Match Thread Coventry City - Hull City Match Thread - Wednesday 24th Apr (7 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

I can understand the mentality when we're a team trying to survive or a team trying to snatch points and games .. but this mentality must swing slightly to achieve our ultimate goal, promotion
If it’s still conceding bucket loads of poor goals, it’s not doing what MR wants it to do anyway.

shmmeee

We've scored 68 in the league , we've drawn 8 games at home and won 9 , we've scored 34 goals in 21 home games which isn't great (scored 30 last season but could actually defend).. we've got to be A: better at home in general and B: Braver against teams and impose our game on them from the start of matches

Long story short , we've not been putting teams to the sword

I think a large part of that has been confidence and being in a comfortable shape.

We look a different side in a 4231, particularly with Sheaf and Sakamoto playing. In the 19 games between switching to it and Saka getting injured we won 10 and only lost 2 (Ipswich and Norwich both 2-1). We scored in every game bar there first against Stoke, scoring 3 four times and keeping 6 clean sheets.

Evo1883

I think a large part of that has been confidence and being in a comfortable shape.

We look a different side in a 4231, particularly with Sheaf and Sakamoto playing. In the 19 games between switching to it and Saka getting injured we won 10 and only lost 2 (Ipswich and Norwich both 2-1). We scored in every game bar there first against Stoke, scoring 3 four times and keeping 6 clean sheets.

We DID look a different side but we've reverted to type , conceding 21 goals in the last 13 games , we've opted to try and not concede again whilst conceding again all the time and are chasing games all the time too

We conceded 12 goals in the first 13 games after switching

Otis

I love Robins and I've spent the last 7 years praising him .. today I'm saying I think he got some things wrong this season and NEXT season he has to be braver and allow his team to go out and put teams to the sword
Evo, if you have watched Robins as manager for the last 7 years, you know he often plays things close to his chest

Quite often when players are injured, the first we know about it is when we see the next team sheet and the player or players are missing

If Robins says they are fatigued, they are fatigued. It's not a convenient excuse at all. Robins is nearly always brutally honest and quite to the point.

We have only just now found out that Lati has been carrying a knock.for a while. It's the sort of thing Robins DOES keep quiet on a lot of the time. It would explain Lati's poor form too.

We have no idea how many of those players from the semi final were playing with knocks, so I don't think you can use the Man U argument at all.

We have no idea what is going on behind the scenes and re treatment tables etc.

Players were fatigued and you can bet your life that some players were carrying knocks. We have just learned about one now in Lati.

Robins isn't going to broadcast the name of every player who is playing, but also carrying a knock.

I am not buying the Man U comparison at all I'm afraid to say.

Evo1883

Evo, if you have watched Robins as manager for the last 7 years, you know he often plays things close to his chest

Quite often when players are injured, the first we know about it is when we see the next team sheet and the player or players are missing

If Robins says they are fatigued, they are fatigued. It's not a convenient excuse at all. Robins is nearly always brutally honest and quite to the point.

We have only just now found out that Lati has been carrying a knock.for a while. It's the sort of thing Robins DOES keep quiet on a lot of the time. It would explain Lati's poor form too.

We have no idea how many of those players from the semi final were playing with knocks, so I don't think you can use the Man U argument at all.

We have no idea what is going on behind the scenes and re treatment tables etc.

Players were fatigued and you can bet your life that done players were carrying knocks. We have just learned about one now in Lati.

Robins isn't going to broadcast the name of every player who is playing, but also carrying a knock.

I am not buying the Man U comparison at all I'm afraid to say.

Sure it's your opinion , I just disagree somewhat.

I think fatigue is often too easily used to justify shit performances .

We've not been fatigued for 2 months have we ? We've lost 6 of the last 10 league games we are in poor form

A manager will say what he will say , fact is he's got plenty wrong in this run in

The man utd comparison is fine

Mark Robins isn't free of criticism

Otis

We've not been fatigued for 2 months have we ? We've lost 6 of the last 10 league games we are in poor form

A manager will say what he will say , fact is he's got plenty wrong in this run in

No, he isn't, but like I say, he's pretty brutally honest and doesn't make excuses very often at all. He says it as it is.

Can't remember which game it was, but very recently he DID say he set us up wrong. Was it Ipswich?

He's a very straight talking guy and says it how it is.

So if he says fatigued, then I have absolutely no reason to think he's telling lies.

The form seemed to go out of a window a lot once we lost Saka. We really struggled to fill that slot

You CAN lose form and then go on to be fatigued. We obviously haven't been fatigued for two months.

Small squad though and these things take their toll.

Evo1883

No, he isn't, but like I say, he's pretty brutally honest and doesn't make excuses very often at all. He says it as it is.

Can't remember which game it was, but very recently he DID say he set us up wrong. Was it Ipswich?

He's a very straight talking guy and says it how it is.

