Cup draw (3 Viewers)

Mucca Mad Boys

I hope full strength means we are playing Collins in goal. Wilson was decent last season but looks very nervy now and that could cost us.
Agreed, we really don’t need to be conceding a soft goal against Maidstone. We need to be ruthless and really batter these. Likewise with Wednesday.

A good 2 goal win against Wednesday and follow it up with a crushing win in the 5th round.

It just isn’t ‘super Ben Wilson’ in goal anymore.

Martw

I would presume Cov/Sheff Wed Vs Maidstone is one of the TV games?

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk
Absolutely nailed on regardless of who wins the replay. If it is us then I hope given it will be midweek and live on the tellybox that we price it accordingly.

Balli001

So with wrexham out that means we now have the 2 lowest ranked sides left in our next 2 games should we progress

Astute

Just seen Wednesday play again on the Friday after the replay, we are Sunday

They'll rest more than we will
That's what logic tells us. They're at home to Birmingham. They have a great recent home form. Need to beat Birmingham. 6 points from safety but with a game in hand presently. They have to come to our place where their away form is abysmal.

But beat us for a home tie against a non league side to get to the QF. I would guess that Robins will put out his best side. But it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they do also.

Tommo1993

Wash your filthy mouth out!

No way.

Likely the best day of your City supporting life, that’s good, I get it. Probably my dad’s too. But you have to accept there’s a great sense of detachment for fans born thereafter, as opposed to the older generation defining our club with it. Feel the same for England winning the World Cup. Same reason I won’t donate to the statue. It is what it is, what else is there to say?

Back to the very first reply, people seem to treat that Sutton loss (😴) as a curse.

itsabuzzard

No way.

Likely the best day of your City supporting life, that’s good, I get it. Probably my dad’s too. But you have to accept there’s a great sense of detachment for fans born thereafter, as opposed to the older generation defining our club with it. Feel the same for England winning the World Cup. Same reason I won’t donate to the statue. It is what it is, what else is there to say?

Back to the very first reply, people seem to treat that Sutton loss (😴) as a curse.
It's up there with the very best of them, certainly. I don't think it defines our club, and it's a shame you feel that detachment just because you didn't happen to be there. I'm just a bit too young to have been a part of the Jimmy Hill experience as we charged through the leagues, but I still feel a great deal of pride whenever it's discussed.
Sutton was a car crash but there's no earthly reason why people can't let go. Same with the seemingly endless nonsense talked about Dabo's penalty miss. File it away and enjoy the great times we're having now.

NorthernWisdom

It's up there with the very best of them, certainly. I don't think it defines our club, and it's a shame you feel that detachment just because you didn't happen to be there. I'm just a bit too young to have been a part of the Jimmy Hill experience as we charged through the leagues, but I still feel a great deal of pride whenever it's discussed.
Sutton was a car crash but there's no earthly reason why people can't let go. Same with the seemingly endless nonsense talked about Dabo's penalty miss. File it away and enjoy the great times we're having now.
Without the past there is no future

Astute

No way.

Think you need to put a bit of perspective to it.

Yes we had over 30 years in top flight. But nearly every season was a relegation battle. Hardly anything to cheer other than the rare win against one of the top sides.

We had a couple of seasons towards the late 80's where we finally looked like we would start to compete. We even beat heavy odds on Tottenham in the final and it wasn't a lucky win. No big names against a side full of international players. Think they had won something like 11 Cup finals and never lost one.

Then back to the normal annual relegation battles.

My little boy has had it much better. Started taking him the season we got relegated to League 2. But even then we won at Wembley. The next season another trip to Wembley and promotion. Another couple of seasons and we became League 1 champions. Last season we got as far as penalties in yet another visit to Wembley to get to the Prem.

My little boy is now 13. He thinks we're brilliant because we keep winning things. We keep getting to Wembley. But me? Won one thing since I was a little boy until my little boy started going. I'm in my mid 50's now. Yes I look back at 87 fondly. Maybe because just about every other season was easily forgettable other than the constant escapes from relegation.

Tommo1993

Think you need to put a bit of perspective to it.

Yes we had over 30 years in top flight. But nearly every season was a relegation battle. Hardly anything to cheer other than the rare win against one of the top sides.

We had a couple of seasons towards the late 80's where we finally looked like we would start to compete. We even beat heavy odds on Tottenham in the final and it wasn't a lucky win. No big names against a side full of international players. Think they had won something like 11 Cup finals and never lost one.

Then back to the normal annual relegation battles.

