Coventry's most important/memorable games (1 Viewer)

Calista

Got to include the Wolves game in 67.

You can make a case for any of the crazy relegation escapes, the Checkatrade and the playoffs etc. But even though it didn't completely decide anything (so wasn't "important" in that sense) 51,000 people inside Highfield Road was the absolute climax of the Jimmy Hill years, and beyond anything else I've seen apart from the 87 Cup Final.

Midlands Match of the Century

Travs

Most important/defining...

87 Cup Final
77 vs Bristol City
97 Spurs
Sutton
either 1st win at Villa Park, or Notts County playoff semi

Most memorable, i imagine that is personal for all of us, but for me....

97 Spurs
1st win at Villa
Old Trafford Mifsud
Blackburn away 4-1
97 Man Utd 3-2

Reactions: MPC

Kneeza

Most memorable for me, personally; 3-1 over Wolves, stood in the Covered End, among a crowd of 51,455.
5-4 over Norwich.
And, 2-1 over Bayern (only slightly marred by the 6-1 humping at their midden).

Sky Blue Harry H

Most memorable for me, personally; 3-1 over Wolves, stood in the Covered End, among a crowd of 51,455.
5-4 over Norwich.
And, 2-1 over Bayern (only slightly marred by the 6-1 humping at their midden).

Got a like for the use of midden (had to google for the definition, so thanks for exercising my brain!)

blunted

Losing to Kings Lynn. Meant we got Jimmy Hill.
Winning against Hitler. My dad said we were going up before the war intervened. Hitlers fault not ours.
Wolves at home 3-1 as I was on the pitch for the second time as a young whippersnapper (first was Sunderland in cup same season) Invading not playing.
Checkatrade trophy win as MR said that was the turning point.
Notts County away...on our way to Wemberley.

mds

Important, any of the last day deciders, FA Cup win.
Memorable, really hard, there are so many for many different reasons.
Beating Liverpool, the then League Champions at home 1-0 ;)
Norwich 5-4
Notts County away in the play off semi
Liverpool again gibbos hatrick
3-2 Man Utd Huckerbys goal
Given, the only irishman who dosnt know where Dublin is.
League cup Semi v West Ham, Highfield road was fkin electric that night, huge crowd huge noise and a great comeback.

Bit of a tangent but our most important game which we didn't play in... Notts County 2 Luton 1 1992- we'd made a total balls of saving ourselves at Villa Park & would have failed to make the inaugural Premier League season had Luton won.
I had to look this up as i have absolutely no recollection of Notts C being in the top flight at that time, weird cause i normally have a pretty decent memory of these things. Saying that after looking it up Luton would of gone down on goal difference -33 to our -9

Liquid Gold

I don't get why the argument is Checkatrade or Notts County when it should be Checkatrade or Exeter.

Notts County away was brilliant but lose the final and we're still in L2.

Flying Fokker

Robbie Keane's debut, ok so it's not in the top 5, but an unforgettable game nonetheless.
Ndlovu's hattrick at Anfield.
City 5 Norwich 4
City 5 Forest 4
Sunderland 4 City 5
Arsenal 0 City 3 (Qinn hattrick)
Loads of great games over the years.

City 3 Bristol 2 (10 men score 3 goals in second half to come from behind to win)

Portsmouth 3 City 3 (9 men come from behind to salvage a point)

Man City 1 City 3 F.A. cup rd4 (Peter Bodak scored "that goal"

City 5 Liverpool 1

City vs Everton 1970, the Donkey Kick game.

City 4 Everton 1 (thrash the champions on the last day of the season to stay up!
Fuckin av it !!! )
Permission to add 2-2 against Bristol Thursday Evening? 1976/77?

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Very difficult after a couple of beers. Purely on most important these are my initial thoughts
Whatever was the key game/moments that got us promoted to Division 1 (not necessarily at the Wolves game). The even older groupies can answer that one
Key games staying up in the first 2 years of division 1(I do remember the second season)
Not beating WBA in 77/78 season away and only drawing 3-3 which cost us UEFA place
Luton game back in 1985
Winning the FA cup
Losing to Sheffield United in FA cup in 98
Not sacking Strachan after loss at Bradford in late 2000
Winning last game at Highfield road
By all accounts that Mansfield draw in level 4
Notts County away in play off's
All the early wins back home this season have set us with a promising future

One thing for sure, Checkatrade is not one of these!. I've excluded lots of other really vital games, but please not the meaningless Checkatrade competition. The poor effort in 2nd leg at West Ham in league cup was bad news indeed at the time but would our wonderful win in 87 ever happened at all or in same fashion, maybe not.

Late inclusion, totally forgot to mention about Bristol City game in 76/77, we would never have had the brilliant 77/78 season without staying up that night.

Last edited:

grahamparsons68

I remember that evening. I was an 11 year old and got one of the Talbot balls they used to kick into the crowd before each game.

Great night and first away day visit!

