Match Thread Coventry City at Oxford United Match Thread - Tuesday 14th Aug (8 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

Strikers are playing out of position out wide which we have to look at

Quiet dressing room - let’s see if they learn

People won’t keep getting chances

It’s a game where you have to learn quickly

People are going to have to come and take Doyle’s shirt and try to force out a 37 year old. Shows the character of him and the big contribution he makes

These are quite telling. This insistence on playing newly signed strikers as wingers probably has them wondering why the hell they joined. Is he afraid of dropping Doyle as and when he falls further behind?

larry_david

It's early days. People enjoy a meltdown, i feel like having a meltdown. We've gone from ripping top league 2 teams to shreds to completely changing our system within 3 months. And all because mcnulty left. Just fucking replace mcnulty with a player that's like for like.

It almost feels like we've not had a pre season and we've had to start 4 weeks behind everyone else.

Some of those comments are baffling as well. Sign some wingers if you don't want to play strikers out wide. We managed to sign the 'best lb in league 1' and play off finalists captain in brown and ogogo, we had the momentum, the lure and the draw to make a real statement. Only 2 League games in and a league Cup but no goals from open-plan, about 5 players out of position and some serious questions over recruitment.

SlowerThanPlatt

Maybe he should have signed some wingers when he had the chance. One at the club and he’s injured, makes zero sense if we’re going to be playing 4-2-3-1.

Yep it’s a strange comment, the Bakayoko signing made absolutely no sense when we play with one striker and had just signed Hiwula as well as having Biamou and Clarke Harris on the books with similar scoring records to him

Ashdown

Talking about strikers and work rate, and getting into the box …....weren't we warned by Walsall fans about Bakayoko for one ?! Football isn't rocket science is it, get the spine right, get the fitness and attitude right and get the confidence in tune and hope some for some luck and ability to shine at this level. Still early days !

Brighton Sky Blue

It's early days. People enjoy a meltdown, i feel like having a meltdown. We've gone from ripping top league 2 teams to shreds to completely changing our system within 3 months. And all because mcnulty left. Just fucking replace mcnulty with a player that's like for like.

It almost feels like we've not had a pre season and we've had to start 4 weeks behind everyone else.

Some of those comments are baffling as well. Sign some wingers if you don't want to play strikers out wide. We managed to sign the 'best lb in league 1' and play off finalists captain in brown and ogogo, we had the momentum, the lure and the draw to make a real statement. Only 2 League games in and a league Cup but no goals from open-plan, about 5 players out of position and some serious questions over recruitment.

Courtesy of the play offs we did start a few weeks behind and considering that have recruited fairly well but it's as clear as day that McNulty hasn't been replaced. Hiwula and Bakayoko may come good but haven't got a hope of achieving it out of position. No need for panic stations though if he carries on last season's trend of sticking with a busted flush we're on for a repeat of 16/17.

chiefdave

Yep it’s a strange comment, the Bakayoko signing made absolutely no sense when we play with one striker and had just signed Hiwula as well as having Biamou and Clarke Harris on the books with similar scoring records to him
I don't really get how the players we've signed fit in with the system we're trying to play. Even more so if we sign Chaplin who we still seem to be chasing. The reports from Pompey are that he can't play up from on his own so that puts him in the Andreu role in our current setup but surely we aren't going to start leaving him out or push him in to a position where he's less effective.

This formation almost seems like we start selecting the team from the back by the time he gets to the forward positions we've got too many players and no room to fit them in!

Londonccfcfan

Never thought I’d hear that sentence; Lee Burge gives the back line more confidence (out of the keepers we have!)

I wasn’t there tonight but surely OBrien isn’t the problem here?

A commanding keeper the least of our problems.

But on that note Obrian when the pressure was on our defence he did nothing to help. At fault for first goal.

This is really depressing. How I hate that ground.

Brighton Sky Blue

I don't really get how the players we've signed fit in with the system we're trying to play. Even more so if we sign Chaplin who we still seem to be chasing. The reports from Pompey are that he can't play up from on his own so that puts him in the Andreu role in our current setup but surely we aren't going to start leaving him out or push him in to a position where he's less effective.

This formation almost seems like we start selecting the team from the back by the time he gets to the forward positions we've got too many players and no room to fit them in!

Even without Chaplin on the books we have 5 strikers at the moment but are going with 1 up top. At this moment in time with such a lop sided team he may be best copying Southgate's 5-3-2 until Jones returns to the fold

Londonccfcfan

That's been the huge issue for me too...yes I pre judged him to be garbage (going by his record). But like you say it was blatantly obvious to all. That signing was and is non sensical!

stupot07

Very worrying, rather than build on last seasons success, robins seems to have ripped up the team and thrown out the tactics book.

