CT Thorn We've got to sort it out , big changes are needed (1 Viewer)

Steve.B50

I canoot knock Thorne, he is a decent and honest man, maybe not the greates Manager but he was put in a no win situation. If you want to blame anyone its his assistants (who are Managers) and SUSU themselves, they put him in the job.

Nick

Administrator
I canoot knock Thorne, he is a decent and honest man, maybe not the greates Manager but he was put in a no win situation. If you want to blame anyone its his assistants (who are Managers) and SUSU themselves, they put him in the job.

So they held him at gun point to take it?

It is a bit late to come out and say changes are needed, just sums up his tactical judgement!

I canoot knock Thorne, he is a decent and honest man,

I agree.....but this is football which is an entertainment and results business....hence why we have league tables and cup competitions.

Yes, he may be a nice man, but what the fuck has that got to do with judging talent and ability in his role?????:facepalm:

Lloyd

I can't believe half the bullshit on these forums, I sometimes feel like we all watch different teams every week and that some people on here don't even grasp the concept of talent and growth.

Sorry SB50, not to be personal, but your comments partially explain why we are in the shitty position we are....denial.

There seems to be an attitude amongst some CCFC fans that when things go right (we win an occasional game for example), it's down to Thorn...but when things go wrong then it is everyone else but his fault.....

A manager has to carry responsibility....that's part of his job...as is motivation/tactics/training. He may delegate some of the roles connected with the playing side but ultimately he has some responsibility....otherwise why have a manager????!!!:facepalm::facepalm:

dadgad

We do not know what assurances AT was given when he took the job. If he's been shafted by the hedge fund boyos then this wouldn't be the first time that the integrity of a novice manager has been compromised by a deviant Board.
I think that it has been noticeable amongst the "union" of football managers that almost to a man they have been sympathetic towards the plight of AT.
They know what's been going on, it's only recently that AT has let his mask drop.
Earlier SNOZZER was wheeled out to toe the party line.
Now we're down I wonder if he too will speak out?
He should.

Lloyd

Sorry SB50, not to be personal, but your comments partially explain why we are in the shitty position we are....denial.

There seems to be an attitude amongst some CCFC fans that when things go right (we win an occasional game for example), it's down to Thorn...but when things go wrong then it is everyone else but his fault.....

A manager has to carry responsibility....that's part of his job...as is motivation/tactics/training. He may delegate some of the roles connected with the playing side but ultimately he has some responsibility....otherwise why have a manager????!!!:facepalm::facepalm:

I don't blame thorn for us losing games that were out of his control, missed pens, injury time winners etc (how can he do anything about those?) he knows his players better than we do and most thorn supporters admit he has been tactically naive in a few games and made a few bad decisions.

However these things don't add up to most of the points dropped this season, and compared to the last 5 seasons thorn has done extremely well with what he's had available to hom

dadgad

That's as good as its naive.
Incredible.

blueflint

AT got us playing better football more passing less hoofball our problem stems back years we never score enough goals.every prolific scorer we ever had dried up at cov

Otis

I don't blame thorn for us losing games that were out of his control, missed pens, injury time winners etc (how can he do anything about those?) he knows his players better than we do and most thorn supporters admit he has been tactically naive in a few games and made a few bad decisions.

However these things don't add up to most of the points dropped this season, and compared to the last 5 seasons thorn has done extremely well with what he's had available to hom

Top of my head.

Points dropped - AT - 6-8
Points dropped - players - 10-12
Points dropped - lack of F/T fitness coach - 6-8
Points dropped - players sold (King, Juke, Turner) - 10

That's 38 points. We are now sitting 4th in the table.

:D

AT got us playing better football more passing less hoofball

So he hasn't reverted to hoofball in recent weeks as his Plan B?

More passing...yes...mainly in 5 yard triangles in our area between Clingan and the centre halves...leaving a huge gap between the midfield and attack.

