Match Thread Coventry City at Cheltenham Town Match Thread - Saturday 28th Apr (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Harry H

A combination of positivity from the players, round pegs in round holes, and the backing of the fans should get us the point we need, otherwise it's 'Come on Yeovil' !

Edit - I have just read Earlsdon's post and I too want us to 'go for it' but I would still take the point if you offered it me now.

Londonccfcfan

What are you talking about? You've taken my post and digested it in the completely wrong way.

I have said multiple times that we need to go out tomorrow and play like our lives depend on it. We need the 3 points otherwise we are in serious trouble. I would back Mansfield to win both games, and I'd back Morecambe to stop us from winning if they need a point to stay up. Both teams will want it more than us. If we have to go into the last game needing to win then we'll bottle it.

I am pointing out that the 'playing for a draw' idea tomorrow is absolutely bonkers, and I am also trying to point out that people who think we are walking into the playoffs and the final at Wembley need some strong coffee and a slap! There are far too many complacent people at the moment, including our defence.

That’s the other worrying message I’m picking up from all of us. We seem to think Morecambe is going to be a gimme. Will be far from it. They are a very well organised teamwho have to be on their budget. Punching well above their league. Can see a 0-0 Draw there.

Londonccfcfan

Yes agree, just go for it. We can do with a ridiculous result like 6-2 etc in our favour, then all but seals it. No matter what Mansfield do.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Surely it can’t be possible to finish a season with your highest points total in how many years and not get in the play offs

Ffs city please win this one

Otis

What are you talking about? You've taken my post and digested it in the completely wrong way.

I have said multiple times that we need to go out tomorrow and play like our lives depend on it. We need the 3 points otherwise we are in serious trouble. I would back Mansfield to win both games, and I'd back Morecambe to stop us from winning if they need a point to stay up. Both teams will want it more than us. If we have to go into the last game needing to win then we'll bottle it.

I am pointing out that the 'playing for a draw' idea tomorrow is absolutely bonkers, and I am also trying to point out that people who think we are walking into the playoffs and the final at Wembley need some strong coffee and a slap! There are far too many complacent people at the moment, including our defence.
I don't think we will exactly play for a draw, I don't think we have played for a draw all season. What we have done though is to have a cautious approach, so protect goals going in our end first and then intend to catch the opposition on the break.

Think that's what we will do tomorrow too. Our defence has been far too leaky by half lately. We have to stop that right here and now.

If we attack, can we outscore Cheltenham?

skybluesam66

the pattern this season is
Score first, we probably win, and certainly dont lose
Concede first we probably lose - although slight chance of coming back

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

If we attack, can we outscore Cheltenham?

Yes, they really aren't that good.

I saw them earlier in the season against Newport and it was like watching a semi-pro game. We shouldn't be fearing them, and whilst Eisa should be tactically taken out the game, we don't need to shit ourselves at him like a lot of people are.

Moore at right back should be targeted as well as their general defence. It cannot take pressure.

Covstu

If we go looking for the draw, we will lose the game. We have to go and win this one and i'm not saying we go all out attack but we should have enough to beat this lot. First 20 are going to be vital, we get a goal there and put them on the back foot.
I would replicate the same formation as the Stevenage game, if we are 2 up then move to 4 across the midfield. Would like to see reid start also to show some real attacking intent plus this would stop the likes of Haynes having to get forward and getting caught on the break

ccfcricoh

I don't think anyone is suggesting we play for a draw are they? taking a draw and playing for one is very different. There is no way Robins won't be going for a win - how we go about it is a different question!

I think we will win, Mansfield won't and Morecambe becomes a day to enjoy and celebrate and we can all stop stressing until playoffs come around

Liquid Gold

I think Mansfield will get a maximum of 4 points from there remaining games so a win here could do it for us. We need to stay tight early on as conceding early is what seems to completely ruin the game for us. Not too many changes as the players that fucked up on Tuesday should be chomping at the bit to make it right. The 4-3-3 has been working against lower teams so I'd be happy for us to go in with that again. In the playoffs we might be better off with the 'overly defensive' 4-4-2 with Kelly and Doyle as that has consistently worked against the better teams.

