Day Trippers, Glory Hunters....isnt it getting a bit boring now? (1 Viewer)

Flying Fokker

Could have sworn I’d seen Dermot Gallagher in the concourse before kick off?

so me and the kids all season ticket holders. Went every game from the Bristol city game season before (3-2 game), didn’t go st andrews, but the league 2 and league one seasons were in corporate every home game at the Ricoh.

me and the mrs has ST’s for years at Ricoh until the children came along, then she forego hers and I carried on with my mates. She used to go a lot before we met to highfield rd, was at the charity shield game in 1987.

she’s been to a couple of games this season plus Wembley? Does that make her a “daytripper” or a plastic fan cos the kids wanted her to come with us as a family?

equally I know people who missed out on tickets who are similar - used to be season ticket holders for years, only go every now and then nowadays cos of circumstances, so I understand the argument, but don’t think it’s fair to label supporters.
Absolutely not.

HerneBayGaz

I haven't got a problem with fans who only go to the so called big games. I would rather they went, instead of rows of empty seats. The problem I had, the lady in front of me stood up and put her bag on the seat and started dishing out food sweets etc, blocking my view. Totally ablivous of what she was doing. I take umbridge to that. Totally inconsiderate.

bigfatronssba

There was a huge amount who won't appear until the next Wembley trip, but hopefully a fair few may have caught the bug.
I personally know of dozens who attended their first ever Cov game on Saturday.
How do we describe them? because they certainly aren't Cov fan's.

Huge amount?

We sold 31k tickets on priority sale.

WestEndAgro

Yep, I'd say several thousand, may only be 1,000 who knows, still a significant amount of people with little or no intrest in Cov.
I'm not complaining about that, more about what label we give them.
Band wagon /plastics or something else.
PUSB 💙

SBAndy

My issue was always the entitled lot that turned up at big games and started getting on the team’s back if we weren’t 3-0 up inside 10 minutes. I think back to the Crewe game in the JPT as the prime example.

None of that on Saturday though and all more than welcome back. I know of a couple ‘Man U fans’ who have been coming to games recently and may well be converted. Already have one former Utd fan I converted by taking to Walsall & Port Vale away!

Deity

Clubs grow by persuading none supporters to become occasional supporters and occasional supporters to become more committed supporters … every club is the same.

Support is no longer measured by the number of matches you attend. It’s now about the value you bring to a club through merchandise, ifolllow, social media audience, etc etc …. Why do you think the top premiership clubs travel to Asia and the US for pre season tours … it’s to help do just that.

pretending that these fans are somehow plastic or glory hunters is both unhelpful and small minded.

Those fans that chose to follow Cov away when we were in lg2 did so for themselves, I did it, but I did it because I enjoyed it ( mostly ) I never ever went because I felt that made my support greater than another fans.

Winny the Bish

As I may have mentioned on another thread. As we were coming out of the Yellow Zone on Saturday there was this guy shouting "Day trippers" to fellow fans as we were walking down the ramps. "They'll be thirty thousand there every week with you lot, won't there, next season?", etc etc. Even his mates tried to quieten him down, but he wasn't having any of it. Total prick.
Think I may have been in the same area when this happened. Was walking next to a bellend shouting about how he made the trip up to Middlesbrough twice in 10 days while all the "day trippers" just come out for Wembley. Such nauseating crap.

bigfatronssba

It’s a bit embarrassing how all these fake fans created such a good atmosphere against Birmingham & Middlesbrough.

Perhaps they’re better at singing than the “real fans”?

torchomatic

Think I may have been in the same area when this happened. Was walking next to a bellend shouting about how he made the trip up to Middlesbrough twice in 10 days while all the "day trippers" just come out for Wembley. Such nauseating crap.

yeah, that's the guy.

napolimp

If we want to grow as a club this is what we have to go through.
It's either that or have 7k of us rattling around the ground in L2 wanking each other off because we went to Forest Green in the checkatrade

Maybe more would go if they knew a free hand job was on offer.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Plastic, Glory hunters , it's money for the club is it not.

