Match Thread Coventry City - Sheffield Wednesday [FA] Match Thread - Tuesday 6th Feb (6 Viewers)

Otis

If they are playing Friday and just got hammered have to believe they rest players Vs us?
Be a bit daft not to you would have thought.

Their priority has to be the league and to not rest players when they have had a game on Saturday, then play Tuesday and then play again on Friday, would be a bit bonkers for sure.

I would think it would have to be a slightly weakened team for the cup replay.

covcity4life

Their priority has to be the league and to not rest players when they have had a game on Saturday, then play Tuesday and then play again on Friday, would be a bit bonkers for sure.

I want to win the fa cup. Every little helps

Essexrobbie

Sakamoto and Eccles have both looked tired haven't they?

Maybe better from the bench. Perhaps play Allen and Kelly.
Im not supprised they get tired, they come out 45 minutes before the start and sprint around like their lives depended on it running around little markers. When we used to play we'd come out 5 minutes before kick off, bang one or two balls about, put our ciggys out and play for the full 90, because we hadn't got any subs. I did that Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning in midfield for twenty years and never pulled a muscle once.

Mucca Mad Boys

We don’t need to panic too much following the Norwich result.

My team would be:
Collins
Lati
Thomas
Binks
JDS
Torp
Kelly
Palmer
Allen
Wright
Simms

MVE, Eccles, COH and Sakamoto to get some well needed rest. Torp, Kelly and Wright to get some match fitness back. Otherwise, it’s a strong side.

slowpoke

The game for a test is Maidstone,
We don’t need to panic too much following the Norwich result.

My team would be:
Collins
Lati
Thomas
Binks
JDS
Torp
Kelly
Palmer
Allen
Wright
Simms

MVE, Eccles, COH and Sakamoto to get some well needed rest. Torp, Kelly and Wright to get some match fitness back. Otherwise, it’s a strong side.
No Eccles ?? We need him to play alongside Torp as much as possible to develop an understanding and partnership, especially with Sheaf side lined for a few weeks what better than cup-tie.

Mucca Mad Boys

No Eccles ?? We need him to play alongside Torp as much as possible to develop an understanding and partnership, especially with Sheaf side lined for a few weeks what better than cup-tie.

Eccles needs a rest. We have 3 games in 7 days between the 11-17th Feb and another injury in midfield would be bad!

With that in mind, I’d want to get Torp and Kelly up to spend whilst resting a starter for a big week ahead.

OldBedrocker

Got to start strong and put game to bed early. I wouldn’t have Kelly anywhere near the starting 11. Torp and Eccles in the middle and Allen to come on.

slowpoke

Eccles needs a rest. We have 3 games in 7 days between the 11-17th Feb and another injury in midfield would be bad!

With that in mind, I’d want to get Torp and Kelly up to spend whilst resting a starter for a big week ahead.
Sorry admittedly I’m a bit old school and don’t go for this modern day “needs a rest” I remember Liverpool winning the league, league cup, European Cup and lose in the FA cup final using just 15 players all season, including our own Oggy and a lot of those players were internationals too.

Balli001

Let's think positively its only 6 weeks. He would miss 8, maybe 7 league games. Whilst not ideal it's not the end of the world.

Viktor17

Let's think positively its only 6 weeks. He would miss 8, maybe 7 league games. Whilst not ideal it's not the end of the world.
Sheaf has history of returning quickly.

agree those league games also primarily against teams I would expect us to test/beat without sheaf.

mid March onwards/into April real business time.

skyblue_55

Eccles has to start , as he looked good & added a bit of experience , late on yesterday & possibly alongside Torp & Lats , for a bit of grit in there , we have to start well .
It looks like the owls fans will bring 2000 down & they don’t travel with any expectation of getting through to the next round , after another heavy defeat yesterday, so let’s get stuck into them , from the first whistle & we hopefully will see them crumble . 4 - 0 Skyblues

Otis

Eccles has to start , as he looked good & added a bit of experience , late on yesterday & possibly alongside Torp & Lats , for a bit of grit in there , we have to start well .
It looks like the owls fans will bring 2000 down & they don’t travel with any expectation of getting through to the next round , after another heavy defeat yesterday, so let’s get stuck into them , from the first whistle & we hopefully will see them crumble . 4 - 0 Skyblues
I'm not sure Sheff Weds are going to lose 4 nil twice in a row.

