Match Thread Coventry City vs Scunthorpe United Match Thread - Saturday 4th Aug (2 Viewers)

ccfc_Tom

Amazing how many unfit players there are (or at least not fully fit)
Factors to assume
  • Davies unavailable MacDonald playing poorly therefore Willis will be risked
  • No Chaplin or equivalent (he has had a while to sort this out) happy to be proved wrong
  • Brown was bought to be first choice
  • Stirling is a wing back rather than a full back
  • We do not have the resources available for 3 at the back

Burge (known quantity)
Grimmer Willis Hyam Brown (it worked last year so don't fix it except where absolutely necessary, also two attackers in front of the full backs, so no Stirling, but expect a sub appearance)
Bayliss Ogogo Doyle Allesani (Kelly unfit)
Andreu
Biamou or JCH (either)

Worried that Bayliss and Allesani are not good as defenders
If Davies, Kelly and a striker were there I would be confident of a narrow win. Injuries and that I would settle for a draw
Allesani looks handy, so 1-1
Dont know how allesani played against west brom but.he was getting stuck in against derby looks like a battler

SlowerThanPlatt

They’re without a few key players as well from last season due to injury. First choice goalkeeper Matt Gilks, top goalscorer Josh Morris, centre back Rory McArdle (34 apps), defensive midfielder Funso Ojo (40 apps) and winger Duane Holmes (45 apps)

ironbrunet

Holmes and Ojo are our best players. Don't rule either out of starting but they haven't featured much in pre season.
We've sold our two best defenders in Murray Wallace and Conor Townsend for over £1million.
As yet, we have failed to replace most of the outgoings.
I fear a long season for us unless we pull our fingers out this week in the transfer window.

SlowerThanPlatt

Holmes and Ojo are our best players. Don't rule either out of starting but they haven't featured much in pre season.
We've sold our two best defenders in Murray Wallace and Conor Townsend for over £1million.
I fear a long season for us unless we pull our fingers out this week in the transfer window.

Who’s been in goal for you with Gilks injured? Don’t look much experience at all in backup with Rory Watson (6 league apps) and Jonathan Flatt (4 league apps)

ironbrunet

Rory Watson. Played well in the play offs but looked a bit suspect when given a run in the side when Gilks was injured last year.

ironbrunet

I hope so although he looked a bit uncomfortable against Lincoln by all accounts and has just recovered from another serious injury.
He is one that would probably have moved on to a higher level already if it were not for injury as he has been really consistent for us after a bit of a horror start.
Comfortably the best defender we have left and we are far worse when he is not in the side.

Nick

Administrator
I hope so although he looked a bit uncomfortable against Lincoln by all accounts and has just recovered from another serious injury.
He is one that would probably have moved on to a higher level already if it were not for injury as he has been really consistent for us after a bit of a horror start.
Comfortably the best defender we have left and we are far worse when he is not in the side.

I never thought I would hear that said.

Will be interesting to see the reception he gets.

ironbrunet

I know you guys were not keen on him and his first month or two in an Iron shirt seemed to confirm what you were all saying, but he has developed into a very good player. He's cut out the mistakes, he's strong and quick and is one of the best right backs at this level. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a move to a Championship club if he can steer injury free as he has been that good for us.

Watch him drop a bollock on Saturday now...

Nick

Administrator
I know you guys were not keen on him and his first month or two in an Iron shirt seemed to confirm what you were all saying, but he has developed into a very good player. He's cut out the mistakes, he's strong and quick and is one of the best right backs at this level. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a move to a Championship club if he can steer injury free as he has been that good for us.

Fingers crossed a couple of own goals.

fernandopartridge

That said, I don't think you've lost many at the Ricoh? Our record against you is pretty poor

covcity4life

from what ive seen(only highlights) and heard of pre season i would go

o brien
mason
hyam
willis
sterling(is already match fit due to england and with first game at home think can intergrate 1st game of season)
doyle
bayliss(in middle as ogogo may be injury risk)
shipley
allasani(can he play on right too? if not swap him to left and swap bayliss to right with shipley in middle alongside doyle)
andreu number 10
jch/biamou upfront-pick either quite frankly

subs

burge
grimmer
rod
ponticelli
biamou or jch
westbrooke
brown

not a bad team,but jones and a new striker added to mix we can expect a promotion push hopefully

fernandopartridge

He was always ok here, another scapegoat. He made a few mistakes at times but was generally solid, good on the ball. Should have been kept as wasn't replaced by anything better once Christie had left.

Mr Panda

I'm not surprised by this. I was in the same school year as him so do have an interest in seeing him do well. He was regarded as the best player coming out our academy system at the time but for whatever reason struggled to impress at senior level.

SkyBlueCRJ

I noticed you signed Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, a fantastic signing by all accounts as on paper he should be playing at least at Championship level. But where do you see him playing as he can play both LB and CB?

ironbrunet

Left back.
We've just sold Conor Townsend to West Brom for £750,000 and CB-J is his direct replacement.
We do have a young lad Lewis Butroid who is more than capable as well - but expect the Man Utd player to start.

shmmeee

He was always ok here, another scapegoat. He made a few mistakes at times but was generally solid, good on the ball. Should have been kept as wasn't replaced by anything better once Christie had left.

To be fair I was harsh, always defended Clarke when he was here. But I'll always defend any of our kids.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
This is assuming Ogogo is injured.

Sterling on the right to provide a bit of defensive cover as well as some pace going forward.

Then Davies to replace Hyam when not banned.

View attachment 10256

Because typing out a team was too casual :)

A little concerned you’ve listed no keeper though; are you really that confident we can win with 10 men and an empty net?

SlowerThanPlatt

So Willis, Bayliss, Sterling and Ogogo got vital minutes tonight and all being well came through unscathed

I’d go for Saturday

Burge

Grimmer
Hyam
Willis
Brown

Sterling
Bayliss
Ogogo
Allassani

Andreu

Clarke Harris/new ST

But I can’t see Robins not playing Doyle for the opener. So reckon he’ll go with Bayliss right mid, Doyle in the middle and Sterling dropping to the bench

Hobo

The woman, me, the old editor of The West Ender, going....with open minds.opening games are usually disorganised and no pointer to the season.

Irish Sky Blue

So Willis, Bayliss, Sterling and Ogogo got vital minutes tonight and all being well came through unscathed

I’d go for Saturday

Burge

Grimmer
Hyam
Willis
Brown

Sterling
Bayliss
Ogogo
Allassani

Andreu

Clarke Harris/new ST

But I can’t see Robins not playing Doyle for the opener. So reckon he’ll go with Bayliss right mid, Doyle in the middle and Sterling dropping to the bench
Biamou will surely be ahead of JCH.

CCFC_Charlie

0-1 Scunthorpe. Think we're massively under-prepared for this season and expecting a very slow start especially when you factor in having a much shorter pre-season than most thanks to the play-offs. We'll struggle in front of goal and they'll knick one from a set piece at some point in the second half.

Burge - Grimmer, Willis, Hyam, Brown - Ogogo, Doyle - Bayliss, Andreu, Allasani - Biamou would be my team if everyone is fit.

Users who are viewing this thread