My little boy has had it much better. Started taking him the season we got relegated to League 2. But even then we won at Wembley. The next season another trip to Wembley and promotion. Another couple of seasons and we became League 1 champions. Last season we got as far as penalties in yet another visit to Wembley to get to the Prem.

My little boy is now 13. He thinks we're brilliant because we keep winning things. We keep getting to Wembley. But me? Won one thing since I was a little boy until my little boy started going. I'm in my mid 50's now. Yes I look back at 87 fondly. Maybe because just about every other season was easily forgettable other than the constant escapes from relegation.

Again though, can he drum up any real enthusiasm about an FA Cup win ages ago?

Otis

Booing because they didn’t get Man City away to lose 10-0 to their under 18s in front of a dead crowd. Whether it’s us or Wednesday we’ll be right up for it for a chance to get to a quarter final and a decent crowd, will make for a much better atmosphere/game. Ungrateful wankers.
Welcome to Maidstone.

I wouldn't expect anything less.

Astute

Again though, can he drum up any real enthusiasm about an FA Cup win ages ago?
I do get what you're saying. But I just see it differently.

We've watched the game a few times together over the years. He knows we won the FA Cup when I was just 6 years older than he is now. But hopefully he will never get to learn what it's like to lose most weeks year after year.

I suppose depending on your age similar will be thought of on what's happened so far this century. We will bring up the run under Robins, the tinpot Cup win. Promotion through the divisions. The playoff finals. We appreciate it more because of how low we went. But those in the future will struggle to be enthusiastic about a tinpot Cup win and our years of climbing through the divisions on a shoestring. You need to witness it to appreciate it.

Grendel

But on the same line how many have had reasons not to play for several years then get back into the game? It's the lowest level he has played at. But what higher up side would have given him a chance?

Look at some on here having a hissy fit for saying give him a second look. You would think I said sign him up.
Lowest level? He’s played for Woking and Lewes in the 7th and 8th tier and his only league season was at port vale and he was released

TomRad85

‘magic of the cup’
Tbf I don't fully begrudge fans of non league clubs supporting another team, unless it's a bigger club that should really be in the football league like Oldham or Chesterfield etc... but Maidstone, fair enough really.
Often found people that only support small non league teams to be a touch odd, a bit like Rugby fans in some ways.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Otis

Tbf I don't fully begrudge fans of non league clubs supporting another team, unless it's a bigger club that should really be in the football league like Oldham or Chesterfield etc... but Maidstone, fair enough really.
Often found people that only support small non league teams to be a touch odd, a bit like Rugby fans in some ways.

I seem to find down here in these parts (Maidstone and now Folkestone), that pretty much everyone supports a bigger team first. I do get it, as Gillingham are the only league team in Kent.

But, I wonder what happens when a club comes through the ranks and makes it into the top leagues and remains there.

Would their fans always have a bigger team first and foremost?

I guess it takes a generation to breed a new band of the fans who would latch on to their local team first, rather than a glory club.

Nuskyblue

Definitely this.

Captain_Slackbladder

Definitely this.
I live in Maidstone, my son goes to school here, so whilst Coventry will always be "My Team" it is important to show support for you local team and I want my son to be proud of where he is from and understand the importance of supporting your local club.

Many people there have another club, it is common. Also think how many Cov fans went up to Middlesbrough with Nuneaton in the 3rd round a number of years ago.

Regarding the replay, sales have definitely picked up today, so hopefully this trend will continue and it will be a decent crowd.

It is terrible for Maidstone that potentially their biggest game ever will be midweek. The FA have a lot to answer for in moving the 5th round to a weekend. 5th round for me historically has always been when the competition starts to get a "serious" feel about it

Nick

Administrator
I live in Maidstone, my son goes to school here, so whilst Coventry will always be "My Team" it is important to show support for you local team and I want my son to be proud of where he is from and understand the importance of supporting your local club.

Many people there have another club, it is common. Also think how many Cov fans went up to Middlesbrough with Nuneaton in the 3rd round a number of years ago.

Regarding the replay, sales have definitely picked up today, so hopefully this trend will continue and it will be a decent crowd.

It is terrible for Maidstone that potentially their biggest game ever will be midweek. The FA have a lot to answer for in moving the 5th round to a weekend. 5th round for me historically has always been when the competition starts to get a "serious" feel about it
Not sure about having "2 teams".

Balli001

Maidstone game will be Monday 26th. Assume them the Preston home game om the Saturday before gets moved

Users who are viewing this thread