Match Thread Coventry City - Wycombe Wanderers Match Thread - Friday 22nd Dec (1 Viewer)

skyblueelephant76

Yes came on at half time and changed the game as we sank deeper and deeper. Scored after 10 minutes of being on if I recall.

Has 10 league goals this season already so more than capable at this level and full of confidence.

7 of them goals were from headers too
Last season he was up against Turnbull and Harries, I'd rather have any two of Willis, McDonald and Davies up against him. He will be a threat, they need to make sure they don't drop deep and keep him out of the box.

letsallsingtogether

Whats our lowest ever crowd for a league game? Think this could be very low. Take out the people who have something better to do on a Friday night and those travelling somewhere for Xmas and it could be even emptier than usual.
I believe Saturday was the second lowest crowd on a Saturday for a league game played in Coventry.
That' what was said at the game anyway.

johnwillomagic

Hmm Again I'd be tempted to play lumps at the back against these think this is the team I'd go with.
Realise Vincenti in Central Midfield may be controversial....

Burge GK
Willis RB
Stokes LB
MacDonald CB
Davies CB
Doyle DCM
Vincenti DCM
Maycock ATT
McNulty ATT
Duck ATT
Biamou ST

Subs: O'Brien, Grimmer, Haynes, Stevenson, Baylis, Ponticelli, Beavon

Alan Dugdales Moustache

No one should over worry about the team and tactics. It'll be the usual huffing and puffing and if we win we'll all leave the Ricoh thinking how the hell did we manage that ?

Londonccfcfan

Hmm Again I'd be tempted to play lumps at the back against these think this is the team I'd go with.
Realise Vincenti in Central Midfield may be controversial....

Burge GK
Willis RB
Stokes LB
MacDonald CB
Davies CB
Doyle DCM
Vincenti DCM
Maycock ATT
McNulty ATT
Duck ATT
Biamou ST

Subs: O'Brien, Grimmer, Haynes, Stevenson, Baylis, Ponticelli, Beavon

Maycock!!!????

olderskyblue

I was going to type the exact same thing, but was going to put an extra couple of asterisks in.

So, not the exact same thing then... ;)

sw88

Chief Commentator!
For anyone who visits the family zone the FZ will be OPEN between 6.30pm and 7.15pm on Friday. It is not a normal FZ but Santa, Andy Morrell, current squad members and Sky BLue Sam will be with us between 6.30pm and 7pm. Santa will be handing out sweets and there will be free pop and snacks for the young fans visiting us. thanks

Nick

Administrator
For anyone who visits the family zone the FZ will be OPEN between 6.30pm and 7.15pm on Friday. It is not a normal FZ but Santa, Andy Morrell, current squad members and Sky BLue Sam will be with us between 6.30pm and 7pm. Santa will be handing out sweets and there will be free pop and snacks for the young fans visiting us. thanks

If I get there and Andy Morrell isn't Santa

giphy.gif

Sky Blue Harry H

A
Whats our lowest ever crowd for a league game? Think this could be very low. Take out the people who have something better to do on a Friday night and those travelling somewhere for Xmas and it could be even emptier than usual.

And I'm back for this, now I've got the family meal out of the way (told you we'd win if I missed the Cheltenham game!) so there's another added to last Saturday!

Well there's a game on Friday and all the talk seems to be focused on that nobody Dale Evans.

Personally I think this game will be very open. Wycombe don't seem the type to sit back behind the ball and tend to push for goals.

I can see a 2-1 loss here unfortunately, with us falling further down the table.

What do you guys think?

ccfchoi87

Well there's a game on Friday and all the talk seems to be focused on that nobody Dale Evans.

Personally I think this game will be very open. Wycombe don't seem the type to sit back behind the ball and tend to push for goals.

I can see a 2-1 loss here unfortunately, with us falling further down the table.

What do you guys think?

We'll win 3-0. They'll attack us and we'll exploit it. Doyle will sit in front of Akinfenwa and nullify his threat like Jack finch did in the semi last year.

Irish Sky Blue

Last season with deflated teams managed by Venus(I think) and Slade, we beat Wycombe twice.A lot of posters on here say that this season’s team is better than last season’s ( although I would not be sure about that), therefore should this not be a game we should win?
Also the better combination last week I thought was Willis and Davis. Willis I thought was excellent in the second half and showed real grit and determination to play through his injury and stay on for the whole game. If fit I would still play Willis and McDonald.

covmark

Last season with deflated teams managed by Venus(I think) and Slade, we beat Wycombe twice.A lot of posters on here say that this season’s team is better than last season’s ( although I would not be sure about that), therefore should this not be a game we should win?
Also the better combination last week I thought was Willis and Davis. Willis I thought was excellent in the second half and showed real grit and determination to play through his injury and stay on for the whole game. If fit I would still play Willis and McDonald.
So you don't take into account that Wycombe may have improved their team?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Irish Sky Blue

So you don't take into account that Wycombe may have improved their team?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
As I remember, they were pushing for the play offs last season too. I am often disappointed, but in this league I look at the fixtures and think we should win every game. In this case. Wycombe are only a couple of points ahead of us coming to our ground. We have already convincingly beat several of this season’s leading contenders. I think we can do the same to Wycombe. Last week’s game was an example of how football should be, fast, flowing and exciting with shots and chances at both ends.Hopefully this week we will be just as enterprising going forward but a little tighter at the back.

Terry Gibson's perm

Not going so should be a 10v9 win but more likely 1v1 should be at Port Vale though

Esoterica

Some Wycombe stats to give us an idea what we might expect:

Form:
Wycombe's form is intriguing. At home they have only lost twice all season - to Notts County and Luton and are currently unbeaten in 7 games. Away from home and more relevant to us for this fixture, they were unbeaten in their first 7 away games but then lost 3 on the bounce, before a 0-0 draw last time out at Stevenage. This chalk and cheese home and away form puts them 10th in the form table with 11 points from their last 8 matches vs. our 12 points from 8. As you can see from the following form table, no-one has been amazing which is why we've stayed in touch on our own bad run.
Wycombe form.png

Goals:
Overall they are free flowing and are 2nd only to Luton for goals scored - 39 in total. They have scored 3 goals or more on 9 occasions this season however the majority of there goals are scored at home (24) with only 15 of them coming away. Defensively they also concede more at home (16) than away (13). As you can imagine, they have been involved in a lot of highscoring games this year - 50% have seen more than 3.5 goals. It looks like they go for it at home and try and keep it tighter away - they have only been leading twice at HT away from home.

Other notes:
Almost all of their games against the top and bottom of the table have been at home. While they have been hammering the poorer teams at home, they have not beaten a team in the play offs all season - 2 draws and 3 defeats.

wycombe head to head.png

Summary:
An early goal for us will likely make it a very open game otherwise it will be a tense 45 minutes with the game opening right up in the 2nd half as both teams look to win it - 31% of Wycombe's conceded goals occurred after the 75th minute as do 30% of our goals scored. Expect a late goal!

Users who are viewing this thread