Curb Your Enthusiasm (1 Viewer)

skybluetony176

Anyone else struggling to keep their expectations for next season in check?

The signings we’ve made look so good it’s almost unbelievable compared to where we’ve been in recent years.

More importantly the new players look to be gelling well in preseason playing some good football and scoring lots of goals.

I have a voice in one ear going we’re going to romp it, we were one penalty away from promotion last season and we’ve improved the squad massively. Then I have a voice in my other ear going don’t be stupid, that doesn’t happen to us.

I genuinely start every season with the expectation of just don’t get relegated and then adjust accordingly to how the season is playing out. I’m struggling to stop myself believing that we’ve got at least playoffs nailed on and automatics are more than achievable.

Marty

Currently the squad is no better than it was last season. The signings so far are only replacing starting players that we lost. If we bring in the 10 more Robins wants, at the same quality then it will be a big improvement overall.

I'm always excited this time of year and no reason we can't be right up there again.

skybluelee

For me it hinges on whether we keep Hamer and whether we can continue to use the loan market as effectively as we have in years gone by. If we do its difficult not to feel excited about what we could achieve. The squad would definitely feel stronger than last year.

On the flip side if Hamer goes that is a massive gap to fill and I can't help thinking about what happened when we lost Keane and McAllister in the same summer in 00.

In summary, I don't know how I feel atm.

fatso

So we bring in a lower league keeper, a rwb who was second choice at Bristol City, a couple of untested CH's. One of whome couldn't even get on the bench in the championship and another who was allowed to leave Swansea for fuck all, a Japanese player who MR doesn't even know where his best position is, and we replace a 20 million pound striker with 3.5 million pound one.

We lose 22 players across various levels and so far we've only managed to attract 6!

O'hare is miles away from fitness, and Allen has a heart problem!

And our best player is refusing to sign a new contract!

And you call that exciting ????

😉 hope that dampened down you enthusiasm.

Last edited:

shmmeee

So we bring in a lower league keeper, a rwb who was second choice at Bristol City, a couple of untested CH's. One of whome couldn't even get on the bench in the championship and another with no experience at this level, a Japanese player who MR doesn't even know where his best position is, and we replace a 20 million pound striker with 3.5 million pound one.

We lose 22 players across various levels and so far we've only managed to attract 6!

Dont forget the box prices!

AFCCOVENTRY

Don’t think anyone is getting carried away too much. Currently we can just about put out a decent team but any injuries and we’re buggered. Squad depth is lacking but Robins knows that and it will get addressed I’m sure. But plenty to be excited about. We’re bringing in quality in each position.

Ashdown

Keep Hamer , bring in 4/5 more decent players and don’t be too greedy on the match day prices and I’ll be more than happy.
Oh and a quality away shirt please

fatso

Don’t think anyone is getting carried away too much. Currently we can just about put out a decent team but any injuries and we’re buggered. Squad depth is lacking but Robins knows that and it will get addressed I’m sure. But plenty to be excited about. We’re bringing in quality in each position.
Did you even read my post?

Attachments

• what-huh.gif
    what-huh.gif
    227.5 KB · Views: 20

tommy hutch legend

So we bring in a lower league keeper, a rwb who was second choice at Bristol City, a couple of untested CH's. One of whome couldn't even get on the bench in the championship and another who was allowed to leave Swansea for fuck all, a Japanese player who MR doesn't even know where his best position is, and we replace a 20 million pound striker with 3.5 million pound one.

O'hare is miles away from fitness, and Allen has a heart problem!

whos to say ellis wont get as many goals as vick and to replace a 20mill striker with a 20 mill striker is daft

skybluetony176

The proof is in the pudding so to speak but my gut feeling is that Ellis is more than capable of replacing Vik when it comes to goals scored, what I’m unsure of is whether he has Viks other attributes. Time will tell.

Cov kid 55

I think there’s a danger that we are over hyping our situation. I think we’ve brought unproven players in, who have potential. And we’re still short in the squad. I worry a bit about the expectation, Leicester may dampen it a bit (although obviously I hope not!)

