Debuts (2 Viewers)

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Yeah against Derby when ray winstone was there filming, although he did almost get sent off first couple of minutes for scything through Seth Johnson.

I remember Joe Cole’s and he got a free kick and there was this noise that came over the stadium that I’ve not heard before as he was stepping back, like of expectation of seeing something special, and of course it went in off the bar.
Only time Ive heard it since was just after the initial cheer for Palmers goal against Oxford.
It was straight from kick off. Deffo should have been sent off 😂 I’d imagine the ref bottles it sending players off in the first 30 seconds

Cole’s debut was Swindon away - he was blowing out his arse and was taken off at half time

nicksar

The cracking goal by Torp prompted some mentions of debuts on the other thread. Two debuts I saw live which will always live in the memory are:

Steve Hunt at Derby in '78, which was also the debut for the chocolate brown kit! Hunt scored a belter with his left foot, and went on to be a superb player for us.

Robbie Keane's awesome debut, also against Derby but this time at Highfield Road in 1999. Two fine goals and such a classy display from probably as good a player as we've ever had, but it's a pity it wasn't to last.

Any other debut recollections, good or bad?
I remember watching Steve Hunt playing as a guest for New York Cosmos against Chelsea in 1978/79 (was our player by then)...he was fantastic in a star studded Cosmos team,I couldn't believe he wasn't yet a regular for us...one of my all time favourite City players.

Hobo

He
Here’s one I remember as a kid:

Jose Perdomo.

Looked to be in a different level in midfield.

F knows what happened to him.

He did look a different level. Wasn't he shaping to take a free kick at Villa Park then fell to the turf clutching his knee?

It then became apparent how we had managed to sign such class - his knee was shot?

Terry_dactyl

He

He did look a different level. Wasn't he shaping to take a free kick at Villa Park then fell to the turf clutching his knee?

It then became apparent how we had managed to sign such class - his knee was shot?
He hobbled off close to where we were sat, to warm applause. Now when I think of him I can only imagine him looking like a taller Diego Maradona…and dreaming of what might’ve been.

JulianDarbyFTW

Didn't Cobi Jones win a penalty on his debut vs Leeds? It was an age ago and I haven't checked online, so probably wrong!

andy86

Can't remember if he scored on his debut or not, but was convinced that Tony Andreu was going to be class for us.

Seemed to fizzle out, then did his ACL.

Calista

I remember watching Steve Hunt playing as a guest for New York Cosmos against Chelsea in 1978/79 (was our player by then)...he was fantastic in a star studded Cosmos team,I couldn't believe he wasn't yet a regular for us...one of my all time favourite City players.
Yep, many skills including whipping a wicked left-footed cross around a defender. Can't think of anyone we've had in the last few years who could do that. Too often we just spoon the ball into the box.

wingy

Did he come back to us for a second time?.So I think he went over there from us the returned possibly with American season finishing then carrying on with us.

nicksar

Did he come back to us for a second time?.So I think he went over there from us the returned possibly with American season finishing then carrying on with us.
He went and played on loan for the cosmos while still being our player 👍

Major Tom

Careful! Under the Trades Descriptions Act (1972) I don’t think you’re allowed to describe what Tyler Walker did at Pompey as ‘playing football’.
from Wiki - On 5 August 2023, he made his permanent Lincoln City debut, starting against Bolton Wanderers. However, just five games later he was ruled out for eight weeks with a hamstring injury. On 7 December, it was confirmed that Walker suffered a recurrence of the hamstring problem and was likely to miss the rest of the 2023–24 season
:(

thekidfromstrettoncamp

George Kirby

I think he scored a hat-trick but not sure as it was about 60 years ago
I think the George you are thinking of is the "Hud"in the bad winter of 1963 he signed in the April to replace another legend Terry Bly 25 goals in 32 games .We all thought Jimmy Hill had gone mad but first game the "Hud" got a hat-trick. The first from memory he had his back to their cente half made out he was going right of him and foxed him a went left.Then centre forwards didn't do that they played like a bull in a china shop taking centrehalfs and anyone who tried to stop him with them.No protection for goalies then back of the net with ball in hand .Instant success never looked back.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Tony Dobson..I'm pretty sure he made his debut against Liverpool at Highfield Road around 1986. Man of the match as far as I was concerned. No one got past him. He was absolute quality.

Legia Sky Blue

Seem to remember Marcus Hall having a terrific game in a televised match at HR (Man U maybe). It was the first time I'd seen him, but not sure if it was his actual debut.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Stuart Pearce - can't remember who the QPR winger was, but within the first few minutes Pearce had taken the man and ball in what was deemed a fair tackle in those days, dumping him into the first few rows in the Sky Blue Stand. The winger unsurprisingly didn't contribute anything for the remainder of the match :)

Also remember Mark Hateley aged about 17 making his debut in the last game of the season at home to Wolves and absolutely terrorising their defence.
Some great points made.

Not strictly relevant but Mark Hateley made his debut in the snow. Yes snow in May.

alexccfc99

Can't remember if he scored on his debut or not, but was convinced that Tony Andreu was going to be class for us.

Seemed to fizzle out, then did his ACL.
Andreu signed - did his ACL almost instantaneously then scored a free kick against Scunny first game of the following season, everyone thought he was going to be unbelievable and barely did anything after that

*also* worth mentioning that game Abu Ogogo made his debut was flying into tackles like Roy Keane and everyone thought we'd found our holding centre mid for years... he left 5 months later :ROFLMAO:

alexccfc99

Really got me racking my brains this thread

Not sure if it was his debut but one of Bakayoko's first games was the one where Biamou did hit ligaments at Blackpool and he come on for him and was fucking hopeless :ROFLMAO: must have been flagged offside 10 times and was subbed back off - You'd have got great odds on him becoming a cult hero after that

wingy

Andreu signed - did his ACL almost instantaneously then scored a free kick against Scunny first game of the following season, everyone thought he was going to be unbelievable and barely did anything after that

*also* worth mentioning that game Abu Ogogo made his debut was flying into tackles like Roy Keane and everyone thought we'd found our holding centre mid for years... he left 5 months later :ROFLMAO:
Weird contract? Came on a signing with a signing on fee?

Grendel

Steve Livingstone - 4 goals v Sunderland at home - can't believe nobody's mentioned that

That wasn’t his debut was it?

Users who are viewing this thread