Coventry city centre (1 Viewer)

scubasteve

yeah they do serve some of the food in some wacky ways, but the hanging kebabs are really good.
I was told a few months back that they have that much interest that they had to reconfigure the layout to get more units in cathedral lanes and build the extension, and that's why there was a delay as they hoped work would have started in June and open in September but its more likely Christmas/new year now.

Nick

Administrator
Shut it, you faggot.
giphy.gif

Otis

Yet this chain keeps opening restaurants and expanding.

Not for everyone for sure, but the two things I first look for in a restaurant are good food and the ambience. Then there's also friendliness of staff, quality of service and also the time from order to table.

The plates are the least of my worries. Guess a lot of people feel the same, cos this chain is clearly working.

NorthernWisdom

Not for everyone for sure, but the two things I first look for in a restaurant are good food and the ambience. Then there's also friendliness of staff, quality of service and also the time from order to table.

The plates are the least of my worries. Guess a lot of people feel the same, cos this chain is clearly working.
Well that study says otherwise, that most people want to eat off a plate. You're in the minority in not caring.

Otis

Well that study says otherwise, that most people want to eat off a plate. You're in the minority in not caring.
And hey!!! Just looked at that survey. 64% of people are happy to eat off a board and 52% out of a plant pot!!

Not that much of a minority eh.

I like eating off a plate, but am certainly not going to moan if they serve it on garden trowel as long as it tastes good!!

New upmarket restaurant in Coventry and still people knock the place. :)

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

That's why the City Arms works for me.

chiefdave

It matters not. The chain is expanding.
Looks like a rapid expansion over the past two years which makes sense for something that is in fashion at the moment. Will it be sustainable when the hipsters move on to the next fad?

At least it seems the chain has been sold to become part of a larger group so if it does lose popularity its more likely to be a rebrand than closure.

Or maybe it will turn out not to be a fad, who knows.

If they're looking to make Cathedral Lanes up market surely they have to get Wilko out of there.

Nick

Administrator
Do they do beer from a shoe and a kebab in a tray that's been cooked the night before and re-heated in the microwave?

Otis

Looks like a rapid expansion over the past two years which makes sense for something that is in fashion at the moment. Will it be sustainable when the hipsters move on to the next fad?

At least it seems the chain has been sold to become part of a larger group so if it does lose popularity its more likely to be a rebrand than closure.

If they're looking to make Cathedral Lanes up market surely they have to get Wilko out of there.
Well that's what I keep thinking.

My missus works there and they are insisting they are not moving. They have given up upstairs to accommodate the new restaurants and will just be operating from the ground floor, but I agree. Going to be a bit weird all restaurants and then just Wilko.

And on the fad, once the fad fades you just swap back to plates. Not that difficult I don't think.

Otis

Well that's what I keep thinking.

My missus works there and they are insisting they are not moving. They have given up upstairs to accommodate the new restaurants and will just be operating from the ground floor, but I agree. Going to be a bit weird all restaurants and then just Wilko.

And on the fad, once the fad fades you just swap back to plates. Not that difficult I don't think.
My own personal opinion is that they are trying to force Wilko out. Wilko have a contract for about another 3-5 years there, but I think the management company are probably leaning on them and squeezing them, making them give up the first floor.

BHS would be the obvious choice, but Wilko have hit a bit of financial difficulty.

Grendel

The menu itself is fairly standard stuff and in the low to mid price range so actually it may be alright.

NorthernWisdom

And hey!!! Just looked at that survey. 64% of people are happy to eat off a board and 52% out of a plant pot!!

Not that much of a minority eh.

I like eating off a plate, but am certainly not going to moan if they serve it on garden trowel as long as it tastes good!!

New upmarket restaurant in Coventry and still people knock the place. :)
I'm merely pointing out that people prefer to eat off plates, that's indisputible.

If you choose to read magical fairy words into the blank spaces, be my guest :)

NorthernWisdom

Yup. If they paid attention to the research, they're either aiming at a more niche yoof audience (fine, will it travel in years to come? We'll see. It might, it might not) or they're missing a trick of actually using this 'ere thing called a plate if that's not what they're aiming for.

Otis

Then why are you arguing with me by drawing attention to your own habits?

So they lose 47% that aren't.
Ah, if only it was so simple!! ;)

Just because 52% are happy to eat from a plant pot you can't automatically deduce that 48% aren't. You can't say they lose 47%.

Surely there is also a percentage would would rather not eat out of a plant pot but would still do so and would still go.

What you are looking for here are those who simply would not eat out of a plant pot.

I'm sure there's some who would say 'No, I can't be arsed with eating off a trowel and out of a plant pot' and wouldn't go.

Surely there though is a percentage who would rather eat off a plate and prefer not to eat out of a plant pot, but WOULD eat out of a plant pot if they had to.

Don't suppose for a second that it's 52% would and 48% wouldn't.

This is just a preference survey.

What you need is a 'no way would I eat out of a plant pot survey.'

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Yeah, where the hipsters will go and pay for it while they wait for their beard oil to take effect.

Otis

Yeah, where the hipsters will go and pay for it while they wait for their beard oil to take effect.
I have only ever seen it at Spangles. Was quite shocked, but also puzzled as to who would do that.

ajsccfc

The hipster trends don't tend to disappear from sight, they just become mainstream while some other idea comes along that people find ridiculous for five minutes before not being bothered about. Quirky food presentation isn't going to suddenly put a restaurant out of business once the cool dicks of Instagram have moved on to injecting kale directly into their bumcheeks or whatever's next.

Otis

The hipster trends don't tend to disappear from sight, they just become mainstream while some other idea comes along that people find ridiculous for five minutes before not being bothered about. Quirky food presentation isn't going to suddenly put a restaurant out of business once the cool dicks of Instagram have moved on to injecting kale directly into their bumcheeks or whatever's next.
And does that work?

I'm .. umm.... asking for a friend.

Nick

Administrator

You would think they just change it for plates or something else ;)

It would be a novelty to try it, the same as chips in a bucket by the seaside. Don't want to be going to the chippy and them handing them over in a bucket every time though.

NorthernWisdom

Quirky food presentation isn't going to suddenly put a restaurant out of business once the cool dicks of Instagram have moved on to injecting kale directly into their bumcheeks or whatever's next.
I'm not so sure.

Personally I've got an idea for a restaurant, and if I could ever be arsed to actually do it (including learning to cook properly I guess), I'd be flogging it ASAP, before everyone caught onto the fact there wasn't much there beneath the surface!

My biggest sound of fury is it's chains all over the place however. And sure, it's not Coventry, it's everywhere.

But that's what's so bloody depressing about it all.

Give us something individual. If Cathedral Lanes ain't the place to do that (it isn't!) then allow Spon Street to become the independents, give it the small town street corner feel rather than the big corporate I am.

And yes, that should apply for all cities. Watched Dave Gorman last night and it seems I wasn't alone in thinking Cafe Rouge was a small independent when I first went to one!

Users who are viewing this thread