Coventry United (1 Viewer)

Vedere

This would have been better if more fans had had a say in the setting up.

However, at least they have tried to do something!

Personally I always thought City should have had red and green as an away kit, green with a red sash or vice versa a la River Plate style!

As for the name United is not solely the property of Manchester United, it's only a suffix used for teams...

Manchester United
Newcastle United
West Ham United
Leeds United
Sheffield United
Scunthorpe United
Colchester United
Peterborough United
Carlisle United
Hartlepool United
Rotherham United
Southend United
Oxford United
Torquay United
Hereford United

Adding a Coventry to the list is better than playing outside of Coventry with no immediate plans of returning to the City of Coventry: the outskirts of Coventry would not be the same (even if it's better than being 30 odd miles away!)

Last edited:

Manchester_sky_blue

Personally I like the red and green kit, those colours have a much longer standing association with the city than sky blue does, although i can understand why some fans want to see the club play in blue. Perhaps Coventry United could have a red and green home kit and a sky blue away kit, that would be a nice touch.

Im not keen on the name however. There are many uniteds in the league (and non-league) its true but traditionally that title came about because 2 or more teams merged, thus creating a single "united" team. It seems wrong for a new team to name themselves united when thats not part of their history. 1883 or Sporting would be much better titles IMHO.

I do think that the guys behind Coventry United and the guys involved in the possible set up of Cov 1883 should get together and start talking, if there is to be a genuine successor club then there needs to be just one that everyone can get behind, not several small splintered clubs dividing the fan base.

Last edited:

Vedere

Agree with that Manchester. If CCFC are not imminently returning to Ricoh/Coventry then I totally agree. Everyone needs to sit down and talk about how to move forward to build something people of Coventry feel part of and can be proud of.

shmmeee

While CCFC exist they should be the only team in anyone's mind. Otherwise, what? You drop them when CCFC come under better ownership? When they come back to Cov?

If this is going to be "on standby" as such then don't use Sky Blue or anything linked to CCFC. If they can have a good year or two and CCFC do go under then they can start appropriating the history. Better a brand new club is changed than an established one and a lot of the teething problems will be over come.

skybluebal

We should be focused on getting our club back in Coventry at the Ricoh and getting situ out. Why have CU been set up at all when there are established local clubs? It seems the 'money men' want to be in control again.

In any case, we should keep our focus on the right objective! We are in for the long haul, remember 130 years of history is behind us, what's a few more years!

Vedere

The reason I support Coventry City is because they're from Coventry. If this ceases to be the case then I'd support either an 1883 Phoenix club or Sphinx. Teams outside of Cov mean nothing to me. Not knocking those that would follow: Nuneston, Whitesox or Leamington... Not for me.

However, I am very pessimistic when it comes to CCFC so I don't see a return! I hope I'm wrong!

J

Jack Griffin

We should be focused on getting our club back in Coventry at the Ricoh and getting situ out. Why have CU been set up at all when there are established local clubs? It seems the 'money men' want to be in control again.

In any case, we should keep our focus on the right objective! We are in for the long haul, remember 130 years of history is behind us, what's a few more years!

It is unrealistic to think a club can climb the leagues without backing from wealthy businessmen.

What matters here is that the people behind it are not some hedge fund with an anonymous owner and are from Coventry, in fact I understand they all went up the City & rented exec. boxes.

J

Jack Griffin

Coventry United FC @CovUnited
Full Time Kenilworth Town 1 Coventry United 2.

1h Coventry United FC @CovUnited
GOAL 79 minutes. Brian Ndlovu 2 - 1

1h Coventry United FC @CovUnited
2nd Half has just kicked off.

Half Time. Kenilworth Town 1 Coventry United 1

GOAL 27mins to Kenilworth. 1-1

GOAL 5 mins Kenroy Dennisur. 1 nil to Coventry United.

Vs Kenilworth Town has just kicked off.

Diehard Si

Wondering if these threads and the Sphinx ones should be in the football and other sports forum and not the Cov City one?

Sky

What's the whole "1883" thing about. 1883 is CCFC not any other club. If CCFC dies the legacy dies. I'd love Coventry Phoenix as a name to signify a completely new beginning

mark82

It is unrealistic to think a club can climb the leagues without backing from wealthy businessmen.

What matters here is that the people behind it are not some hedge fund with an anonymous owner and are from Coventry, in fact I understand they all went up the City & rented exec. boxes.

AFC Wimbledon climbed the leagues without a wealthy backer. Would prefera well run fan owned club to one loaned millions by a wealthy backer.

Manchester_sky_blue

AFC Wimbledon climbed the leagues without a wealthy backer. Would prefera well run fan owned club to one loaned millions by a wealthy backer.