Macca1987

My enthusiasm is like being on a see saw at the moment, on a high when we hear from MR that he wants to bring another 10 in, then down to the low side when he admits it might be a struggle and we may lose some of the people we were after. I don't want the whole 10 at once, but we seem to be getting new players in in dribs and drabs, 2 or 3 this week would put me back on the high side, fingers crossed PUSB

mmttww

I think we'll be more fun to watch this season, whether that means more or less points at the end.

Concerns about whether we'd recruit the right type of player with permanents a priority have gone.

NorthernWisdom

I can curb my enthusiasm. First Atkinson season we signed lots of players, disappointed immensely.

But anyway, a lot of signings are potential, we don't know how they'll develop whether it be straight away or need a session, and we've lost our talisman and top scorer that's a massive hole to fill.

Hopeful, but if we aren't all that I'll understand why.

Alkhen

I was/am trying to be realistic about the coming season, it looks a very tough league with the teams coming in being seemingly stronger than the ones that left. I sort of see this as a building season.

But I keep seeing us being tipped to make the play-offs again and pundits applauding our business so far... hard not to get a bit giddy

Last edited:

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Mid table for me - we’ve got a rough start in the first 5 games, and I think it’ll take the big turnover of players time to gel. I expect to start slowly and get better as the season goes on. Going for 10th

Hutch11

We've lost that against all odds factor
Our budget would appear to be a lot higher than it was in seasons of old, with this comes higher expectations
But I'm still fuckin buzzin for lesser and can't wait to see how we do overall

Senior Vick from Alicante

I thought this year was going to be the one if we had kept the squad together but players move on, I thought last year was too early and wasn't that despondent for too long after the final. We are bringing in better quality than we had but with a rebuild you have to get players to bond first which is why I think we went as far as we did last year, team spirit took us a long way. I would love to have a run again this year but in all probability it will probably next when we have a real go, also you have another 2 transfer windows to improve again. Just happy to be positive for the first time in 20 years which makes a change, Robins knows what he is doing and King is putting us on the right footing off the pitch.

Offhegoes

I am buzzing. 2 CBs that look of real quality (that our ours) a Japanese wing wizard, an experienced left wing back, and a big man striker who has scored in this division. + Palmer and hopefully soon O'Hare back in the team.

San Francisco

I'll wait and see who Robins brings in by the time the window closes. If it's the likes of Van Ewijk, 2 top quality CBs and a solid 2nd striker then there's a good chance the Wembley disappointment will become a distant memory.

Manchester_sky_blue

I think this season we will definitely see some football. We will undoubtedly win, lose and draw some matches. I feel there is a strong possibility we will score some goals but on the other hand we will definitely concede some too.

I reckon we will play our best players except when their shit. I predict we will finish somewhere between the top and bottom of the league.

I guarantee SBT will be grumbly as fuck throughout.

Flying Fokker

For me it hinges on whether we keep Hamer and whether we can continue to use the loan market as effectively as we have in years gone by. If we do its difficult not to feel excited about what we could achieve. The squad would definitely feel stronger than last year.

On the flip side if Hamer goes that is a massive gap to fill and I can't help thinking about what happened when we lost Keane and McAllister in the same summer in 00.

In summary, I don't know how I feel atm.
Hamer needs to get his hands out of his shorts and sign the contract - Or City need to invite offers for him soon.

Flying Fokker

I can curb my enthusiasm. First Atkinson season we signed lots of players, disappointed immensely.

But anyway, a lot of signings are potential, we don't know how they'll develop whether it be straight away or need a session, and we've lost our talisman and top scorer that's a massive hole to fill.

Curbed is enthusiasm , I think….

mmttww

Curbed is enthusiasm , I think….
star wars cat GIF

napolimp

I've never been so excited for a new football season to begin. Although that may just be because we had such a good season last time out, and I'm hungry for more.

Finham

Just one session? Well let's break out the sake, then!

Macca

Yeh it’s easy Lot of good teams around. Happy with some good entertainment and a top ten finish

ccfcchris

If you're not getting a little excited about the current season with all the good news going around you have to ask yourself why do you bother.

Enjoy it. Make the most of it. If it goes tits up we'll handle that as well. It's what happens in football.

Users who are viewing this thread