Coventry City, my story. (1 Viewer)

I'm 45 years old and have just under 40 years of following City under my belt. My first visit was a 3-1 win over Derby '77ish. My mum took me, we walked up from Radford, it was incredible the ground seemed massive the smoke filled air in the bar in the West Stand, the laughing and shouting the buzz was tremendous, if a 9 year old can fall in love it happened that day, thanks Mum. Fast forward a few years Bobby Gould takes over for the first time and his love and enthusiasm for Cov is infectious. He builds a team from nothing a group of us from school start going regularly, Man U and Liverpool "fans" included who now see the light and are converted. The cup year, after winning at Old Trafford it became law we wore the same clothes to each round as if we didn't we know we'd be the one who jinxed it, leading to the second best day of my life. Best day of my life, my son is born day 2 of his life a Sky Blue Sam is purchased for him, he never stood a chance! My sons first game at Highfield Road was Gordon Strachans last and my son is also hooked, lucky to have been to our home but never to really witness it rocking like the old place could but he had a few seasons there before we moved. The Ricoh years have been mostly disappointing with some highlights thrown in for me and my boy. From away days at Barnsley and Yeovil in the league to glory nights and days at Old Trafford and Ewood Park me and my boy have done our time. He's never really seen the good times and I feel he probably never will. Will I be able in the future to watch the City in Coventry with my son and his future off spring? That I truly doubt. Am I being a bit melodramatic here? Possibly, but this move is wrong we have a dwindling fan base as it is and to lose a possible generation of fans is not right. We all remember that first glimpse of the pitch be it Highfield Road or The Ricoh, the Sky Blue seats sometimes filling up, the genuine joy of your first visit, will that be the same at our new home? Not a chance how can you take your son/daughter grandchild to their first "home" game 30 odd miles away? You can't. I'm sure my brief story will ring similar to so many on here but Coventry City have been a major part of my life and it just feels like the final blow that they're being taken away from me. I love away days, but not for home games sorry this hurts so much but for the first time since I was serving abroad in the army I will not see our first home game of the season. Hurry home soon PUSB.

saltaire bantam

Sad to read that.

Bradford Park Avenue left it about a decade, their support mainly went to Huddersfield, a few to Halifax (none to City). They have done very well and are only 2 promotions away from L2 but.................their support never went back, what they have is hard core group of bitter pensioners, the club will die (as a decent outfit) as they do. You are right, you can't let fans get out of the habit of attending.

Users who are viewing this thread