Coventry RFC Thread 18/19 (2 Viewers)

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Positives today young lad Dan Lewis first start was my MOTM, White had the best game by a scrum half this season, Maisey kicked pretty well, Cov look fantastic on the attack unstoppable in the first half!

Still missing first tackle a fair bit and Notts pushed us around.

Shout out to the worst ref to grace the BPA!

Another 5 points with the away game at Nottingham on Friday!

Kneeza

And but for the width of the post (vs Donny), we'd be four points clear.
Agree re. White. He gets better and better IMO. Was quite impressed by Flinn too, when he eventually got a look-in.
We missed Gibbo from the off, but eventually got to grips with the Nottm pack, and I reckon Beech had his best game in a Cov shirt.
Oram was immense, and well worth his bottle of fizz.
I just worry about Jubby. That arm looked pretty knackered, but at least we have an international lock on the way back, and reasonable riches in the back row, so we should be OK.
Happy with a ten- point win, but not altogether confident about Friday night.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

What happened to Jubb?

Quite a few walking wounded today with Knox limping off after the 4th try, Ben Adams looked in a bad way!

Great situation to throw Flinn on his debut, chasing the game, as opposed to being 20 clear etc, slotted in well!

How ‘weak’ was the Nottingham side? As heard the mention of majority academy, if that’s the case they’ve all had a tough paper round!
Any point/s Friday will be a bonus as id imagine they’ll have a stronger side out and ours may be weaker.

Kneeza

Veenendaal has form for that. Terrifically experienced player (and typical inside-half) doing what he's paid to do.

Kneeza

Just had a quick check.
Nottm had 19 First Team Squad players in their 22 yesterday. The remainder were loaners from Prem sides.
We had two devt. players (if you count Lewis as one, as I believe him to be) , and one loaner.
Reasonably balanced?

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Just had a quick check.
Nottm had 19 First Team Squad players in their 22 yesterday. The remainder were loaners from Prem sides.
We had two devt. players (if you count Lewis as one, as I believe him to be) , and one loaner.
Reasonably balanced?

Thought as much.
Yeah 3 pest loanees.

Friday night will be an interesting one down there!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Be better if they'd make up their minds whether Flinn or White are on the bench though.

Oh yeah article says Flinn.
I’d stick with him on the bench for the last 3 games going by last Saturday’s cameo!

Did you go to the meeting the other week RE ground plans? Much said if you did go?

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

It's total insanity. How can any other club ever aspire to greatness?

Is there any other sport that behaves in such a fashion?

I think it is a disgrace.

Totally agree, Cov have a plan to build the ground, facilities, be able to get to a point to be in a position to cope financially in the Premiership, what happens now!?

Surely they should have a set of criteria the side that finishes top of the championship needs to meet probably most importantly financially, they meet that they go up, side bottom of prem drops.

Interesting the season London Irish look set to go up and in the Premiership it’s tight at the bottom and potentially a ‘big club’ could Go down they’ll bring the ringfencing in.....

SBAndy

Not actually sure that’s it’s legally viable whilst we are in the EU (though if anyone is versed in European law I’d be happy to be corrected). There’s a law referred to as TFEU Article 101 which prohibits actions like this in the name of competition. Whether that would change once we leave the EU is up for question.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

That's madness. What is the point of a league system with tiers if you can't move up or down?

Exactly, I guess relegation would stay.

They mute this idea so so often but it appears panicked. Just ‘that’s it we are blocking relegation’, surely some creativity you could get 24 clubs create 2 leagues that can interchange.

3rd tier (current National League 1) winners could be champions of part time clubs or something so everyone knows thats their pinnacle.
I don’t know guess RFU won’t want 24 full time clubs to look after.

But for me it needs for thought for the Championship clubs.

Rugby is heading down the ‘Football’ route money % wise to clubs incomes etc but it hasn’t got the foundations, tv or sponsorship to sustain it from what I see!

Kneeza

I'm pretty sure he'll come back better than ever TBH.
Not the same injury (knee), but a young Rob Hardwick (another prop in case you don't remember) was thought to be finished in the mid nineties after a terrible injury that needed reconstruction, but came back to win an England cap while still at Cov, and then had a long career at LI in the Prem. Knees and shoulders are equally important to a prop! Surgical procedures have continued to improve since then too, so I wouldn't worry too much. The main thing is that we've procured very good cover.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I'm pretty sure he'll come back better than ever TBH.
Not the same injury (knee), but a young Rob Hardwick (another prop in case you don't remember) was thought to be finished in the mid nineties after a terrible injury that needed reconstruction, but came back to win an England cap while still at Cov, and then had a long career at LI in the Prem. Knees and shoulders are equally important to a prop! Surgical procedures have continued to improve since then too, so I wouldn't worry too much. The main thing is that we've procured very good cover.

Hardwick that’s a name from the past, would have been around the time I first started going up at the age of 5/6 when City were away!

fernandopartridge

Not actually sure that’s it’s legally viable whilst we are in the EU (though if anyone is versed in European law I’d be happy to be corrected). There’s a law referred to as TFEU Article 101 which prohibits actions like this in the name of competition. Whether that would change once we leave the EU is up for question.

Hmm, that's more about distortion of competition between companies, i.e. the operation of markets. I don't think it applies here.

Kneeza

Hmm, that's more about distortion of competition between companies, i.e. the operation of markets. I don't think it applies here.
No, quite.
However, there is definitely something in the agreement that permits the RFU to veto such a move. Although the Prem also has a huge bargaining chip as it (or its constituent businesses) hold the players' contracts and could, so they wish, withhold their services (for internationals) which would kill the Union stone dead.
Interesting times.
I wonder how the elite players would view that though...

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Penultimate cup game tomorrow v Doncaster.
Cov side looks stronger than I expected after the midweek medical report!

Do think we’ll come unstuck tomorrow and lose (0-4) ..... think I’ve said that every Cup home game so far and they’ve done the reverse!
I’m going Doncaster by 10.

Coventry Rugby:

1. Charlie Beech
  2. Phil Nilsen
  3. Phil Boulton ©
  4. Tom Jubb
  5. George Oram
  6. Latu Makaafi
  7. Jack Ram
  8. Dan Faleafa
  9. Tom Kessell
  10. Will Maisey