Daniel Pelka (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Disgusting that this wasn't picked up and the child taken away to live with a family who would actually look after him.

Surely schools would have been picking up on the state he was in?

Poor lad.

Hopefully the mother and boyfriend will get what they deserve as soon as they get inside.

sweeno70

just saw on the news about the 4 year old boy that was starved to death by his mum,his school teacher gave evidence saying that he would steal food from other children and was very under weight, Why did she not do anything about it ??? surely you would expect a person in her job to act on this ??? no use telling us now love,your too late ,hes dead !!!!!

Nick

Administrator
To be fair it wasn't the teachers starving the kid but surely it is obvious if something isn't right?

Otis

just saw on the news about the 4 year old boy that was starved to death by his mum,his school teacher gave evidence saying that he would steal food from other children and was very under weight, Why did she not do anything about it ??? surely you would expect a person in her job to act on this ??? no use telling us now love,your too late ,hes dead !!!!!

Thought exactly the same thing.

He stole food and looked really thin and his eyes were sunken.

What did the teacher do? Locked the food away.

Had I been the teacher and had saw him malnourished I would 1. report it and 2. Bring him in some fruit or some food everyday rather than lock all the food away.

To refuse food to a starving child just seems entirely wrong, rules or no rules.

EDIT

Confused now, cos in spite of a teacher saying yesterday that he stole food, the head is now saying he did not steal food.

:confused:
Sent from my KIS using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

skybluejelly

If you read it the school reported several incidents ...it is then up to the social services to follow it up ..they finally acted when the school reported him after he ate half a birthday cake...the parents want treating the same way they treated the child

Nick

Administrator
In one of the reports it said he was looking in bins for food and on the playground for bits of food, surely if you see a 4 year old doing that you know something is wrong so that the parents could have been caught and the child taken off them before he was hurt any more.

skybluejelly

Nick teachers hands are tied nowadays..all you can do is report it to social services and then the ball is in there court..obviously the police will be involved but once again that is in conjunction with social services

Otis

I would have given him food though. Even just some fresh fruit everyday and just told him to not say anything.

Sent from my KIS using Tapatalk 2

Nick

Administrator
Or just given him a hot dinner and paid for it myself. If it is true that he looked like something from a concentration camp then surely bells would be ringing.

When I go to take my daughter to nursery I can tell the kids that aren't as privileged as soon as they walk in and what their parents are like, I know it is wrong to judge though but sometimes it can't be helped.

Mucca Mad Boys

Pretty fucked up this can happen in a developed country, unfortunately, it does happen, and it is clear that this lad has been failed, firstly social services should've been on to this, but also, if teachers noticed anything up, they should report, so aside from the parents, the system has failed this lad and it was very preventable, sad to hear.

Sky Blue Dal

RIP Daniel

Have been reading about this case since yesterday ... poor, poor kid.

This is definitely failing my the school, medical care and social services. The parents told them he had a eating disorder, surely the social services could have check his records out on his GP records to illuminate abuse. Looks like they did not follow it through.

I remember when I was at school a health visitor would come once every year to check the health and growth progression of all the children at school... They seem to have got rid of all that these days...shame if they had it today he would be alive.

The mother is a low life!!

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Unfortunately it takes a tragedy like this for processes to be reviewed!

Teacher seemed pretty upset over it, but with the head seemingly contradicting what te teacher has said, one wonders if the teacher did raise concerns, and these weren't followed up by her seniors. Just an assumption, but seems strange that two people from the same school, but each at different levels in the hierarchy have conflicting stories.

I hope the parents get what they deserve, even if they are stating their innocence

RedSalmon

I would question just how effective the reporting process was between school and Social Services.

I would also question how many people within the Polish community within Coventry knew or had suspicions about this situation and said nothing.

Child protection is everybody's responsibility.

dutchman

I can remember cases like this dating back to the 1970s and there was always a big inquiry and the government always said "This must never be allowed to happen again" and of course it still does with horrifying regularity.

Flying Fokker

I can remember cases like this dating back to the 1970s and there was always a big inquiry and the government always said "This must never be allowed to happen again" and of course it still does with horrifying regularity.

And across all of society.

Flying Fokker

Unfortunately it takes a tragedy like this for processes to be reviewed!

Teacher seemed pretty upset over it, but with the head seemingly contradicting what te teacher has said, one wonders if the teacher did raise concerns, and these weren't followed up by her seniors. Just an assumption, but seems strange that two people from the same school, but each at different levels in the hierarchy have conflicting stories.

I hope the parents get what they deserve, even if they are stating their innocence

My understanding of these type of events is that support post event is very poor and short . So much so that teachers themselves are on the edge. There is always blame but teachers report upwards. It is their duty to do so. Inertia is the problem.

The Penguin

I'm not sure how the system works in England, but here in Victoria we are expected to report anything ourselves if we suspect abuse. It's not simply enough to tell someone in leadership, we are mandated to report.

The fact that the head of school is contradicting what the teacher says doesn't sound good though. The teacher would be in a far better position to comment on the student's everyday behaviour. To me it sounds like the head of school is just trying to cover his, and the school's, arses.

Just my reading though as a schoolteacher in a land far away.

stupot07

I'm not sure how the system works in England, but here in Victoria we are expected to report anything ourselves if we suspect abuse. It's not simply enough to tell someone in leadership, we are mandated to report.

The fact that the head of school is contradicting what the teacher says doesn't sound good though. The teacher would be in a far better position to comment on the student's everyday behaviour. To me it sounds like the head of school is just trying to cover his, and the school's, arses.

Just my reading though as a schoolteacher in a land far away.

It's the same here, if you suspect or someone discloses something a teacher has to report it to social services.

dutchman

When I lived in Bond Street in the 1950s and a neighbour (mistakenly) thought I wasn't being fed properly she fed me herself!

That's the difference between Coventry then and Coventry now, we had a "community" then which looked after its own.

Flying Fokker

I think it is hard to draw comparisons with the 1950's. Safeguarding procedures are now in place but professionals are between the devil and the deep blue sea. They are damned if they do/ damned if they don't and there is little room for recovery from any of the outcomes.

The only way forward is to contract parents in to agreeing to Social care intervention without litigation or redress if someone makes an incorrect safeguarding allegation.

Maybe we will end up with more kids on the street? In this situation we read of various measures taken by the authorities and yet no single organisation took the decision to withdraw the child.

wingy

Anyone up to date with This .The Evidence of a Sibling is Damning ,heart breaking Tragedy and cruelty.

Nick

Administrator
Haven't seen any more, the telegraph aren't covering it as much now I don't think?

wingy

The siblings within the house had heard him being virtually drowned on several occasions ,and rescued him ,consoled and dried him ,even at the fateful moment by the sound of it ,and had stolen or requested extra's to feed him .

Users who are viewing this thread