In fairness, i think the investment in to 1883 as been pretty minimal, they have just covered the start up costs.

I disagree as well that this has been done too soon, I see no reason why a fan-owned and controlled team can't co-exist alongside CCFC, I know many people who go to both Man U and FC United games.

mark82

In fairness, i think the investment in to 1883 as been pretty minimal, they have just covered the start up costs.

I disagree as well that this has been done too soon, I see no reason why a fan-owned and controlled team can't co-exist alongside CCFC, I know many people who go to both Man U and FC United games.

You mean minimal investment into Coventry United? Nothing been invested in 1883 as yet as that would be fan owned. I agree that efforts should be combined between 1883 and United. Maybe the guys involved in setting up united can retain a minority private stake (maybe 25%) for putting the effort into setting up and running for a year.

Manchester_sky_blue

You mean minimal investment into Coventry United? Nothing been invested in 1883 as yet as that would be fan owned. I agree that efforts should be combined between 1883 and United. Maybe the guys involved in setting up united can retain a minority private stake (maybe 25%) for putting the effort into setting up and running for a year.

Yes sorry I meant United. Their website also states that a plan is in place to offer fans the chance to purchase shares in the club. It makes sense for United to become 1883 as it's already off the ground so to speak.

mark82

Yes sorry I meant United. Their website also states that a plan is in place to offer fans the chance to purchase shares in the club. It makes sense for United to become 1883 as it's already off the ground so to speak.

I asked them about it a few weeks back and I don't think they want to offer fans shares yet. Would need to know what percentage they were willing to offer to fans and at what price before agreeing anything IMO. For me "memberships" need to be priced similar to FC United - £12 a year to keep it affordable to all.

Gary.j

Coventry united are not/will never be a continuation of CCFC! The point of a reborn club is to continue Coventry City, (just minus the current board).

mark82

Coventry united are not/will never be a continuation of CCFC! The point of a reborn club is to continue Coventry City, (just minus the current board).

If things can be done the right way there is no reason they couldn't be used as a platform. Would have to be done on our terms though. Fan ownership. We choose name, club crest, kit, etc. it makes sense to use the existing work they have done.

If I'm honest I can't see them agreeing to it anyway so we will have to start afresh.

J

Jack Griffin

3 promotions in 3 seasons, next season will be in same league as Cov Sphinx which is tier 9.
4 levels below the Conference (which is called the Vanarama National League this season)
cufc10.jpg

Pipehitterz

I've been to a few games , Good Little set up they have.
Still a very very Long way off in terms of skill levels.
Not sure they'll have the same impact next year as they'll be heading into Ex pros

M&B Stand

3 promotions in 3 seasons, next season will be in same league as Cov Sphinx which is tier 9.
4 levels below the Conference (which is called the Vanarama National League this season)
cufc10.jpg

Fair play to them and all that, they've been playing sat, tues, thurs for the last few weeks so it's a decent achievement. But next year will be a different story, the old Midland alliance is a lot higher standard.
Cov Utd played my mates team, Bolehall who are shocking, the other week and were lucky to get a win against bang average Sunday league lads. Like I say, fair play for winning the league, albeit a shit standard one.

Hobo

Fair play to them. Good luck for next season.

skyblue1991

Hope Coventry United fail.

If you're going to support another Coventry club go and support Coventry Sphinx

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 2477

Shouldnt this thread be in the other football. Got nothing to do with the sky blues and their just another club who I and others couldnt give a toss about

Sick Boy

A big threat? Really? They were hardly one league below us.

Where did I say they were a threat?

They tried to profit our misfortune and tried to entice our fans to go and watch them when we were in Northampton. In no way are they a threat to us but I don't particularly like how they went about it all and in no means do I wish them well.

Pipehitterz

They tried to use our situation to their own advantage.
did they?
How do you know that? I've never heard a thing about enticing Fans.
3 of the 4 owners had premium box at City for years and years , and have put a lot of money into City .
They fell out with our owners and decided to do their own thing.
They still attend City games but not in an executive capacity and only very rarely. It was never a anti City protest , just a fall out with sisu , and as far as I'm aware they've never had a thing to do with sisu out

Covstu

did they?
How do you know that? I've never heard a thing about enticing Fans.
3 of the 4 owners had premium box at City for years and years , and have put a lot of money into City .
They fell out with our owners and decided to do their own thing.
They still attend City games but not in an executive capacity and only very rarely. It was never a anti City protest , just a fall out with sisu , and as far as I'm aware they've never had a thing to do with sisu out
tend to agree, these were people who were fed up with SISU and decided to do something about it. The stayaway fans who decided not to go and support city after Northampton get applauded but these get hammered? Don't understand it myself but each to their own

Users who are viewing this thread