Couple slightly off at a tangent:

1979 Bobby Robson said Mick Ferguson wasn't worth the money we wanted; Cov 4 Ipswich 1 Fergy scored all 4 Blast From The Past: On This Day 1979 – Ferguson 4 Ipswich 1 -Fab. Fergie’s Four Irritates Ipswich : Coventry City Former Players Association || CCFPA
1980 League cup 5th round Watford 2 Cov 2 never seen so many City fans in an away ground

Sick Boy

Disagree. While the playoff semi was an amazing game, I think it's the Checkatrade final that put Robins stamp on the team and with 40,000+ Cov fans present, showed the management and SiSu that the team could have the support and backing they hoped for. That one game started the snowball, the playoffs increased our momentum.
Completely understand that but arguably the Notts C game was the greater catalyst for me.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
CCFC 4 Everton 1 '85
CCFC 2 QPR 1 '86
CCFC 2 Norwich 1 '84

All more important than '97 in my opinion, at that time in the late 90s I think we'd have probably come straight back up. If we'd have gone down in the mid 80s that would have been much harder to bounce back from- no money, dwindling crowds, general apathy.

Bit of a tangent but our most important game which we didn't play in... Notts County 2 Luton 1 1992- we'd made a total balls of saving ourselves at Villa Park & would have failed to make the inaugural Premier League season had Luton won.

Happy_Martian

Did you really have to do that ? After all this time, you still go and stir up so many confused memories ??

Yes, I was in the away end for that game. Yes, I had my radio tuned into Radio 5. And yes, I was one of several hundred who were telling supporters around me if we were safe or not. And it did not help that the bleepers in the Holte End kept cheering so we kept panicking that Luton had scored.😱

Never forgive them for putting us through that, the bleeping bleepers 🤣

Happy_Martian

Missed this comment and I have a funny and not oft-known factoid.

Coventry did indeed have Notts County to thank for saving our collective asses that day. Something that was not forgotten by the club the following season. While Cov couldn't openly thank Notts County, they did show their appreciation by given the ball boys new track suits. In black and white with yellow piping. At the time, Cov didn't have a black strip so this could only have been recognition of the save we were given.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
Did you really have to do that ? After all this time, you still go and stir up so many confused memories ??

Yes, I was in the away end for that game. Yes, I had my radio tuned into Radio 5. And yes, I was one of several hundred who were telling supporters around me if we were safe or not. And it did not help that the bleepers in the Holte End kept cheering so we kept panicking that Luton had scored.😱

Never forgive them for putting us through that, the bleeping bleepers 🤣
Heh well after I went to the trouble of uploading the vid years ago figured I might as well get two extra views :LOL:

That whole day was horrible and was really flat afterwards as even though we'd stayed up, we'd played so poorly we barely deserved it (similar to the last day 0-0 v Leeds a few years later, though I was more preoccupied with not getting a slap on the pitch after that one).

And yes, if they'd actually been a Luton goal for each of the Villa end cheers, they'd have scored about 10!

COV

Heh well after I went to the trouble of uploading the vid years ago figured I might as well get two extra views :LOL:

That whole day was horrible and was really flat afterwards as even though we'd stayed up, we'd played so poorly we barely deserved it (similar to the last day 0-0 v Leeds a few years later, though I was more preoccupied with not getting a slap on the pitch after that one).

And yes, if they'd actually been a Luton goal for each of the Villa end cheers, they'd have scored about 10!

You’re right, there was nothing to celebrate at all, it was an embarrassing way to stay up. Remember Don Howe not even making it to the dugout before we were one down, then after talking like he’d saved us from relegation. We had fans everywhere that day, some ended up running across the pitch out of the Holte after being sussed out- the entire day felt horrible.

There was a testimonial the following day, I think it may have been for Sillett? Beforehand Jim Twyneham announced us as ‘founder members of the Premier League’ and even that didn’t get much recognition- we didn’t deserve it and everyone knew it, plus capitulating at Villa was humiliating as well. It was a terrible end to the worst top flight season I remember (aside from when we went down obviously)

Hertsccfc

You’re right, there was nothing to celebrate at all, it was an embarrassing way to stay up. Remember Don Howe not even making it to the dugout before we were one down, then after talking like he’d saved us from relegation. We had fans everywhere that day, some ended up running across the pitch out of the Holte after being sussed out- the entire day felt horrible.

There was a testimonial the following day, I think it may have been for Sillett? Beforehand Jim Twyneham announced us as ‘founder members of the Premier League’ and even that didn’t get much recognition- we didn’t deserve it and everyone knew it, plus capitulating at Villa was humiliating as well. It was a terrible end to the worst top flight season I remember (aside from when we went down obviously)
However was a terrible and really negative manager. As you say it was embarrassing to stay up playing like that, but I was so glad we did. I remember the atmosphere was really vitriolic as well, and until Notts County it seemed like a large group of Cov fans were intending to invade the pitch to hold up the game. One of the ugliest atmospheres I can remember at a Cov match.

