Match Thread Coventry City - Preston North End FC Match Thread - Friday 23rd Feb (5 Viewers)

Sick Boy

Something not quite right with our messiah, post match loads of negatives connected to how many games we are playing, with the exception of the Cup, which he probably does not want us to be in, all teams in the EFL will play 46 games! His comment about not having a number 1 keeper, equally strange, Collins is a better keeper than both Moore and Wilson. Cannot imagine Collins was pleased about being dropped. Is he still fed up cos we did not sign more players in January? Something not right, too many negatives, thankfully at this stage not on the pitch. Think it is Robins that needs a break not the players.
I get the impression he’s far from impressed with the activity in January, especially the loan back.

MikeyMoo

We've been picking up points without playing well which takes the edge off, but we've had a run of injuries, some of which were deliberately inflicted, and we've got a heavy run of games. So this is an obvious source of frustration. No need to read any more into it than this.

Sick Boy

Potentially you are right, but I have no idea why. Robins has been great for us but his blind spot has always been his ability to secure a really decent goalkeeper.
I get the impression he prefers to invest more in outfield players rather than it being a blind spot. That being said, I’d like us to sign a keeper good enough to be number one for years to come.

SkyblueTexan

Need to break our hoodoo against these at some point and now would be great. Draw wouldn’t help and we have to go for the win. Hope players are adequately rested. Hope to see Saka back and Torp is available. Need to pick the strongest team available. Please no experimentation with Wilson in goal.

fernandopartridge

I get the impression he prefers to invest more in outfield players rather than it being a blind spot. That being said, I’d like us to sign a keeper good enough to be number one for years to come.
It's pragmatism really, though I don't think he's much different from most outside of the very top teams, the priority is always outfield

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Adge

Think it’s time to put this Hoodoo against PNE to bed. Any victory such as yesterday’s will do. Think we are going to see the same sort of performances now and again between now and the end of the season where fatigue kicks in but hopefully we still bumble along picking up the points.

Bad Boy

Think it’s time to put this Hoodoo against PNE to bed. Any victory such as yesterday’s will do. Think we are going to see the same sort of performances now and again between now and the end of the season where fatigue kicks in but hopefully we still bumble along picking up the points.
Definitely, it's pay back time for the years of beatings, welcome to the Sky Blue Pleasuredome, they're long overdue a spanking.

Great_Expectations

Big, big game with direct play off implications, so strongest team needed.

DaSilva v Bidwell is the big decision point for me, especially as they are likely to be up against a good attacking threat in Miller. I prefer when we play on the front foot and we look better when we play football, which therefore means JDS starts.

Wilson
MVE Thomas Binks JDS
Eccles Torp
Sakamoto COH Wright
Simms

The above assumes Sakamoto and Torp are both fit, if not then I’d go Taveres and Lati. Both are obvious drops offs in terms of attacking attributes but I prefer Taveres than seeing Simms shifted out wide.

Gint11

We were too good to get pumped 5-0 by Stoke too.

Whilst these results can come along as it did you refer to, were different. We are giving soft goals away but generally, there’s a steel about us. We can lose to Preston on Friday but it will be the odd goal, not a 0-4 IMO

SkyblueTexan

Preston thrive off set pieces. So we've got to limit them to as few corners and free kicks as possible. They are are vulnerable at the back and have a lousy GD. Quite a few on their forum are predicting a loss against us. We have to try to win this.

Astute

In the last interview Robins did he actually said having a large squad of 30 players can be a help but also a hindrance. That's not him saying he is pissed off we have a small squad compared to some others.

We've gone for quality over quantity. Would he have said no to getting what has been a target of his if he couldn't have him immediately? Who has been choosing the players to come in. Robins or King?

Sick Boy

Big, big game with direct play off implications, so strongest team needed.

DaSilva v Bidwell is the big decision point for me, especially as they are likely to be up against a good attacking threat in Miller. I prefer when we play on the front foot and we look better when we play football, which therefore means JDS starts.

Wilson
MVE Thomas Binks JDS
Eccles Torp
Sakamoto COH Wright
Simms

The above assumes Sakamoto and Torp are both fit, if not then I’d go Taveres and Lati. Both are obvious drops offs in terms of attacking attributes but I prefer Taveres than seeing Simms shifted out wide.
I’d go with this but have Collins in goal.

shepardo01

Think the key to getting anything out of this game is having a fit Victor Torp starting.
With Sheaf and Allen out, we are again looking a little thin in that area.

SBbucks

6 days rest now, everyone should be raring to go for this one (assuming Torp is fit). Be interesting to see what team he goes with here, can you change the back 5 after keeping our first clean sheet in 12?

I think Torp being fit is a huge assumption. The way he pulled up didn’t look good, I doubt we’ll see him Friday.

Gibbo

1. Uppermost in Preston's mind will be not losing, because if they do they will be 5 pts adrift of 6th.
2. No Sheaf no Torp (I assume) means City will lack that bit of creativity
3. Therefore a tough, scrappy game with many howls of frustration on here.
4. As keepers don't really need rotation and Kitching has only just come back from suspension I assume that Collins and him were dropped rather than rotated.
5. Drop Wright not because of his poor show at Stoke but more to ensure we have the most solid defence. He will come on as a sub.

So 4-3-2-1

Wilson / Collins (not that bothered, can't see that much difference)

MVE
Thomas
Binks / Kitching (whichever Robins wants)
Bidwell

Eccles
Lati
Da Silva

Saka
O'Hare

Simms

Tough drab game 1-0 to us

Gibbo

Potentially you are right, but I have no idea why. Robins has been great for us but his blind spot has always been his ability to secure a really decent goalkeeper.
I was thinking about this. O'Brien was pants from the start. Burge, whom he inherited was ok for L2, but not L1. Marosi ok for L1 but not Championship. Moore is not up to snuff. Wilson was protected by one of the best back three's in the history of the Club. Collins is a marginal upgrade on Wilson at best

IIRC we had David Stockdale for a couple of games because of injuries (or am I imagining that?) and he was exactly the type of keeper we need, above all a big bloke who commanded the area. Do Bill Glazier's grandchildren keep goal?

Users who are viewing this thread