Match Thread Coventry City - Crawley Town Match Thread - Saturday 25th Nov (3 Viewers)

eastwoodsdustman

It wouldn't be hard to have a timekeeper at every game like they do in some other sports. They could stop the clock at every whistle or ball going out of play easily enough. The alternative is for Refs to grow some balls and stamp down on it. How many times has a keeper been sent off for it? They'll take a booking safe in the knowledge that the ref won't send them off if they keep doing it. Its a real problem at home matches and teams time wasting in the first half, as we've seen already this season, is just ridiculous.

covcity4life

It wouldn't be hard to have a timekeeper at every game like they do in some other sports. They could stop the clock at every whistle or ball going out of play easily enough. The alternative is for Refs to grow some balls and stamp down on it. How many times has a keeper been sent off for it? They'll take a booking safe in the knowledge that the ref won't send them off if they keep doing it. Its a real problem at home matches and teams time wasting in the first half, as we've seen already this season, is just ridiculous.

well football video games do it so could easily be implemented

covcity4life

They dont call it cheating though its gamesmanship... cheating in my eyes

i dont see it as a problem until it takes piss and in that instance ref should punish players and add time on, rule changes are not needed, refs with backbone are

its also kinda similar to when holding ball in corner end of game 9/10 the ref is looking for any excuse to award the ball back to the team who are chasing a goal, this sort of stuff should be black and white and refs need to do better

Otis

I reckon on Saturday we lost at least 30-35 mins of actual match. Never seen anything like it.

eastwoodsdustman

I reckon on Saturday we lost at least 30-35 mins of actual match. Never seen anything like it.

The Physio coming on like he should have been a wheelchair user was the best one. There's taking the piss and then there's REALLY taking the piss. My only surprise was that it wasn't Mansfield and Steve Evans who thought it up first.

oucho

I think I read somewhere that in a typical game, the ball is only in play for about 60 minutes. So you probably lost even more than 30-35 mins on Sat.

Otis

I think I read somewhere that in a typical game, the ball is only in play for about 60 minutes. So you probably lost even more than 30-35 mins on Sat.
Yeah, had heard that, but couldn't remember the exact figure.

chiefdave

Should get the stopwatch out at a game and time it. I'd love it to be like other sports where the clock gets stopped and everyone can see the time left.

oucho

Should get the stopwatch out at a game and time it. I'd love it to be like other sports where the clock gets stopped and everyone can see the time left.

Game wouldn't finish til gone 5.30 on a Saturday, but yeah sure!

Otis

Game wouldn't finish til gone 5.30 on a Saturday, but yeah sure!
It would though I think. Wouldn't take long for it to all sink in and for them to realise that slowing the game down isn't working.

We'd soon have much shorter games again in no time at all.

chiefdave

It would though I think. Wouldn't take long for it to all sink in and for them to realise that slowing the game down isn't working.
That's it, once they know they can't time waste they won't bother.

You could even bring in similar to the play clock in the NFL or shot clock in the NBA. For example if the ball goes out for a throw you've got 15 seconds to take it or the other team gets the throw.

Otis

That's it, once they know they can't time waste they won't bother.

You could even bring in similar to the play clock in the NFL or shot clock in the NBA. For example if the ball goes out for a throw you've got 15 seconds to take it or the other team gets the throw.
Yep. I think it would make for a much better match experience.

How many thrilling end to end games do you get these days? Probably count about 3 or 4 in the last 3 or 4 years here! So many teams set up not to lose and to disrupt at every turn.

I watched the Huddersfield Man City game on Sunday on TV and Huddersfield went exactly the right way about it. They harried and hassled and worked hard and though they had very little possession, every time they did they tried to get forwards and attack and this is obviously against a far, far superior side.

On Saturday when Crawley did do that one attack to score they cut through us like butter.

Users who are viewing this thread