No goals from open play, outplayed 2 games running, and looking like he doesn't know his best team, then complains that strikers are playing on the wing, despite him signing them and picking the team.

Big game saturday now.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Two weeks ago I said quality not quantity you need are we in a better position player wise than we were might have 2 or 3 players for every position but have we got quality I think no and that goes for management as far as I am concerned kneejerk some may say . I have thought this for most of last season we got lucky from 7th in the league by playing too defensively most of the time and this season we don't seem to have a clue how to set the team up a team that he put together.

Brighton Sky Blue

4-4-2

Burge

Grimmer Willis hyam brown

Bayliss ogogo kelly Shipley

Biamou hiwula

Actually that team looks poor. I don't fooking know! Why's he signed so many similar players

5-3-2

Burge

Grimmer Willis Davies Hyam Brown

Andreu Ogogo Bayliss

Anyone up front with Biamou

May at least reduce our chances of conceding sloppy goals with a simple plan.

no_loyalty

5-3-2

Burge

Grimmer Willis Davies Hyam Brown

Andreu Ogogo Bayliss

Anyone up front with Biamou

May at least reduce our chances of conceding sloppy goals with a simple plan.

Nice idea but it looks like Sterling has to play if he is fit, maybe the reason why he joined us and not a championship club?

Gibbo

That was dross tonight. They got better as they gradually took the new guys off and replaced them with the Div 2 team.
Ogogo was too isolated in the middle - Bayliss may be creative , but it puts too much pressure on the other central midfielder
Biamou's stamina and commitment are astonishing but he needs someone playing off him. Ponticelli was an improvement, so I would play him
Stirling is a boy in a man's game - send him back as soon as poss. Grimmer has to return
Of the new forwards AB looked the best, worked hard and tried to make things happen, so I was surprised he was the first to be replaced. I think he will be ok
Brown was out of position for both goals, although the first one was down to him filling in when Hyam went awol. Hyam is slow - I hope Willis is fit for Saturday
The decision to to play Allassani in the U23 's is a mystery. Could have used his creativity

This is going to be a test for Robins' management skills. There are some hard decisions to be made. At the moment he needs in the side two central midfielders, Bayliss, Andreu and two strikers and a winger, which is more people than there are places

Gibbo

That was dross tonight. They got better as they gradually took the new guys off and replaced them with the Div 2 team.
Ogogo was too isolated in the middle - Bayliss may be creative , but it puts too much pressure on the other central midfielder
Biamou's stamina and commitment are astonishing but he needs someone playing off him. Ponticelli was an improvement, so I would play him
Stirling is a boy in a man's game - send him back as soon as poss. Grimmer has to return
Of the new forwards AB looked the best, worked hard and tried to make things happen, so I was surprised he was the first to be replaced. I think he will be ok
Brown was out of position for both goals, although the first one was down to him filling in when Hyam went awol. Hyam is slow - I hope Willis is fit for Saturday
The decision to to play Allassani in the U23 's is a mystery. Could have used his creativity

This is going to be a test for Robins' management skills. There are some hard decisions to be made. At the moment he needs in the side two central midfielders, Bayliss, Andreu and two strikers and a winger, which is more people than there are places

Nick

Administrator

Agree with that, Bakayoka was the best out of those up front. He was working hard, tracking back and some neat touches and passes.

A few times he made runs and looked rapid but then he came off while Sterling stayed wandering about.

Nick

Administrator
Robins

They were better than us

We didn’t create enough; didn’t move the ball enough

They played really well

They have players who know a lot more

Played off our strikers

They played within the laws better than us

We had two disallowed for offside

Our angle wasn’t great but could have been onside

No complaints about the score line

Looked off

We looked like we weren’t ready for that game

They were more street wise

Suffering for a lack of confidence

Early days

Changes that were made made a difference tonight

Cup game - only positive was performance of JCH, Shipley and Ponti did well when he came on. Made positive contributions

Abu played a good game

Bayliss gave the ball away more than normal

Strikers are playing out of position out wide which we have to look at

Defenders did ok up to 30 mins

Grimmer knows he closed off for the first

Clearly we have to put it behind us quickly and be ready for Saturday

Quiet dressing room - let’s see if they learn

People won’t keep getting chances

It’s a game where you have to learn quickly

Things didn’t function as you would want them to in the first half

Need work rate, and desire to get into the box and score goals

One or two bits where we showed good signs but we have to step up to this level (same division opposition despite being cup game)

People are going to have to come and take Doyle’s shirt and try to force out a 37 year old. Shows the character of him and the big contribution he makes

Saturday was more important for us to use him

Heard a bit of it when my signal could get CWR

Some of it was really baffling. What did he expect? He was tactically out-done for the 3rd game in a row.