Just look at yesterday game at Wembley, All them empty seats in the Barnsley end.

ajsccfc

I saw one tweet about how all the day trippers had gone while the real fans stayed behind to applaud the team off. As a season ticket holder I was out of there before Dabo's penalty came back into the earth's atmosphere, fuck that

napolimp

I saw one tweet about how all the day trippers had gone while the real fans stayed behind to applaud the team off. As a season ticket holder I was out of there before Dabo's penalty came back into the earth's atmosphere, fuck that

To be fair, though I have no experience from a players point of view, I doubt you'd want to be walking around the pitch applauding fans at a moment like that. Assuming your emotions would be all over the place.

croatskyblue

If we want to grow as a club this is what we have to go through.
It's either that or have 7k of us rattling around the ground in L2 wanking each other off because we went to Forest Green in the checkatrade

very true

It’s hardly groundbreaking news that a lot of people like the idea of a huge occasion at the national stadium and I don’t get how it’s offensive. What do we want to do, ban people for not being ‘proper fans?’

anyway it’s exaggeration, only a small proportion were ‘day trippers’, the entire allocation was almost gone before they even got to general sale, people talk as if it was mostly kids and people who’d never been to a game before

PUSB-We_are_going_up

No offence here but those who turn ip just for wembely or a big occasion are day trippers. Where were you when we were shit. I was there in the stands never left early, even Yeovil 6-2 in league 2. Those who refuse to come for petty reasons are day trippers, those who cant come for genuine reason like cost, caring, work, family, mental health or physical health. Anything that inhibits then they are not day trippers

quinn1971

yeah, that's the guy.
gurantee that he also brags about how we took 40 odd thousand to the check a trade final,I’ve got nothing but admiration for the fans who were travelling away in the dark days of league 2, or rattling around in a nearly empty Ricoh, it was them I was gutted for Saturday, obviously like every other club there was fans there just for the day out, and why not, although iv’e heard too many “ it’s been a great day, it wasn’t a great day,we lost, for some fans that was everything and it’ll take a little bit longer to get over than some,

Deity

No offence here but those who turn ip just for wembely or a big occasion are day trippers. Where were you when we were shit. I was there in the stands never left early, even Yeovil 6-2 in league 2. Those who refuse to come for petty reasons are day trippers, those who cant come for genuine reason like cost, caring, work, family, mental health or physical health. Anything that inhibits then they are not day trippers
You don’t get it do you. 🤦🏻‍♂️

OffenhamSkyBlue

The slight issue i have is with those who refer to "occasional" attendees (who love the City but have their own reasons for not having an ST) as day-trippers or plastic, yet are perfectly willing to get a second ticket for Wembley as part of their ST allowance and have that ticket used by someone (be it spouse, child, parent, sibling or mate) who is no less "occasional".

San Francisco

I’d go more often if I didn’t usually work lates and Saturdays. Doesn’t help that Saturday is normally the only day I can see my friends though we tend to keep our meetings every 3-4 weeks.

I’m definitely looking to go to most home games next season though when I can.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

I’d go more often if I didn’t usually work lates and Saturdays. Doesn’t help that Saturday is normally the only day I can see my friends though we tend to keep our meetings every 3-4 weeks.

Just get all your friends to buy season tickets and then you can meet up every 2 weeks. 😆

Rugby Sky Blue

To be honest I do find it a little annoying the amount of people who I know support Liverpool, Manchester United etc who are claiming to be Coventry fans once we got to the play off final. Most of these people have never showed much interest in Coventry before. I would rather have my moment in the sun with fellow Coventry fans after all of the shit years rather than having glory supporters jumping on the bandwagon when times are good.

napolimp

Same boat, amazing how the entirety of society doesn't revolve around 3pm kick-offs on a Saturday.

Users who are viewing this thread