Match Thread Coventry City - Maidstone United [FA] Match Thread - Monday 26th Feb (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

Think if we were in a deep relegation scrap people would still say cup is more important. Weird.
It was the case years ago, e.g. 1997 we played Derby in the fifth round and lost 3-2. It was definitely seen as a bigger game than the games either side of it even though we were in a relegation scrap. That's the mad thing about football, you can compete in multiple competitions and don't actually need to prioritise one over the other.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

pusbccfc

Club expecting a 'Bumper Crowd'.

shepardo01

We certainly won’t be talking about the Friday away game after 37 days after let alone 37 years.
Well, we could.
After Friday, we could be talking about an embarrassment of epic proportions. One that sticks in the memory, for years!
Or the other way round - barnstorming victory, coming back from Friday's season ending defeat!....
I know which one is looking more likely at the moment!🤣🤣🤣

ProfessorbyGrace

It was the case years ago, e.g. 1997 we played Derby in the fifth round and lost 3-2. It was definitely seen as a bigger game than the games either side of it even though we were in a relegation scrap. That's the mad thing about football, you can compete in multiple competitions and don't actually need to prioritise one over the other.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
That was my first actual away match, at age 16. The only thing I remember was Huckerby’s goal, and the ref giving Derby everything till they went ahead. Danson, I think his name was. What a crap hole the Baseball Ground was, as well.

As for tomorrow against the mighty Maidstone - this is one that a Mark Robins team should not falter on, really.

I would seriously consider resting MVE and O’Hare, and giving Lati a go at RB. Play Palmer in AMF, and get Tavares and Wright either side of Simms in attack.

Really don’t fancy Godden, even against Maidstone, to be honest.

fatso

It was one off (he says, fingers crossed). We've had them before haven't we and we have bounced back from them before. I am not too disheartened.

When you look back, we gave a goal within one minute and then absolutely gifted them a second.

After that, we left ourselves with a monumental task, then lost Saka and that against a side who have a hoodoo over us.

We will be fine tomorrow. Convinced we will win. Utterly convinced. I just would like a good performance to go with it and not have it be a scrappy affair where we just get over the line.
Yea agreed, Definitely expect us to see Maidstone off, I expect Tavares to come in for Sakamoto, but I think the playoffs will be a tough task now, not because of Fridays result, but due to the injuries to key players and the lack of real depth in the squad.

Bad Boy

That was my first actual away match, at age 16. The only thing I remember was Huckerby’s goal, and the ref giving Derby everything till they went ahead. Danson, I think his name was. What a crap hole the Baseball Ground was, as well.

As for tomorrow against the mighty Maidstone - this is one that a Mark Robins team should not falter on, really.

I would seriously consider resting MVE and O’Hare, and giving Lati a go at RB. Play Palmer in AMF, and get Tavares and Wright either side of Simms in attack.

Really don’t fancy Godden, even against Maidstone, to be honest.
I wouldn't rest anyone, they all need to get that Friday night shitshow out of their systems, we need to put out our strongest team against Maidstone for sure.
It time MR and his gang started showing cup competitions, especially the FA cup, the respect it's earned.

covcity4life

If win on Monday it keeps the season super interesting for another 2-3 weeks guaranteed regardless of if league form collapses.

If we lose Friday we're not quite out of it yet.

If I could choose a win in only one it would be Monday. But that's cos I want us to achieve both winning fa cup and winning promotion and if had to lose one to keep both objectives alive it's the wba game.

Captain_Slackbladder

With Sakamoto out and Allen still not available, Palmer should move back into the middle in my opinion and give a good run to Tavares out on that left hand side.

I know people say Palmer out wide would be better than Tavares, but honestly I think Palmer plays much better down the middle and having him out wide leaves us a bit empty in that attacking mid role if O'Hare doesn't play.

Think we should go with something like;
Lati - Kitching - Binks - Bidwell
Kelly - Eccles/Torp
Tavares - Palmer - Wright
Simms

If we get ahead early on we can swap out for fitness reasons. Really don't think it's worth the risk in playing too weak a team to start and then throw the first team on if we aren't doing too well. Get it done early.
That confident we don't even bother with a keeper?

Jonny

1708883905420.png

Here's what I'm going for. Subs can be made as and when required, but I think we should have enough with the starting XI to afford to be able to throw the likes of Ambursley, Andrews and Di Trolio on.

blunted

Think our injuries have caught up with us regarding promotion, (with the proviso that I am always wrong). The 11 playing must be 100% fit. We cannot risk losing further players to injury (see Torp). Best 11 we can field, as I expect us to lose to West Brom (see above proviso).

Ian1779

I wouldn’t start Torp - let Eccles and Latibeaudiere/Kelly do the running in the first 60 with their midfield which will be up for it. Bring him on last 30 if we need to.

Johhny Blue

It’s getting a bit of topic , but just IF we got to the prem , how would people take some of the inevitable defeats ….. going off the Preston game ……. Very badly
I went through all the first division and prem years and we became so used to being there that the inevitable relegation was a disaster
but I really enjoy the excitement of the tight championship games (not so much the last one) and the playoff dissapointment only lasted a few hours. Of course I’d love to get back to the prem but be careful what you wish for.

napolimp

Think our injuries have caught up with us regarding promotion, (with the proviso that I am always wrong). The 11 playing must be 100% fit. We cannot risk losing further players to injury (see Torp). Best 11 we can field, as I expect us to lose to West Brom (see above proviso).

I think, as you say, if those front 6 can remain fit over the next 4 league matches (3 if we win tomorrow) - Eccles, Torp, O'hare, Palmer, Wright, Simms - then we've got a chance. Gives us the opportunity to ease Sheaf and Allen back in.

napolimp

Apologies if anyone else has posted anything similar.
When Maidstone come out onto the pitch tomorrow night it would be great if the SBA could stand and applaud their remarkable achievement
Their manager George Elokobi is truly an inspiration.
If I was MR I would offer to mentor him ( assuming we win of course)!!!

Fans tend to applaud when teams walk out the tunnel. Are Maidstone planning on walking out separately?

shmmeee

When Maidstone come out onto the pitch tomorrow night it would be great if the SBA could stand and applaud their remarkable achievement

Are you taking the piss?

Matt smith

No. We’ve got a game to win

Let’s help their little fairytale gets ended convincingly live on tele

Last edited:

Matt smith

If we win this and get a Liverpool say are they gonna stand and applaud our achievement

lunacy

Users who are viewing this thread