CJ_covblaze

Poor game. Very little quality from either side. They looked shit and still scored two relatively easy goals. The performance was probably worse than our last visit there where we conceded 4.

Qwerty70

Back home and made myself a cuppa - reflections.
Bayliss & Grimmer played well and so do Ponti and Shipley off the bench.
New signings all struggled and were ineffective. To me they lack football intelligence, maybe wonderful athletes but the game at the pro level is about decision making and none did anything I couldn’t predict from my seat.
There aren’t enough goals in the squad and unless Robins can pluck an Adam Armstrong we are going to struggle because we simply won’t score enough.
I think Robins is a good coach and he may improve players on the training ground and find a system that better suits but if he doesn’t it could be a long winter .... and spring!
When you get promoted you need to hit the ground running and build some momentum and we haven’t done that. Of course its only 3 games but no goals from open play is a worry. I would like to see Ponti given a run his movement is different and Oxford found him more difficult to mark as he doesn’t just rely on pace and power (something football is becoming obsessed with).
Enjoyed watching Bayliss, if he improves as he should he will be off soon.
Saturday is already a big game, we need a win and if we don’t do the business against Plymouth then you are looking at Gillingham
away and that’s a very tricky place to go to and get 3 points.
PUSB

Liquid Gold

Just got back. That was awful, properly dreadful football. Players don't seem to know where they're meant to play or the system that they're playing. We made simple errors, at times not even being able to complete 5 yard passes. We've signed players who don't fit the system and then play them out of position. We've gone 3 games without a goal from open play and don't look in any danger of changing that.

I'm very worried about our season at the moment. We need a big reaction on Saturday. Robins hopefully gave the players an earful in the dressing room but is also spending the next few days thinking about his own failings so far this season.

Liquid Gold

Back home and made myself a cuppa - reflections.
Bayliss & Grimmer played well and so do Ponti and Shipley off the bench.
New signings all struggled and were ineffective. To me they lack football intelligence, maybe wonderful athletes but the game at the pro level is about decision making and none did anything I couldn’t predict from my seat.
There aren’t enough goals in the squad and unless Robins can pluck an Adam Armstrong we are going to struggle because we simply won’t score enough.
I think Robins is a good coach and he may improve players on the training ground and find a system that better suits but if he doesn’t it could be a long winter .... and spring!
When you get promoted you need to hit the ground running and build some momentum and we haven’t done that. Of course its only 3 games but no goals from open play is a worry. I would like to see Ponti given a run his movement is different and Oxford find him more difficult to mark as he doesn’t just rely on pace and power (something football is becoming obsessed with).
Enjoyed watching Bayliss, if he improves as he should he will be off soon.
Saturday is already a big game, we need a win and if we don’t do the business against Plymouth then you are looking at Gillingham
away and that’s a very tricky place to go to and get 3 points.
PUSB
Bayliss made a couple of really good runs and passes but gave the ball away a hell of a lot, Grimmer had his worst game in a long time. Ponticelli spent his time on the pitch offside and doing little else. It's strange how people can see the game so differently. I'll give you Shipley though.

Brighton Sky Blue

Nice idea but it looks like Sterling has to play if he is fit, maybe the reason why he joined us and not a championship club?

We have good options in both wing/full back positions to be fair. Might even be an idea in that set-up to give Allassani a crack at partnering Biamou, at least until Jones returns and we can use them in Robins' formation. Seems clear that Doyle is not one of our 3 best central midfielders anymore.

Nonleagueherewecome

If he HAS to play, that was a terrible signing and I would say we'd be better off sending him back than have such an obligation. Nobody should be entitled to their place automatically. I dunno if that is the case and hope Robins would not be so naive. What I hope is happening is that he is giving him every chance-second game at RB, still didn't work, OK, give him a go in midfield-nope, not working there, either.

What he needs is a spell on the bench before coming again in a few weeks hopefully when he has settled a bit and the rest of the side has got to know each other better.

Londonccfcfan

I'd rather have Dion Kelly Evans back. Sterling was very very poor again. This time tried in more advanced right side midfield. Again offered or did nothing

Should be nowhere near first team squad.

Surely there has to be something about this lad that no one's seen so far for us? I mean he's in the same under 19 team as Bayliss.

Nonleagueherewecome

4-4-2

Burge

Grimmer Willis hyam brown

Bayliss ogogo kelly Shipley

Biamou hiwula

Actually that team looks poor. I don't fooking know! Why's he signed so many similar players

I think that is about the best we can do at the moment really.

Gibbo

I thought Grimmer played really well.Lots of energy going forward and relentless at the back.

Users who are viewing this thread