Match Thread Coventry City vs Middlesbrough Play off Semi final 1st leg Match Thread -Sunday 14th May (3 Viewers)

jordan210

Im Ready Lets Go GIF by Travis

Discuss the match, tactics and predictions.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Promised my dad I’ll watch it with him , he has dementia and recently had a pacemaker fitted . His short term memory is shocking but can talk about watching city through the 60s , 70s . 80s and 90s like they were yesterday
He ran pubs in Coventry for years and ran 4 coaches to Hillsborugh and Wembley in 87 Had a season ticket for years He told me once that there were only 2 players he was genuinely excited to see get the ball Tommy Hutchinson and Darren Huckerby

Just hope the lads can get a result Sunday

Blind-Faith

Same team for me, with the options of Allen and Sheaf on the bench for later on in the game. Having Kelly and Eccles in gives Hamer the freedom to go and do what he did today. It’s working great atm

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I'm one of the older farts on here (70) and well remember us getting promotion to the old First Division under Saint Jimmy Hill, and today I felt exactly the same as I did back then. Cried my bloody eyes out in happiness. Even if we stumble and fail, (which we won't!), I have felt immense pride in the team, manager, fans and the club as a whole. At the age I am, I'd given up hope of seeing the club back in the top flight again. I genuinely believe this is our year. PUSB!!!!

Greggs

I'm one of the older farts on here (70) and well remember us getting promotion to the old First Division under Saint Jimmy Hill, and today I felt exactly the same as I did back then. Cried my bloody eyes out in happiness. Even if we stumble and fail, (which we won't!), I have felt immense pride in the team, manager, fans and the club as a whole. At the age I am, I'd given up hope of seeing the club back in the top flight again. I genuinely believe this is our year. PUSB!!!!
same as my old man, seen the club through it all. fair play to you mAATE

Boosh

Not a Liverpool fan anymore then?

slowpoke

This was the must win game not bothered a jot about Middlesbrough in either game, Cov v Sunderland at Wembley is in the stars, ramming their 45 year old Jimmy Hill hatred right down their throats.

slowpoke

Sheaf for Eccles and Allen for Godden. Think we got overrun in midfield today after we scored. Feels harsh on Eccles but Sheaf is so essential to how we play. Still not convinced by Godden & Vik together.
This was a difficult game, we pretty well by passed midfield lots of long ball from the back. We should have scored two more goals in the first 20 minutes.
They will see a different Cov next week.

clint van damme

This was a difficult game, we pretty well by passed midfield lots of long ball from the back. We should have scored two more goals in the first 20 minutes.
They will see a different Cov next week.

And we'll see a different Boro!
I know it's a lot to ask but I really want a 2 goal lead minimum to take to the riverside

SleepyGinger

Want Sheaf to come back in if he’s ready but not sure who comes out, I’m sure MR will make the correct decisions

Evo1883

Haha .. well I've said all along if coventry make the playoffs We will win them .

So I'm not backing down ... we will take a 1 goal lead to boro ..1-0 or 2-1

shmmeee

Two up at home for me. Assuming fitness I’d go Sheaf Hamer and Allen in the middle, though Kelly does allow Hamer to get forwards with great effect. Think we missed Sheaf in the middle today. I’d also think long and hard about BNC at RWB as I didn’t think he was great today.

Then for the second leg go back to 3421 with Allen and Hamer ahead of Sheaf and Kelly/Eccles. Who knows maybe Palmer will be back by then too.

Reactions: AOM

Gynnsthetonic

Two up at home for me. Assuming fitness I’d go Sheaf Hamer and Allen in the middle, though Kelly does allow Hamer to get forwards with great effect. Think we missed Sheaf in the middle today. I’d also think long and hard about BNC at RWB as I didn’t think he was great today.

Then for the second leg go back to 3421 with Allen and Hamer ahead of Sheaf and Kelly/Eccles. Who knows maybe Palmer will be back by then too.
Something tells me I'm into something good 3421😄

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Not a Liverpool fan anymore then?
Of course. Where in the rules does it say I can't enjoy two teams? I also have an affinity to Southampton FC because it was a local team to me when I lived on the Isle of Wight for 8 years. I also like to follow little Malvern Town who are having a great season, because I now live here.
Any more moans and gripes?

SeaSeeEffCee

Hard to know what to take from today’s game. Outside of the euphoria of making it into the play-offs and the good point on the road I actually thought we were pretty poor in the second half. I don’t know if it was nerves from us, whether they just kicked it up a notch or maybe a combination of the two but we were really struggling to keep hold of the ball for most of that second 45. So many sloppy bit of play under little pressure and a lot of panic-driven actions. Execution of the outball to Gyokeres was so poor as well. We’ve been so good at getting the ball to him on the break this season and letting him do his thing but that was really lacking today.

Like I said I think you can probably attribute a lot of it to nerves, and it felt like we noticeably relaxed and started playing better as soon as we knew Blackburn were ahead, but they also passed the ball around so well and looked very confident in doing so. We did well to limit to them to few chances, the centre backs were outstanding as usual, and Kelly was great too, but we also invited them onto us so much and it felt like if they’d had wanted it a bit more they might have been able to put us under a bit of pressure and find a winner.

How that all impacts the game on Sunday, I’m not sure. Their injuries seem to be impacting them a fair bit, especially at the back, and I think we saw today in the first half especially, that we can get at them. Not sure whether I’d start Godden or not for this one, I think he struggles to impact the game as much in these games where we don’t have much of the ball and he can be painfully slow (there was one instance in the first half today where he looked clean through and Lenihan pretty comfortably caught up with him from a worse starting position), however he has also been good in our last two home games and we might play with a bit more of the ball in this one.

Think that if we can get at least a 1 goal advantage to take to the Riverside then we should have a good chance, but it’s going to be a really tough game. Fingers crossed.

skybluepm2

Robins got lucky again,his team selection and lack of subs will get coventry a thrashing.why take off Eccles defending midfielder for a attacking midfielder, Allen.godden should have been replaced by allen

We needed a point, we got a point. Couldn’t give a monkeys how we did it…It worked. Props to Robins for getting us into 5th place in a ridiculously difficult league.

bigfatronssba

Robins got lucky again,his team selection and lack of subs will get coventry a thrashing.why take off Eccles defending midfielder for a attacking midfielder, Allen.godden should have been replaced by allen
Amazing how much luck Robins gets. Need to ask him for Lottery numbers right?

Users who are viewing this thread