ATB81

I realise i have no chance, but if a couple of tickets become available for tomorrow, then I will pay and collect whenever or wherever convenient. Thanks. #pusb

Otis

Yes, they really aren't that good.

I saw them earlier in the season against Newport and it was like watching a semi-pro game. We shouldn't be fearing them, and whilst Eisa should be tactically taken out the game, we don't need to shit ourselves at him like a lot of people are.

Moore at right back should be targeted as well as their general defence. It cannot take pressure.
No-one is shitting themselves over Eisa, but the bloke has scored 24 goals in what you describe as a very poor team.

Doesn't that tell you he is going to score no matter how crap they are? He has obviously been doing just that.

ATB81

if you cant its pay on gate in the home end terrace

Appreciate the heads up. If that's the only option i'll have to listen on radio/through FB live. Completelymy own fault. I had priority and on that morning of priority sale, I remembered just a touch too late and sold out. There's sometimes the odd ticket or two going for sale late doors, but not likely I dont think. Thanks again

Otis

Depends on how strict they are on the gate doesn't it?

Surely they don't question every fan to ask if they are a Cheltenham supporter or not do they?

ATB81

Depends on how strict they are on the gate doesn't it?

Surely they don't question every fan to ask if they are a Cheltenham supporter or not do they?

You'd think not, but no idea to be honest. Just praying last minute the improbable happens and i can grab hold of a couple being sold

clint van damme

just looking at the repective recent form of Mansfield and Yeovil. Identical points tally from the last 6 games, however, Yeovil have had much tougher fixtures 3 games against top 4 teams and 2 more against top 10 teams including their hammering of us.
Mansfield have had a much easier set of fixtures and still only managed the same points, (I appreciate I may be clutching at straws!)

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

No-one is shitting themselves over Eisa, but the bloke has scored 24 goals in what you describe as a very poor team.

Doesn't that tell you he is going to score no matter how crap they are? He has obviously been doing just that.

Really? A few comments on here have indicated we're about to play Real Madrid and he's Ronaldo.

We should go into this game with a confident but streetwise attitude and grab the three points. Nothing else is good enough.

Otis

Really? A few comments on here have indicated we're about to play Real Madrid and he's Ronaldo.

We should go into this game with a confident but streetwise attitude and grab the three points. Nothing else is good enough.
No-one has said he's Ronaldo. They've just said he's the best striker in this division and I agree.

He is scoring in a poor team, which is a much better feat than Billy Kee who is scoring in the best team in the league.

He's a real threat and I don't think we can pretend otherwise. We need to be right on our game tomorrow with him in their side.

Oh and I wouldn't say a draw is not good enough. Not by a long chalk.

Great_Expectations

I am worried about tomorrow. It would be typical Coventry to continue to implode, lose tomorrow and watch Mansfield win 3-0.

I know it is against his nature, but Robins NEEDS to play an attacking team and tactics. If we play for a draw tomorrow we are shooting ourselves in the foot as either a) we go behind and have no way of getting back or b) we draw but Mansfield win.

We need our best players on the pitch tomorrow, and/or those who have the ability to change games, even if they are inconsistent. With that in mind I would play:

Burge

Grimmer Davies Willis Stokes

Kelly Doyle Bayliss

McNulty JCH Reid

While McNulty is wasted out wide, the pace of him and Reid can cause issues. I’d also play Stokes as, if we are set up to attack, he is far less likely to get exposed due to his better positioning. I’d also drop ROD as he’s a liability, and while Davies is slow, ROD isn’t exactly quick. Plus we have Willis for that. If DKE wasn’t injured I’d play him ahead of Grimmer.

I’m glad I’m playing myself tomorrow as I’ll be distracted and not nervously checking my phone every 10 seconds.

0-2, McNulty and Bayliss.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I am worried about tomorrow. It would be typical Coventry to continue to implode, lose tomorrow and watch Mansfield win 3-0.