So if he says fatigued, then I have absolutely no reason to think he's telling lies.

The form seemed to go out of a window a lot once we lost Saka. We really struggled to fill that slot

You CAN lose form and then go on to be fatigued. We obviously haven't been fatigued for two months.

Small squad though and these things take their toll.

OK il put this another way

If we played Hull midweek and it was the last game of the season , just after that Wembley game , and we were 6th and hull 7th or vice verca, would Robins have started simms wright and van ewijk ?

Otis

If we played Hull midweek and it was the last game of the season , just after that Wembley game , and we were 6th and hull 7th or vice verca, would Robins have started simms wright and van ewijk ?
Yes, because it will have been the last game of the season.

Robins said on Wednesday before the game that he found it very difficult for him to put a team out against Hull

Do you think that wasn't true?

Evo1883

Yes, because it will have been the last game of the season.

Robins said on Wednesday before the game that he found it very difficult for him to put a team out against Hull

Do you think that wasn't true?

I think we've thrown the towel in and are looking forward to next season, if I'm honest

Otis

I think we've thrown the towel in and are looking forward to next season, if I'm honest
Okay. Obviously entitled to your opinion.👍

I feel that we have now, after the Hull game. Which is obviously a very obvious conclusion to come to.

We have to face facts that we have zero chance of now making the top 6.

I have no idea what sort of team Robins will put out tomorrow.

Hertsccfc

We have too small a squad so fatigue is inevitable.

Man United's players are used to the intensity of the Premier League every week. No matter what people say that league is faster and considerably more physical. Players are stronger and fitter. They are literally in a different league to us and we had to raise our game exceptionally to meet their level.

All the injuries show certain players have played far too much football. Most of them have not played for long at this level let alone at Man United's level.

Robins has tried to rotate the team to protect the players but unfortunately it hasn't been possible to do it enough to avoid injuries. The impact on our results is all down to the lack of action in the January transfer window.

I fear if we stick to this approach we will cease to be an attractive club to players, and even managers.

Evo1883

We have too small a squad so fatigue is inevitable.

Man United's players are used to the intensity if the Premier League every week. No matter what people say that league is faster and considerably more physical. Players are stronger and fitter. They are literally in a different league to us and we had to raise our game exceptionally to meet their level.

All the injuries show certain players have played far too much football. Most if them have not played for long at this level let alone at Man United's level.

Robins has tried to rotate the team to protect the players but unfortunately it hasn't been possible to do it enough to avoid injuries. The impact on our results us all down to the lack of action in the January transfer window.

I fear if we stick to this approach we will cease to be an attractive club to players, and even managers.

I agree , we must have a bigger squad next season, but with just 3 games left and then several weeks off , I want our best team on the pitch right now , like every other team fighting up the top

shmmeee

We DID look a different side but we've reverted to type , conceding 21 goals in the last 13 games , we've opted to try and not concede again whilst conceding again all the time and are chasing games all the time too

We conceded 12 goals in the first 13 games after switching

And 10 of those 13 we haven’t had Saka…

Which has meant Lati at RB for a chunk, which weakens our defence as well as hampering our attack.

Sick Boy

Allen has been so unlucky this season and next season he'll be fine as a squad player. Midfield is the last area we need depth.

As for the goalkeeper...
I’d like to someone else come in to replace Kelly but agree Allen would be fine as a squad player.

shmmeee

I’d like to someone else come in to replace Kelly but agree Allen would be fine as a squad player.

We need 25 players and having Lati, Tavares and Allen as the three extra beyond two for every position is fine IMO. Tav and Allen only have a year left anyway. Same reason I’d probably keep Wilson as a third too, another link back to previous squads that help squad harmony along with Bidwell and Eccles.

Sky Blue Pete

In the last 10 games we are 16th in the last 15 games we are 15th , are we actually sitting here and saying after game week 28 our team were fatigued and decided they could no longer play and get results ?

We've lost almost half of our last 15 games and fatigue is NOT the reason

Mental to suggest otherwise

Too cautious ,playing not to lose and get a goal on the break , too inconsistent with the team and bringing players in and out , persisting with shit players that are a detriment to the team ..
That's why our season fell away
Read this now
We’ve progressed on the back of being cautious it’s our raison d’tre if you like.
I wonder how much choice he has about players coming in and out
Presume you’re referring to Lati about shit players - bit unfair to me
Maybe the plan for mr is a 2-3 year one and you make different choices if your plan is a longer less short term plan
Only opinions though

MalcSB

Only for certain players and Palmer of course didn’t play at all last week.
Obviously correct about Palmer, but Robins will have had to take the fact that there three games in this week into consideration for his team selection for the second of the three. It will be even harder for Saturday given the additional injuries. Also, I’m a bit concerned that Lati has been playing with an injury. It’s what seemed to happen to Dabo last season and look where he is now.

