Coventry city centre (2 Viewers)

Otis

If you go, post a picture of the meal to see if it's one of those places where you don't really get much actual food but loads of fancy stuff nobody eats.
Ha!

Does concern me when you get food on a trowel and the trowel is smaller than a normal sized plate and therefore you get less.

Never like it when they stick the chips in those little pots either. Never so many in there as would be in they put them on your plate

Otis

It's a fucking trowel. I don't use my best wedgewood to dig up my preferred Christmas tree.

Might take my Alan Partridge large plate and see if they let me use it.
I am guessing you don't do 'fun' NW. ;)

Sometimes you go out just for a meal, sometimes you go out for a meal with friends in a party like atmosphere.

I don't see much difference in this to what TGI Fridays do. Haven't been for well over 20 years, but so much emphasis was on the fun element.

There was a programme on Beeb breakfast about these fun places (eating in the dark, Harry Potter themed where you get a wand to open up some of your food) and they were proving very, very popular.

Maybe you are just getting old. ;) No-one is forcing you to eat there and there are stacks of alternative choices where it is just about the food.

On the Beeb they were saying these sorts of places were really, really popular with students and the 18-24 age group.

I spoke to my daughter about it and asked her to ask all her friends and it came back with a 100% in favour of wanting to try the experience out.

The reasoning for this? 'Because it looks like fun' being the universal answer from them.

I don't see the problem. At Cathedral Lanes now you have Wagamama, Cosy Club, Los Iguanas, Zizzi, Bistrot Pierre and the Botanist.

That's 6 places. Only 1 of which serves dinner on a trowel.

I would simply say to the dissenters, go to one of the other 5 places.

Don't see the big deal. Loads of places that are not for me. I just don't go there.

NorthernWisdom

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

'Fun'

tommydazzle

This dinner on a trowel outrage is making me laugh out loud. Is it a brick-layer's or gardener's trowel? Does sound bonkers although bits of wood or slate have been used in pubs I've been to. Trendy nonsense unless served off the taut stomach of a bikini-clad beauty, food should be served on a plate.

Otis

This dinner on a trowel outrage is making me laugh out loud. Is it a brick-layer's or gardener's trowel? Does sound bonkers although bits of wood or slate have been used in pubs I've been to. Trendy nonsense unless served off the taut stomach of a bikini-clad beauty, food should be served on a plate.
I kind of agree, but if it works for them and people Ike it and keep coming back, why not?

Different strokes for different folks. There's no right and wrong here.

If you see the pictures, the whole place is swarming with houseplants and that's the theme.

For that reason it sort of makes sense.

I haven't been so cannot say personally if it works or not, but my neice, who is 30, went with a group of friends and they all loved it.

If people like it I don't see the problem.

The place does look gorgeous. That's all I want, nice food, a good atmosphere and a nice looking place to dine.

That ticks all those boxes. I am not interested in eating food off a trowel, I just want a nice experience.

Oh, and Basement Browns serves food on wood, akin to a chopping board.

Otis

I just Googled an image of how Botanist food is served and this did make me smile.

Sauce in a mini wheelbarrow. :)

JS60494150.jpg

Can't see too many people tutting and getting in a huff about that. :)

Well except for people with no soul of course. ;)

NorthernWisdom

Anyway, I'm off to connect the testes of an antelope to a car battery. The high pitched squeel the animal will then make will startle a mouse, who will run into a wooden block, disturbing the scotch egg which will then roll down the inside out snake skin tubing, into the mouths of the eager diners.

It's the only way food should be eaten!

Otis

Anyway, I'm off to connect the testes of an antelope to a car battery. The high pitched squeel the animal will then make will startle a mouse, who will run into a wooden block, disturbing the scotch egg which will then roll down the inside out snake skin tubing, into the mouths of the eager diners.

It's the only way food should be eaten!
The only way?

Not a 1 in 6 choice?

Otis

Been going on for years though in one form or another.

'Italian smoked ham on rye bread with sweet garlic and herb mayo, served with handmade, sea salted kettle chips.'

Or, as we know it at home, a ham sandwich with a packet of crisps.

fellatio_Martinez

Isn't all this a form of what they call 'Whackaging'?

I wouldn't put it under the same umbrella.

Putting crisps in a tea cup of your burger in a helmet is just pretentious sho
Been going on for years though in one form or another.

'Italian smoked ham on rye bread with sweet garlic and herb mayo, served with handmade, sea salted kettle chips.'

Or, as we know it at home, a ham sandwich with a packet of crisps.

Mayo? What kind of peasant area you? It's all about lashings of aioli these days.

Ashdown

I just Googled an image of how Botanist food is served and this did make me smile.

View attachment 11027

The only people who are gonna cry at stuff like this are the super fatties........they should just go to the megga chippy and have double helpings of everything if they want volume....they could even take their own plate !

clint van damme

The only people who are gonna cry at stuff like this are the super fatties........they should just go to the megga chippy and have double helpings of everything if they want volume....they could even take their own plate !

NW isn't happy about it and I'm told he's chiseled like a Greek God.

Otis

Or a sauce holder in the shape of a wheelbarrow.

How are you on gravy boats shaped in the shape of a boat?

Marty

View attachment 11027

That looks pritty cool. Would defo try this place purely for it funky presentation.

letsallsingtogether

Going to try out the botanist tomorrow me and the wife are meeting friends for a meal in Cozy will probebly go there first for a drink.

If we can get past all the homeless and students.

Otis

Going to try out the botanist tomorrow me and the wife are meeting friends for a meal in Cozy will probebly go there first for a drink.

If we can get past all the homeless and students.
Do post your thoughts on here after.

Would love to know. Not heard a bad review yet from anyone I know who's gone.

Otis

You may also wish to book first perhaps.

I know we tried to get into Zizzi both last Friday and Saturday and it was fully booked both days until 10.15pm.

fernandopartridge

I think I've mentioned Americanisms on this thread previously, but I have to specifically point out how much I hate using 'bunch' as a collective noun for things that clearly cannot be bunched.

Users who are viewing this thread