Reactions: COV

Finham

Great call! We'd never won at Villa Park at that point, and Villa were 7th, so we weren't expected to get anything. Notts County were already relegated and had nothing to play for-seemingly easy pickings for Luton, who were every bit as good as us at last-day Houdini acts having pulled them off for the last 3 seasons and a few others. All the omens and vibes were that this was a bridge too far for our last-day survival specials.

We started, under that inspiring man-motivator Don Howe, really was spectacular, immediately literally stumbling to 1-0 down in the first 30 seconds from our spectacularly crap kick-off, to none other than Big Cyrille-whom Terry Butcher had given a free transfer to the previous summer. Regis bagged 11 league goals for Villa that season, which was more than he had scored for us in a season since 86/7 & just 3 less than he'd scored in his last 3 seasons here combined! Big Ron knew how to get the best out of him-better than Butcher, anyway.
He didn't exactly hold back celebrating that goal either, which hurt. Maybe it was aimed at Butcher.

Then when Luton took the lead and Dwight Yorke scored a second for Villa, to put things pretty much out of our hands...

It was torture as a kid listening to it on Mercia: after 18mins, I was in pieces, with us losing and Luton winning, we were going down-and it got even bleaker when Villa went 2-0 up. We were doomed.

Then out of nowhere, Rob Matthews scored for County and halfway through the second half, he got a second-so Luton went down instead of us!

Very much one of the most horrible days of football as a City fan-worse than our other last day escapes due to it being in no way thanks to our efforts. A bit like the Charlton game under Coleman.

I kept an eye on Rob Matthews' career after that and it's fair to say that game was the peak-he was lower-league rubbish, but he kept us up that day! It made me laugh when Luton later signed him in '95 and he failed to score a single goal for them. I always had a bit of a soft spot for County too after that.

Thanks for the link MusicDating!

There's a Trevor Peake interview on this one, which is more from the Luton viewpoint:

Plenty of connections that day as well as Regis: Peake (another '87 hero got rid of by Butcher, maybe a season too early) was Luton captain and David Pleat, his old Nuneaton Boro boss and of course Spurs '87 manager, was in his 2nd (poorer) spell at Luton. And future City goals-per-minute record-holder Mick Harford was in the Luton side.

Notts only had that 1 season in the top flight in the 90's having had back-to-back promotions. Derby then spunked record-breaking fees
on their best players (Tommy Johnson, Craig Short-record English fee for a defender at the time I think?), but still failed to get out of the 2nd tier with them.

As "sliding-doors" moments go, it's pretty much up there: we'd have missed out on the start of the Premier League and probably not had the
cash to get out of the second tier, where cash was already being flung by rich owners like Lionel Pickering and John Hall that we just did not have-we definitely wouldn't have had the 5-1 wins over Liverpool and 3-0 over Villa the following season, and I don't think Keegan would have let us have Quinn if we'd been second-tier promotion rivals to Newcastle.

As for Luton, it was their last top-flight game to date and they were in the bottom division less than a decade after and out of the league entirely by 2009-they've only really slightly recovered from that day in the past few years, and still not completely. Notts County haven't really recovered, either!

no_loyalty

I don't get why the argument is Checkatrade or Notts County when it should be Checkatrade or Exeter.

Nah, it was always in the bag once we got through, we just don’t lose competitive games at Wembley 😉

Bad Boy

The most important......
Tomorrows game against Sheffield United. Your next game is always the most important.
The most memorable.....
It has to be 1987

Sick Boy

I see it as being the game that gave us the confidence/belief that we could do it, especially after the first leg and then having to go and do it away…and losing there the month or two before then.

Citysince47

probably the most important game in our history was the defeat in the FA Cup by Kings Lynn. If we had won, would Billy Frith have been sacked. No king Jim. Yep. definitely a vet important and memorable game in our history

Cov kid 55

For me, two standout games in my time following City : FA Cup Final 87; and the Midlands match of the century v Wolves ‘67. Some posters have mentioned the ‘61 Kings Lynn defeat as critical in ushering in the Jimmy Hill era. That’s a good call, the start of the ‘Sky Blue Revolution‘. That game was just before my time, but 20 years later, I played alongside a centre half called Mick Wright who, as a 19 year old scored the winner that day against City, as he played his 1,000th game for Lynn, against Runcorn in the NPL. He played well into his 40’s, and ended up playing 1,152 times for Kings Lynn. I was a littleawe struck, playing alongside the man who knocked my beloved Cov out of the FA Cup. They don’t make them like Mick Wright (RIP) anymore.

oscillatewildly

Yes!
One of the most memorable bits was Dion’s leg extending from nowhere to clear off the line…had looked a certain goal.
We were down the front behind the goal and felt really close to the action. I loved Highbury.
Never has a 0-0 felt like a victory.
Agreed on Highbury too - There were a couple of teenagers in our party that day (kids of a couple in our group) They were scoffing at the ground and one even suggested it was shit. i launched to it's defence and reprimanded them on their views, pointing out the art deco stands.
I clearly had a traditionalists old head on my shoulders even back then.

Users who are viewing this thread