains more quickly and thus keep on top of preparing new vaccines. But it'll be pretty much a round the year task from hereon.

Yeah that was my understanding: it was more like flu than say the measles vaccine or whatever. Which brings me back to the original question I guess: why take flu and not COVID?

Brighton Sky Blue

I shall continue my time honoured tradition of doing whatever the NHS tells me and in the meantime killing anything near my body with a mix of tobacco strong coffee and anxiety.
Fast food for me. I reckon I've had enough preservatives, sweeteners and E-numbers to kill off any virus

OffenhamSkyBlue

Just a couple of comments on your excellent post ...

1. Viruses will be mutating all the time, and some mutations will enhance its activity while others will reduce it. Those activities include the ability to bind to its target cells, which is in general an indicator of how fast the virus is taken up by the cell and starts replicating, the point at which it causes the disease. These (for Covid) are usually mutations in the Spike coat protein which we heard so much about when a new variant was doing the rounds. Other mutations may affect the actual ability to cause the disease itself. The hope was that a mutant would emerge which spread faster but had lost the ability to cause severe disease. This may have become fixed in the population and out-competed the more severe strains.

2. The overall mutation rate of Covid has been shown to be about 25 times LOWER than Influenza A virus due to a proof-reading mechanism in the proteins which replicate the viral genome.

And to reiterate, no mRNA molecule (vaccine or otherwise) can directly alter the genome of any cell it enters. Its purpose is to be translated to produce the Spike protein which then gets recognised by the cells (and other non-cellular components) of the immune system to generate an immune response. This is very long-lived, although does reduce over time, hence the need for booster vaccines.

skybluetony176

I don’t get the resistance to getting the vaccine boosters. You’re basically saying I’m going to rely on getting immunity from catching it on a regular basis, think I read you have to catch it three times a year to gain the same immunity as the booster. If that’s right why not just get the booster in the first place?

Saddlebrains

I don’t get the resistance to getting the vaccine boosters. You’re basically saying I’m going to rely on getting immunity from catching it on a regular basis, think I read you have to catch it three times a year to gain the same immunity as the booster. If that’s right why not just get the booster in the first place?

I just cant buy into any 'booster' thats been needed to be stuck into people 6 or 7 times in 3 years tbh

chiefdave

I just cant buy into any 'booster' thats been needed to be stuck into people 6 or 7 times in 3 years tbh
How have you been offered so many? I’m classed as vulnerable and have had every one offered and I’ve had 4. The initial two and then winter boosters the last 2 winters in line with the flu vaccination program we’ve been running for years.

There was a spring booster for the most vulnerable this year but I’m pretty sure that’s the only one so far I haven’t been offered

Saddlebrains

How have you been offered so many? I’m classed as vulnerable and have had every one offered and I’ve had 4. The initial two and then winter boosters the last 2 winters in line with the flu vaccination program we’ve been running for years.

There was a spring booster for the most vulnerable this year but I’m pretty sure that’s the only one so far I haven’t been offered

I was exaggerating tbf, was offered boosters after the initial 2 but im not doing it. The initial 2 and a natural infection of it at 33 id like to think my immune system is good enough to cope

SBT

I was exaggerating tbf, was offered boosters after the initial 2 but im not doing it. The initial 2 and a natural infection of it at 33 id like to think my immune system is good enough to cope
So why do you feel confident about dealing with Covid on your own without a booster, but not the flu?

Saddlebrains

So why do you feel confident about dealing with Covid on your own without a booster, but not the flu?

Because ive had flu and its horrendous, couldnt get out of bed for days.

Had covid twice and i genuinely felt fine apart from a bit tired and couldnt eat sauce

Grendel

How old are you?
I've only started having them in the last year or two. Think they should of offered me them earlier but saw what a fine figure of health I was and didn't bother.
blondie GIF

Users who are viewing this thread