Brighton Sky Blue

Obviously correct about Palmer, but Robins will have had to take the fact that they’re three games in this week into consideration for his team selection for the second of the three. It will be even harder for Saturday given the additional injuries. Also, I’m a bit concerned that Lati has been playing with an injury. It’s what seemed to happen to Dabo last season and look where he is now.
What happened to Dabo was the accumulation of multiple hip problems catching up with him.

skybluecam

You are saying some genuinely stupid things tbh

We knew to stand any chance of making the playoffs we had to win all 4 remaining. So it would've been no use running them into the ground on Wednesday just to get picked off by Blackburn Saturday or Ipswich next Tuesday. Milan looked a shadow of himself when he came on and both Wright and Simms tired after their initial impact.

Sky Blue Pete

You are saying some genuinely stupid things tbh

We knew to stand any chance of making the playoffs we had to win all 4 remaining. So it would've been no use running them into the ground on Wednesday just to get picked off by Blackburn Saturday or Ipswich next Tuesday. Milan looked a shadow of himself when he came on and both Wright and Simms tired after their initial impact.
Yep

Evo1883

No , my whole argument is based off us playing until the season finishes like every other team up the top , we had 4 games left we try and win 4 matches with our team .. we didn't, we threw the towel in and the season is now over .. it's been decent but the tail end has been shite

We played 30 extra minutes at Wembley than our normal 90 , fans are talking like we just made the lads run 2 London marathons 3 days before another game

Skybluecam hasn't made an argument at all , he seems happy to play weaker teams in a promotion race

This forum sounds like fucking Jurgen klopp every single matchday(tired , too many games blah blah ) it's shite

Sky Blue Pete

No , my whole argument is based off us playing until the season finishes like every other team up the top , we had 4 games left we try and win 4 matches with our team .. we didn't, we threw the towel in and the season is now over .. it's been decent but the tail end has been shite

Skybluecam hasn't made an argument at all
We can’t have done can we?
Why do you not accept that we have played our best team for each game?

Evo1883

We can’t have done can we?
Why do you not accept that we have played our best team for each game?

So are you saying sheaf and Thomas are fitter than wright simms and Milan ?

Why not play Milan, wright and simms first half to try and get the team ahead and then make defensive subs ???

Come on Pete , we just gave the season up full stop

skybluecam

We played 30 extra minutes at Wembley than our normal 90 , fans are talking like we just made the lads run 2 London marathons 3 days before another game

Skybluecam hasn't made an argument at all , he seems happy to play weaker teams in a promotion race

This forum sounds like fucking Jurgen klopp every single matchday(tired , too many games blah blah ) it's shite
:ROFLMAO:

I'll turn it round; can you give me one good reason why MR would deliberately throw away a chance at playoffs?

Evo1883

:ROFLMAO:

I'll turn it round; can you give me one good reason why MR would deliberately throw away a chance at playoffs?

Do you not think elite level athletes are capable of playing 210 minutes in 3 days ?? il say it again , man utd did

I think MR knows that it's a big ask to make the playoffs , and probably didn't want to risk injury to some of his better players .

Wether or not that's a good enough reason to not risk it and give everything until the end , that's another question , I personally don't think we've given midweek a proper go , sorry

And as I've stated we've been getting the tired excuses for weeks now and frankly it's a cop out

Our wallets should become tired when it comes to travelling hundreds of miles to watch them put half a shift in 🤷

Last edited:

skybluecam

Do you not think elite level athletes are capable of playing 210 minutes in 3 days ??
Capable of playing? Of course

Capable of playing to a better level than opposing elite level athletes who haven't had to play 210 mins in 3 days? No

You're trying to argue against facts of human biology here. Was it not obvious to you on Wednesday that Sheaf was done after 70 mins, Eccles similar or that Milan wasn't anywhere near his usual level? Or do you not think they were trying hard enough? Imagine if half the team had been like that, Hull might have put 2 or 3 more past us in that last 20 mins.

We're all frustrated how this week has gone but I think your blame is misplaced.

Evo1883

Capable of playing? Of course

Capable of playing to a better level than opposing elite level athletes who haven't had to play 210 mins in 3 days? No

You're trying to argue against facts of human biology here. Was it not obvious to you on Wednesday that Sheaf was done after 70 mins, Eccles similar or that Milan wasn't anywhere near his usual level? Or do you not think they were trying hard enough? Imagine if half the team had been like that, Hull might have put 2 or 3 more past us in that last 20 mins.

We're all frustrated how this week has gone but I think your blame is misplaced.
I can tolerate your nonsense , but if you are actually going to start saying I'm arguing against human biology by asking players to play 3 games in 7/8 days then this conversation won't go anywhere .

Hull had the extra day off and 30 minutes more rest

We had a day off at Birmingham away too

Absolute Jurgen klopp esc shite

Users who are viewing this thread