Think it will be tighter than that.

Warwickhunt

Eccles us doing well! Got to get his mindset to look forward and find the path to midfielders in front and perhaps the strikers now and again. He's a confidence player and those around him need to encourage

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

All this talk about young professional footballers needing a rest, crazy just crazy.

Can't handle 2 games a week, get another job. 😲

Ashdown

Really important to win this. Firstly to put it up any Wednesday fans who sympathised with the racists amongst them but more importantly because I think it’s a ticket to the Quarter Final and surely a big match pay out and a chance of pulling off an upset. Full strength please MR.

Otis

All this talk about young professional footballers needing a rest, crazy just crazy.

Can't handle 2 games a week, get another job. 😲
Yup, I know. Not like it was in your days, eh, Covkids.

You used to play a game in the morning, then do a 12 hour shift down the pit, before then playing another game and then doing a night shift turning out tank engines.

1 hour's kip and then straight back at it again the next day.

Hertsccfc

You used to play a game in the morning, then do a 12 hour shift down the pit, before then playing another game and then doing a night shift turning out tank engines.

Yeah just play them until they get injured I say, and even when they are injured, they should carry on anyway. Sheaf not showing sufficient commitment yesterday. Why should a pulled hamstring stop him from playing. Crazy just crazy.

ccfc1234

The fans on here saying rest players confuse me. There are no guarantees with the lottery of the playoffs, if we make them. What is certain however is if we beat a team with a poor away record we play a non league team for a place in the last 8 of the Cup and are 1 win away from a HUGE pay day at Wembley and having a cup run that earns the club really significant money.
We are no doubt will also be looking to foreign markets again in the summer and enhancing our reputation as an upwardly mobile club, with a good cup run would be helpful.

I want to beat Plymouth and Stoke away too but I really don't think a few extra games vs Wendnesday and Maidstone etc are going to be the reason we do or don't manage to win those games.

Macca

I really don't know, it feels like a few of our players are running out of steam and desperate for a rest, but having seen what our second string was like last week then I don't think we can afford to huge changes like that if we want to progress.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

But won’t they just run out of steam again after the rest? Far more chance of a big occasion in cup then league imo

Macca

The fans on here saying rest players confuse me. There are no guarantees with the lottery of the playoffs, if we make them. What is certain however is if we beat a team with a poor away record we play a non league team for a place in the last 8 of the Cup and are 1 win away from a HUGE pay day at Wembley and having a cup run that earns the club really significant money.
We are no doubt will also be looking to foreign markets again in the summer and enhancing our reputation as an upwardly mobile club, with a good cup run would be helpful.

I want to beat Plymouth and Stoke away too but I really don't think a few extra games vs Wendnesday and Maidstone etc are going to be the reason we do or don't manage to win those games.

Totally agree

Sky Blue Harry H

Im not supprised they get tired, they come out 45 minutes before the start and sprint around like their lives depended on it running around little markers. When we used to play we'd come out 5 minutes before kick off, bang one or two balls about, put our ciggys out and play for the full 90, because we hadn't got any subs. I did that Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning in midfield for twenty years and never pulled a muscle once.
Yeah - I found an old photo ;)

1707070454597.png

fatso

Wednesday have a massive relegation match against Brum on Friday, so I'd expect them to rest plenty of their first team on Tuesday.

I think we can afford to start Desilva at LB, Kelly or Lats in midfield and dare I say it Tavares may well get a run out.

steve101

We are likely to need Kelly and Tavares in the weeks ahead so I would be looking to start both and get 60 minutes out of them. Maybe get Torp up to the 75 minute mark. Have a couple of youngers on the bench - maybe Stretton for one.

Alkhen

Full strength for me, massive opportunity to reach the quarters and a draw against a real giant.

Also don't want to hand Sheffield Wednesday any advantage considering how they have acted. Resting for 2 games isn't really going to make that much difference in the grand scheme of things.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Haha Otis.

But seriously, even when Mark Robins rest the players, the very next game they seem very sluggish and underperforming.

Also, Chopping and changing upset the rhythm of the team. Imop. 🤔

Users who are viewing this thread