Where is the incisive passing through midlfield to the attackers? Where is the width? Where are the crosses?

Is it deemed as 'good football' because we retain the ball...but we retain the ball in areas of the pitch where we do not hurt the opposition....if we did, why have got the second worst scoring record in the division????

At home, where teams give us more space we can play this '60-yard from goal' possession football...those who travel away will see that this is not the case on our travels as the opposition spend more time attacking in our half stifling this 'in our own half good football'....hence the piss poor away record....

I agree that it is more possession football than under the likes of Don Howe...but please define good football before blindly quoting it as what a team with a win record of 9 in 46 has undertaken all season....(the stats are a clue by the way)....:facepalm:

Chipfat

AT was left in an impossible position, he had to take the job offered even though he knew he wasnt experienced enough. He also was given false promises and has been let down by the board and owners. As for the players they have done all asked of them but came up short. From day one its was going to be hard but with the lack of help and quality brought in to what players were lost this ending has been the only realistic outcome. So blame is all to share but SISU have to shoulder the majority share and now will have to pay for it in either loss of investment or pay to kepp the club running....

We have to start again and in my opinion keep AT involved in the club even if as the cheif scout, bring a new management team in who have fresh ideas and not afraid to change things up... Oggy and Harrison have to go been here to long and really in coaching terms have not moved anything on. Carsley should be brought into first team coaching and then look for a manager with league knowlegde and experience to bring us on with someone like Wilkins as DOC...

TommyAtkins

Good post.

There is a tendancy nowadays to find someone to blame and to make that blame fit our pre-determined narrative.

A false reality normally.

dadgad

Why is it naive?

Do you not agree that - along with SISU and some senior players - AT has to carry some of the blame?

Is it naive to think that AT has no blame attached to his role in this debacle.....

A recent analogy might be recent disclosures about British servicemen dying because of lack of basic equipment.
Now then was this the responsibility of the M o D or the Captain of his brigade who had to back his men and wage a war whilst carrying out orders, keep discipline, show leadership, etc. etc.??????????
Well?

TommyAtkins

A recent analogy might be recent disclosures about British servicemen dying because of lack of basic equipment.
Now then was this the responsibility of the M o D or the Captain of his brigade who had to back his men and wage a war whilst carrying out orders, keep discipline, show leadership, etc. etc.??????????
Well?

I would ask why a Captain is commanding a Brigade.......

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I think AT is absolutely right but then again a lot of us were saying over a year ago big changes were needed through out the club. Yes I understand he might not have been able to say before but I am still tempted to say "no shit sherlock"

No I am not having a go at AT, but it is about time football in general and CCFC & its fans in particular really took in understood and came to terms with the financial realities. We can talk about investing in the team, we can say money needs to be spent etc but where is that money coming from ...... dont just say SISU or GH have to spend it......... they have to have it available first and they have to ensure it doesnt just increase our losses (buy a player yes but what about the wages ? ) or increase our debt ..... there is no real evidence any such money is there at the moment

There is presently no pot to invest in the team, there is no guarantee of new owners, there is a surplus of cost over income, the club could be liquidated let alone go into administration. Yes a root and branch reorganisation of the club needs to be done and realistic expectations established & communicated. As it stands it is not about to be done by extra money being found to make many if any purchases of players. The club has got to be thinking more creatively if the changes are to be made - not going to hold my breathe on either part of that

My suspicion is that if SISU stay then we will rely on youth players and picking up out of contract ones with maybe a loan or two. If GH comes in there might be some investment in buying new players but that will increase debt and probably the losses because it will all be done the same way it has always been done.

I like that AT has spoken out that major changes are needed - I just do not see them happening under this or potentially the next owners. It appears to me that no one has the plan or drive or balls at CCFC to see it through.

Last edited:

Nonleagueherewecome

Agreed LBB-the midfield is an irrelevance with Platt on the pitch.