I know it is against his nature, but Robins NEEDS to play an attacking team and tactics. If we play for a draw tomorrow we are shooting ourselves in the foot as either a) we go behind and have no way of getting back or b) we draw but Mansfield win.

We need our best players on the pitch tomorrow, and/or those who have the ability to change games, even if they are inconsistent. With that in mind I would play:

Burge

Grimmer Davies Willis Stokes

Kelly Doyle Bayliss

McNulty JCH Reid

While McNulty is wasted out wide, the pace of him and Reid can cause issues. I’d also play Stokes as, if we are set up to attack, he is far less likely to get exposed due to his better positioning. I’d also drop ROD as he’s a liability, and while Davies is slow, ROD isn’t exactly quick. Plus we have Willis for that. If DKE wasn’t injured I’d play him ahead of Grimmer.

I’m glad I’m playing myself tomorrow as I’ll be distracted and not nervously checking my phone every 10 seconds.

0-2, McNulty and Bayliss.

Agree with all of that.

Who do you play for out of interest?

Sky Blue Harry H

Looking (nervously) forward to tomorrow - my wife and son safely booked into somewhere called Mulligan's (36 holes of golf?!?) in Cheltenham whilst I enjoy a local hostelry. Asking for trouble, I know, but I've already marked the play off dates (and Wembley) on the calendar!

Adge

Stokes HAS to be in tomorrow for Haynes and as has been said the first goal is key. Davies aswell for McDonald.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I’d be tempted to shuffle things up. Make a statement to go with the post match interview the other day. None of this pampering giving the shy lads another chance!

I’d be bringing Davies back in, either one or both of Willis or McDonald deserve to be dropped, Stokes in for Haynes, Reid in for Bayliss or Kelly, depending on who robins prefers to come back into CM alongside Doyle, and play McNulty and Biamou up top together.

Grimmer is lucky it’s coming to the end of the season and that we have no competition at RB as his performance on tuesday was poor, although I accept every player is entitled to a bad game or two, but being at fault for near on 3 out of 4 goals is more than a bad day at the Office

Otis

I’d be tempted to shuffle things up. Make a statement to go with the post match interview the other day. None of this pampering giving the shy lads another chance!

I’d be bringing Davies back in, either one or both of Willis or McDonald deserve to be dropped, Stokes in for Haynes, Reid in for Bayliss or Kelly, depending on who robins prefers to come back into CM alongside Doyle, and play McNulty and Biamou up top together.

Grimmer is lucky it’s coming to the end of the season and that we have no competition at RB as his performance on tuesday was poor, although I accept every player is entitled to a bad game or two, but being at fault for near on 3 out of 4 goals is more than a bad day at the Office
And he was at fault for some of the Yeovil goals too.

He has become a bit of a liability lately to be honest. That's why I would consider playing Willis, Rod AND Davies tomorrow. Or maybe Willis, Hyam and Davies.

I don't like Willis at right back because his distribution is so bad, but he is more solid than Grimmer.

lifeskyblue

I’d keep the same back 4 and tell them before the game that their mistakes have cost points and now is the time for strength and commitment; time to prove that ‘best defensive ‘ record was no fluke. Instill in them and burge the desire and need to keep a clean sheet.
I would be tempted to swap biamou for JCH only because the latter ‘came in like a lion’ but is ending the season like a lamb. He just seems to have gone off the boil. If needed bring Reid on early second half

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otis

I’d keep the same back 4 and tell them before the game that their mistakes have cost points and now is the time for strength and commitment; time to prove that ‘best defensive ‘ record was no fluke. Instill in them and burge the desire and need to keep a clean sheet.
I would be tempted to swap biamou for JCH only because the latter ‘came in like a lion’ but is ending the season like a lamb. He just seems to have gone off the boil. If needed bring Reid on early second half

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do think there will be changes, I really do. Robins was so incensed. I think he will change 1 or 2 at least.

stevefloyd

Its a dilemma for Robins, does he change the team or does he say you fucked it up Tuesday get out there and prove you want to be here and show the fans some pride and passion and go and get the 3 points to take us to the play offs

Users who are viewing this thread