Match Thread Coventry City - Southampton Match Thread - Wednesday 13th Dec (1 Viewer)

procdoc

How anybody can say Eccles was ‘excellent’ or ‘outstanding’ tonight is beyond me!

He was ok, but as has been said on here earlier the only thing I can remember him doing is hitting the first man from an awful corner.

He’s ok, maybe just above average, and coming on with only a handful of minutes to go gives him the edge and will make him look better because he’s fresher - bear in mind he also didn’t have 90 minutes against Blues.

He doesn’t stand out, he’s nothing special and we need better if we’re serious about getting promoted, end of.

Nothing against the lad, he’s ok and can do a job, and he’s a good option from the bench but he isn’t going to be playing for a top six (or any position to be fair) premier league team any time soon!
Apart from when he played for a top 6 team last season

lewys33

Can we talk about how shit the Southampton song selection is? I’d be embarrassed if I were them singing that Portsmouth song as well, would be like Villa singing about us. And the God awful when the saints every five fucking minutes (when they’re not losing).

was literally going to say the same thing. That saints song is horrendous, do they think it’s something special singing it so slow … makes me want to vomit every time they started (about 17/20 times they actually sang).

NorthernWisdom

Not seen enough games with him as a starter but based on tonight for me a poor Simms offers us more in this formation than godden still

That sounds harsher on godden than is intended. I just thought Simms physicality keeps defences on their toes even when he's not on form
That's fair, I think.

Nothing about bandwagons or anything though, but I did think he was poor, first half in particular. Touch was awful.

One giant leap for mankind suggested get him in the box on the end of crosses though!

Offhegoes

Russell Martin, what a pr*ck. Running over to the away fans prior to kick off., and then spending the match berating the officials. Glad we don't play like Soton. Passing it to death, but creating very little. We stuck to it last night,, but O'Hare & Sakamoto were not at the levels from Friday, as to be expected. Robins left the subs too late again, as you could see the difference Palmer, Eccles and Dasilva made when they came on. Thought Simms held the ball up well, and Wright much improved.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Could anyone from the safety committee or someone ITK please come on and explain why stewards were trying to block the second set of steps and diverting everyone using them to the ramp.The ones trying to block them did not give a reason.
It certainly wasn't a traffic issue because on reaching the entry R/O the left hand turn was blocked by a cop car so no one could turn down towards Curry's.

Skyblueweeman

Its not a football thing, having lived for years in Portsmouth the two cities hate each other, well certain sections of both cities. Apparently all stems back to strike breaking except it appears to be a myth and never actually happened.

Having worked in both cities for a number of years, I can also add that Southampton seem to hate Pompey more than Pompey hates Southampton.

Although Pompey has it's shady areas (like everywhere really), it's a much nicer city than Southampton. And Southampton folk are just weird.

David O'Day

Southampton, for a pure value of team to quality of performance ratio are seriously under performing

Johnnythespider

Having worked in both cities for a number of years, I can also add that Southampton seem to hate Pompey more than Pompey hates Southampton.

Although Pompey has it's shady areas (like everywhere really), it's a much nicer city than Southampton. And Southampton folk are just weird.
They hate drums as well, just weird

curly_tom

It felt disappointing not to win after being a goal up but 1-1 is a good result against a good team. So many of their players have played Premier League football. Because we pushed for the winner late on it felt as if we missed out but they missed a few chances too and could easily have scored a couple. I find them tedious to watch, that endless sideways passing is always described as 'easy on the eye' but I don't really see why, it's just dull. I much prefer a team to get forward quickly when they get the ball which we have been doing since the formation change. Early this season we were holding onto the ball for ages and passing it back to the centre backs, glad to see we've changed. Onwards and upwards....

Hertsccfc

After our nice move for O'Hare's shot that hit the bar, the Southampton co commentator said "it's not pretty football but it is effective". I disagree with this analysis, I think fast one and two touch direct football is exhilarating and far better than 100 passes gaining 20 yards.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
I agree. It was a fantastic passage of play. They had long periods of possession when they achieved nothing.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Just seen our goal again. Didn't appreciate Simms' movement off the ball to drag a defender away to the right just as OHare played the ball in to Wright. Opened up a lot of room .

Last edited:

skyblue_55

Did anyone notice that when Eccles took over the corner duties, it was back to normal, as he couldn’t beat the first man ?

David O'Day

After our nice move for O'Hare's shot that hit the bar, the Southampton co commentator said "it's not pretty football but it is effective". I disagree with this analysis, I think fast one and two touch direct football is exhilarating and far better than 100 passes gaining 20 yards.

they do think they are prime era barca when they are a dull team underperforming their players ability

shmmeee

I thought Southamptons corners were shit but interesting they took them all short I think

Ashdown

Those commentators got right on my tits.

shmmeee

What a prick. Fuck all pretty about triangles between your CBs and GK

Sick Boy

Decent result. Defended so well. Disciplined press. Shame sheaf let us down with an error. One of many. But we were a match for them and wright scored. Good result

We are a decent solid team. And sometimes decent solid teams make the playoffs and get promoted.

Pusb
A few more astute signings and next season could be the one.

Happy_Martian

What interested me about their corner's was why their number 3 kept stroking the flag, OCD me maybe

Wasn't that Ryan Manning ? Who we were keen on preseason ? Maybe he's showing he still likes the Sky Blues and is waiting for us to get rid of Bidwell. Which based on Jake's performances this season, ain't happening any time soon :ROFLMAO:

slowpoke

A few more astute signings and next season could be the one.
We are gaining form about the same time as last year not sure how many points we had this tie last season and we had that flop in form after the World Cup break.
Using the old football cliche of take each game as it comes and assuming we improve our squad January I see no reason we can’t emulate last season & make top six again this season only 7 points off play-off spots at the moment.

shepardo01

We are gaining form about the same time as last year not sure how many points we had and we had that flop in form after the World Cup break.
Using the old football cliche of take each game as it comes and assuming we improve our squad January I see no reason we can’t emulate last season & make top six again this season only 7 points off play-off spots at the moment.
Our run started last season after the West Brom game on the 3rd Feb. (Not sure what game number due to WC)
After that game we lost only once in 18 (home to stoke) the Luton game (which incidentally we didn't lose) was us ending the season losing 1 of the 20 games from West Brom away.
Also, we spent only 6 days (I believe ) inside the top six!

slowpoke

Bloody hell, there’s always a chance “Stoke” game when unexpected, they could have been 6 up by half-time.

Evo1883

Have found many of the Southampton fans on social media to be quite arrogant tbh , especially for a nothing club that's won nothing more than us .. crowing about the ground being too big for us when we're averaging 24000 after 20 years of premier league exile , whilst they average 29 000 having just come down .

And we're averaging more away , weirdos

Users who are viewing this thread