OK so we are just as effective with Gael in CM than Norwood are we? Comparing our points per game with each player in the side suggests otherwise. That's scientific evidence, almost enough for me to use the "F"-word if I wanted to..

Last edited:

TommyAtkins

I think AT is absolutely right but then again a lot of us were saying over a year ago big changes were needed through out the club. Yes I understand he might not have been able to say before but I am still tempted to say "no shit sherlock"

No I am not having a go at AT, but it is about time football in general and CCFC & its fans really took in understood and came to terms with the financial realities. We can talk about investing in the team, we can say money needs to be spent etc but where is that money coming from ...... dont just say SISU or GH have to spend it......... they have to have it available first and they have to ensure it doesnt just increase our losses (buy a player yes but what about the wages ? ) or increase our debt

There is presently no pot to invest in the team, there is no guarantee of new owners, there is a surplus of cost over income, the club could be liquidated let alone go into administration. Yes a root and branch reorganisation of the club needs to be done and realistic expectations established & communicated. As it stands it is not about to be done by extra money being found to make many if any purchases of players. The club has got to be thinking more creatively if the changes are to be made - not going to hold my breathe on either part of that

My suspicion is that if SISU stay then we will rely on youth players and picking up out of contract ones with maybe a loan or two. If GH comes in there might be some investment in buying new players but that will increase debt and probably the losses because it will all be done the same way it has always been done.

I like that AT has spoken out that major changes are needed - I just do not see them happening under this or potentially the next owners. It appears to me that no one has the plan or drive or balls at CCFC to see it through.

This is exactly right

"We can talk about investing in the team, we can say money needs to be spent etc but where is that money coming from ...... dont just say SISU or GH have to spend it......... they have to have it available first and they have to ensure it doesnt just increase our losses (buy a player yes but what about the wages ? ) or increase our debt"

but still fans can't grip that the club doesn't have any money.

people can whine about busines plan but you need money to implement the plan

Nonleagueherewecome

My suspicion is that if SISU stay then we will rely on youth players and picking up out of contract ones with maybe a loan or two. If GH comes in there might be some investment in buying new players but that will increase debt and probably the losses because it will all be done the same way it has always been done. QUOTE]

Agreed with the first part, but not the second: there are plenty of clubs-indeed I'd say the majority of top 2 division clubs-whose owners put money in, and don't ask for it back. For some it's ego, others it's a love of the game, others the love of the club. Around 90% of football club owners are not in it to make money-at least not directly, although raising their profile may be one way in which they do as a side-effect. Those that go into the game to make money so often lose a lot of money, and especially at the lower levels.

TommyAtkins

My suspicion is that if SISU stay then we will rely on youth players and picking up out of contract ones with maybe a loan or two. If GH comes in there might be some investment in buying new players but that will increase debt and probably the losses because it will all be done the same way it has always been done. QUOTE]

Agreed with the first part, but not the second: there are plenty of clubs-indeed I'd say the majority of top 2 division clubs-whose owners put money in, and don't ask for it back. For some it's ego, others it's a love of the game, others the love of the club. Around 90% of football club owners are not in it to make money-at least not directly, although raising their profile may be one way in which they do as a side-effect. Those that go into the game to make money so often lose a lot of money, and especially at the lower levels.

Football saying - fastest way to become a millionaire is a billionaire buying a football club.

I would expect that any new owner will not be allowed to invest significantly, if at all, in the Cov squad

Brighton Sky Blue

OK so we are just as effective with Gael in CM than Norwood are we? Comparing our points per game with each player in the side suggests otherwise. That's scientific evidence, almost enough for me to use the "F"-word if I wanted to..

Take it with a pinch of salt NLHWC-if I weren't on my phone I'd elaborate!

ohitsaidwalker king power

..doesn't a manager also need the correct personnel to deploy his strategy? If the recruitment policy produces the wrong hires, is that the fault of the manager or the HR function? I think on occasion Thorn has been naive.. I think he would admit it.... but his hands have been tied.....

Users who are viewing this thread