Coventry bookies favourite to be City of Culture 2021 (1 Viewer)

armybike

Ladbrokes have Cov as 2/1 favourites to become the City of Culture in 2021.

I think this could be the kick up the arse that Cov needs and it would open up funding opportunities that wouldn't normally be available. I hope we get it and that Cov Council maximise the potential and locals fully embrace it.

pusbccfc

Looking at the other competitors, we have a good chance.

Imagine if Milton Keynes won... HAHA.

Otis

Ladbrokes have Cov as 2/1 favourites to become the City of Culture in 2021.

I think this could be the kick up the arse that Cov needs and it would open up funding opportunities that wouldn't normally be available. I hope we get it and that Cov Council maximise the potential and locals fully embrace it.

What? Shitty, crappy Coventry? Surely some mistake.

chiefdave

Would be great to get this. Does it mean new venues opening? Past the obvious few I can't think of two many places for culture in the city at the moment.

Otis

Would be great to get this. Does it mean new venues opening? Past the obvious few I can't think of two many places for culture in the city at the moment.

Coventry has a really good track record of the arts, Dave, to be honest.

Outside of London, more theatre groups than anywhere else. Lots of award winning theatre too. Imagineer Productions are obviously here too and they produced the magnificent Godiva puppet, which was breathtaking (still is).

Venues wise we are a bit lacking, with only the Belgrade, Warwick Arts Centre, the Albany, the Wheatsheaf, Criterion and Ego. Bluecoat and Sidney Stringer also put a fair bit on mind and now Square One show both film and theatre.

There's also the new performance venue at Fargo, due to open any time soon. That is for theatre, bands,performance.

Grendel

How many cities applied? 5 did last year didn't they?

Grendel

Yep, that's it. Go on, knock Coventry yet again. I know you really want to. :whistle:;)

I'm just asking, people confuse this with the European City of Culture. Who applied this year?

olderskyblue

armybike

Aberdeen, Cardiff, Hereford, Milton Keynes, Paisley, Plymouth, Southend, Sunderland and Worcester are also in the running.

Grendel

Aberdeen, Cardiff, Hereford, Milton Keynes, Paisley, Plymouth, Southend, Sunderland and Worcester are also in the running.

Are they all cities?

Captain Dart

Didn't they give this to Hull & Liverpool before, so if that is the standard we're nailed on to take it!

jimmyhillsfanclub

Didn't they give this to Hull & Liverpool before, so if that is the standard we're nailed on to take it!

errr...no. Liverpool won the more prestigious EUROPEAN capital of culture in 2008......like Glasgow before it in 1990.

....Coventry have been nominated for the far newer "UK capital of culture" which has been dreamt up in the hope to replicate the regenerational effects witnessed & enjoyed by both Glasgow in 1990 & Liverpool in 2008.....

Derry in NI was the first winner of this lesser version in 2010.....Hull in 2017....

As a betting man, my money will be on Plymouth or Aberdeen to win the next one, but good luck to Coventry....fingers crossed they get it.

SimonGilbert

Telegraph Tea Boy

oakey

The heritage weekend in September is top drawer. Coventry was, of course, the capital of England several times in the past, check it out if you don't believe me. It is a jewel for anything heritage or history wise.

The Godiva festival is also brilliant for a city of its size.

Many people confuse culture with the arts now. It also includes pride in its history and architecture, churches etc.

Users who are viewing this thread