Coventry Fans On The Road (1 Viewer)

Hobo

Shout out to Coventry Rugby Club reaching the Championship Cup Final v Ealing Trailfinders. To be played at Ealing's ground.

Coventry Rugby Supporters Club (they do a fantastic job)
took 6 coaches.
Earlsdon Rugby Club took a coach also.

It basically means the Coventry Rugby Club.... 'Cov Dog' will be present in Ealing on and off the pitch.

sotvtoday

Going back to the 60s/70s Cov were biggest English club with almost their whole squad full England internationals, but like ccfc f**ked up by directors which put them years in the wilderness.
I remember the glory days as a youngster with the internationals playing but I was more into the footy than the rugby. From what I remember there was no league system then? Also was it supposed to be an amateur game? I'd be interested to know how they fell so far if you can summarize it?

Cov kid 55

I went to King Henry’s in the 60’s, it was a massive rugby school. Peter Rossborough was head boy, and Peter Preece was a contemporary, both future England internationals. Duckham also went to that school. Cov rugby were huge, my Dad was a keen rugby player, and although City were my first love, I saw a lot of Cov rugby, they would bring the big Welsh clubs down, and give them a pasting. I moved away from Cov in 69, so lost touch with the rugby scene. Was rugby diluted in the two grammar schools by the introduction of association football, or was the demise of Cov rugby purely due to financial issues?

Cov kid 55

Ps. Did anyone see the BBC2 programme on Two Tone last night? Excellent, particularly the footage of early Specials and Selector concerts, and the social comment around Cov in the 60’s/70’s.

fernandopartridge

Not quiet, profesional game was creeping in but Cov commitee were against it and stayed amateur so eventsually lost their better players to the likes of Leicester Tigers, Saracens and Northampton Saints.
Cov were well supported at the time 10k gates were often.
When professionalism came in (mid 90s)? The record gate was that Newcastle game in 96 and I think that was sub 10k. It is delusional to suggest they'd regularly get that level of support even if they're relatively well supported for the level they are at.

skybluesam66

I went to King Henry’s in the 60’s, it was a massive rugby school. Peter Rossborough was head boy, and Peter Preece was a contemporary, both future England internationals. Duckham also went to that school. Cov rugby were huge, my Dad was a keen rugby player, and although City were my first love, I saw a lot of Cov rugby, they would bring the big Welsh clubs down, and give them a pasting. I moved away from Cov in 69, so lost touch with the rugby scene. Was rugby diluted in the two grammar schools by the introduction of association football, or was the demise of Cov rugby purely due to financial issues?
They still only played with an egg in the mid 80 s. I imagine still do. Peter whittingham came through there so not sure if that changed anything

It’sabatch87

Pete Rossborough was my PE teacher at my comprehensive.

Peter Billing Eyes

When professionalism came in (mid 90s)? The record gate was that Newcastle game in 96 and I think that was sub 10k. It is delusional to suggest they'd regularly get that level of support even if they're relatively well supported for the level they are at.
The record gate wasn’t the game against Newcastle. I was at that match and although it created a lot of interest, the gate was around 8k and was never reported as a record, so not sure where you are getting that from?
In fact, occasionally they would give out the Coundon Rd results (and attendances) at Highfield Rd after the game. Regularly (and especially if Cov were playing Rugby Lions or Moseley), the crowd at Coundon Rd would be over 10k. I believe the outright attendance record was for a match against Cardiff and it was 18k+. The Cowshed alone in its heyday would hold 10000.

Users who are viewing this thread